1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OMG......Center Dash Rattle.... HELP!! (please)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jharper03, Jul 9, 2014.

1. jharper03

jharper03 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK so I bought my Prius a little over a week ago and there was no rattle. I drove it 350 miles to get it home and it was completely silent. A couple of days ago I heard a slight rattle, and its not even a rattle is like rubbing 2 Styrofoam cups together, but now today it is extremely loud. So loud that I can still hear it over the radio blasted. I have pressed everywhere on the dash and cannot quiet the noise. It sounds like it is dead center under the vent. First thing I did was to come on here and research. I have read tons and tons of threads regarding removing dash and placing felt but I could not find instructions on how to remove the dash. Does anyone have step by step instructions?

Thank you in advance.

Josh

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's the Gen III (2010-2015) that has generic problems with dash rattles. You will need to get a helper to push on the various sections of the dash/console will you drive. You might find the problem area that way.

4. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's most probably not the dash but the plastic part that goes above the windshield and under the hood. It's mounted with some clips and uses some foam between it's two parts. Check that. I would bet you would find your rattle.

jharper03 likes this.
  5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Print and read the link nh7o posted. Then grab a 10mm socket, a Phillips screwdriver, and a small thin putty knife. Now follow the directions and rip your dash apart. I can do mine in 10 minutes As you pull it apart look and feel around for something loose. If necessary, with most of the dash left out of the car, it will still drive fine. Find a safe spot to do some test driving, better yet have someone else drive around and you listen for the squeek. To put the dash back, reverse disassemble order! Or take it to a dealer and spend hundreds for them to do the exact same thing!

Prius_Angie likes this.