1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

oil spill... did they kill my car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bjg, Jul 25, 2015.

1. bjg

bjg New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    help! last week i took my year old 2014 prius 2 in for scheduled maintenance- which included oil change. on my way home, i noticed i was "smoking". i pulled over to be sure i wasn't on fire & discovered i was loosing oil. i turned around & drove back to the dealership. i was ~20 miles in the country. the yellow exclamation point and "low oil pressure" kept beeping & flashing until towards the end they came on & stayed on. i limped to the dealership with hybred alert on & they had to admit that the plug was cross threaded. after changing the oil pan & plug & felt door pad, they are trying to tell me that this car is totally fine and as good as new. i drive over 450miles each week for work & at least twice a year drive 1000 miles one way without stopping- a 16 hour trip by myself. i don't trust this car anymore.... would you? oops, wrong prius type, went to correct one

#1 bjg, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! no, contact toyota directly. and if they won't give you satisfaction, a lawyer. at the very least you should get free oil changes (not sure i'd want them changing my oil) and a lifetime engine warranty. at best, a replacement engine now. all the best.(y) maybe send it to blackstone for testing.

3. bjg

bjg New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    help! last week i took my year old 2014 prius 2 in for scheduled maintenance- which included oil change. on my way home, i noticed i was "smoking". i pulled over to be sure i wasn't on fire & discovered i was loosing oil. i turned around & drove back to the dealership. i was ~20 miles in the country. the yellow exclamation point and "low oil pressure" kept beeping & flashing until towards the end they came on & stayed on. i limped to the dealership with hybred alert on & they had to admit that the plug was cross threaded. after changing the oil pan & plug & felt door pad, they are trying to tell me that this car is totally fine and as good as new. i drive over 450miles each week for work & at least twice a year drive 1000 miles one way without stopping- a 16 hour trip by myself. i don't trust this car anymore.... would you?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no. tell them you want a new engine, and contact toyota directly if they don't comply.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a similar with mine. Holy Crap | PriusChat Talk to the Service Manager directly. Have everything documented and in hand. Call Toyota and open a case. Mine was handled correctly, but you can not assume your local will do the same.

Edit...I never had the light, you however should have not driven any further when you noticed the smoke and light/s.

#5 frodoz737, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    Priusguy78213 likes this.
  6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would file a written complaint with Toyota by certified letter and then check my oil consumption weekly. Probably is ok since it uses full synthetic but if you can get an extended warranty out of them, you are better off. Obviously the best thing to do when you have low oil pressure is to immediately shut it off and get a tow.

7. John Bergendahl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    New engine !!!! If they tell you everything is ok and couple of years after you are out of warranty the engine go bad you don't want to have the thought in the back of your mind its because of this !

8. bjg

bjg New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah, well i'm gonna plead ignorance...... i've learned alot this past week ... the hard way

9. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would notify Toyota customer care and demand to watch them change the oil in 3000 miles, bring your own clear glass container for them to drain it into and a good magnet, if the magnet attracts bits of metal from the oil your motor is damaged.Id record the entire oil change...but in reality you should have called the dealer and had the car towed at their expense ..

10. seckwielen

seckwielen Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As I do not hold the oil service location harmless. They did cross thread the plug. I think driving on the leak and smoke was a huge mistake. 20miles??? I would have contacted the service location and had them send out a technician to diagnose the problem. Maybe an on site correction and a new pan and plug later. But driving 20 miles with a clear low oil condition, I think they have some fuel to to have you partially responsible as well.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 ?

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    one is not supposed to drive without oil no matter whose fault it is.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    however, if one is ignorant of the consequences, that may mitigate the fault of the o/p.

13. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At the first sign of trouble, I would have first called the place tell them to send a wrecker and rental.
    Its not your job to even think about what happened. But if you continued to drive after the oil pressure warning lamp turned on, they MAY have a point.

Get Toyota HQ involved. They should be able to resolve this. If not, lawyer up and sue them.

LG-D851 ?

NickInNJ likes this.