1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Older iPod connection issues with 2012 Prius 4

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by blizzardprius2012, May 25, 2012.

1. blizzardprius2012

blizzardprius2012 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2012 Prius 4, with Navi/Entune. I have an earlier generation iPod that is not detected when I connect via USB. I've updated the firmware with Apple to meet the version required by Toyota, (believe it is 1.1.3). I'm also able to connect to other devices successfully with the same USB cable, (so it should not be a cable problem).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. blizzardprius2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I should add that the USB cable is a factory Apple, iPod cable.

Thanks.

3. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have an old iPod, not sure the model, but with latest Apple sw. Works great using Apple cable.

4. blizzardprius2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, Big Steve. It's reassuring to know that it should work.

What should I expect to see when it works? Should the music just start playing through once I connect, (and have the iPod set to play)? Do I have to select 'USB' from the Audio menu?

When I connect, the music does not automatically play through the system, and the 'USB' audio menu option is disabled.

I had the latest software loaded as of last week. It still wasn't working. I'll check iTunes again to see if there is another update.

If anyone has experienced the same issue and found the step(s) necessary to resolve the problem, your help is greatly appreciated.

5. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With the iPod connected by USB, when the car start it says something on the screen like "iPod connected". The you just go from FM -> SAT -> until iPod is a choice.

If you get it unning and turn the car off with iPod playing and leave iPod in console, it will start running as soon as you power up.

Good luck, let us kow how it goes

1 person likes this.
  6. blizzardprius2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Very good to know. Thanks again for the replies. I'll keep you posted, hopefully with good news.

7. blizzardprius2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately, no dice. I even did a full iPod restore in iTunes and made sure the latest firmware is installed, again.

Also, using the same iPod cable, I plugged in an iTouch iPod and it worked just as you described. The iPod option appeared in the Audio source menu, and the music played through like a charm.

It's pretty frustrating. I'm going to have to contact Toyota.

I'm still open to any other suggestions, or tips. :) Thanks again, Big Steve, for the info.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It would help to list which iPod you have. See Identifying iPod models

There's also no such thing as an "iTouch iPod". There are various generations of the iPod Touch.

1 person likes this.
  9. blizzardprius2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We might be splitting hairs on the iTouch vs. iPod Touch name. ;-) Sorry, it's 2 AM here and I'm a bit frustrated. Any help you can offer, would be great.

My iPod is a second generation iPod Nano, firmware version 1.1.3 (latest as of this week from Apple). When I connect it via USB in the center console, the device charges. However, nothing appears on the display: no error messages (I've read about others experiencing 'incompatible device' errors), and the iPod source is not available on the Audio menu.

I've also tried plugging it into two different cars now, same year and model, (2012 Prius 4); same results. Now that I've seen the iPod Touch works without any hassle, I can't help but wonder if Toyota cut off support for older devices. I found a support document on the Toyota owner's website that lists the supported iPod models/versions, and version 1.1.3 is listed. I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

10. blizzardprius2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, I found the answer I didn't want to find. After looking at the Toyota Prius Audio System Operation Quick Reference guide again, I found that Toyota's iPod Nano support skips a generation. It just so happens they support the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th generation iPod Nano, not the 2nd generation.

I was so focused on the firmware version that I didn't pay as much attention to the actual model support; Toyota supports the 3rd generation iPod Nano with the same firmware version, 1.1.3. Thanks, cwerdna for making me pay more attention to the model, and not just the firmware version.

So, now the next question...bite the bullet and get a new iPod?

Thanks again for your help Big Steve, and cwerdna.

11. blizzardprius2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  12. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    sorry yours doesn't work. As to the next question, I can only tell you that my iPad is my fav source over FM, XM and Pandora.