1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OK, a very small question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DeanFL, Jul 9, 2009.

1. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    About a small dot. The tires. In my case the Toyo 17". All four have a small circle, about 1/2" in diameter. Midway on the sidewalls in Red ink. (no government jokes please). And a small yellow stamp 180 degrees from that. I always thought that was an indicator by the mfr where to install the wheel valve stem on the tire for balancing. First, all 4 of mine are nowhere near the spots.

But my primary question - how can these spots be removed? I've tried soap and elbow grease. Nope. No big thing but so far two people looking at the car said "What are those dots for?" My answer included a "duhhh".

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'll be honest I don't know what the dots are for but they drive me nuts too! I have one on each of my Michelin's. If I take the time mine pull off a bit but in pieces... On cars past after a few months they just come off but I wash every week by hand and use rubber cleaner on each tire before washing and scrub it in with a tire brush so I'm cure this helps loosen them up making them come off a bit faster...

3. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i have them too on my yokihamas

4. DeanFL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Man, this stuff tends to PO me.

Something that makes it easier for a manufacturer or supplier or service - at the expense of the end consumer.

Now that I've seen it's common, thought I'd google. My initial assumption is right.... here's a sample:
    ----------------------------
    When mounting and balancing tires, here is a little trick.
    Most tire manufacturers supply some sort of marking on the tire to show where the lightest part of the tire is. This is usually a red, yellow or white mark.
    "Some METZELER tires have a red dot in the tire sidewall to indicate the lightest point which should be positioned next to the valve."
    "Dunlop street tires have yellow balance dots in the bead or sidewall area to indicate the lightest point of the tire. All Dunlop street tires should be installed with these balance dots at the valve."
    DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE!!
    I spent some time and balanced my rear wheel without a tire in place. I found that the heaviest point on the wheel was actually 90 degrees away from the tire valve. That would be the correct point to place the lightest point on the tire. I checked the wheel with the sprocket carrier in place as well, but it made no difference in the balance of the wheel. The red dot on the new metzler shown was very accurate as to the location of the lightest point on the tire.
    Take some time and find the heaviest part of your wheel and mark it. I used some blue paint pen (my red paint pen was at work). you could also scribe the point with some sort of obvious mark.
    This will make the wheel easier to balance and use fewer weights, sometimes, none at all.
    ------------------------------------------

Again, my valve stems are nowhere near the dots.
    But still - How do you remove these dots? They do appear to be paint... Why did they make them 'permanent'?

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mine have always come off but it took a little time. Before washing the car I always clean the tires and rims, then wash.

I clean the tires with rubber cleaner and a stiff bristle tire brush.

Rubber Cleaner - Cleaners - Wheels & Tires - Car Care - Griot's Garage

Tire Scrubbing Tire Brush - Cleaning Tools - Wheels & Tires - Car Care - Griot's Garage

Wheel Cleaner - Cleaners - Wheels & Tires - Car Care - Griot's Garage

Now, the dots on my Michelin's this time around actually do 'peel off' a bit but not easily. This is different compared to the dots on previous cars tires, as those were more painted on type and they were really hard to get off. It just took time and continuous cleaning as described above and they cam off...

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mine came off with a rag and some water--and elbow grease. After a bit of rubbing, they flaked off. Or try Goo Gone.

1 person likes this.
  7. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine appear to be pretty close to lined up properly.

8. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    they indicate the heaviest point on the tire and under no circumstances be removed

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes--because when it's removed, the weight on that part of the tire will decrease...dramatically... :D

10. DeanFL

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, it's over. Took a bit of mineral spirits on an old rag and with a bit of back<>forth pressure, they came right off. 5 min job.

As I was doing it I was thinking, "Out, damn'd spot"

Then for good measure I went to the bedroom and took the tags off the mattress. I felt rebellious.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They're present on the 15" tires as well - must be something Toyota uses during manufacturing?

12. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I used a solvent to take these marks off of my tires. I think that it was Goo B Gone.

13. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The tire manufacturer would do that during the manufacture of the tire, wouldn't they?

Though I must admit I've only seen the spots on new tires on new vehicles, not on replacement tires (that I can recall).

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The tire manufacturer puts the dots on them--I've had them on replacement tires as well.

15. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You still have that tag on your mattress don't you. :D

16. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    of course, i understand the mattress will spontaneously combust when removed

17. jaywolf

jaywolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    On most tire including motorcycle tire that I change quite often a yellow dot marks the lightest point on the tire so when you install them you put the yellow dot at the valve stem (usually the heaviest point of the rim) to use the least amount on weights possible.
    once the tire has been use the light spot may move so it has no value.

I read this:
    Some original equipment manufacturers are doing this kind of match mounting when they mount tires and wheels on new trucks. The tire is marked with a red dot at the high point, and this is matched with the low point dimple on steel wheels.
    This is about truck but it may be similar.

18. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are a wild thing! :p

Thanks for posing this question - I wondered how long they'd be on there - was surprized the dealer didn't clean them off as part of prepping the car.