1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Once more: ToyotaCare Plus

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Scott_R, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I received an email about the ToyotaCare Plus program with the usual offer to extend it to the 45k service for $299.
    I'd read the posts here saying it's not worth it, but I was just curious about some of the numbers the email cites: it says "A 30,000 mile service at your local participating dealer averages $169."

My local dealer says that the 30k service is $79.99. That's a pretty big disconnect; I've read posts here where people were paying $300 for the 30,000.

What could account for this?

2. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Could be they're quoting the average for all vehicles, not just the Prius, as a way to get you to buy it. There are a lot of items to be "checked" in the 30,000 mile service, so people saying $300 might have needed more than just the basic service. The price they quote you is just for the basic service that doesn't include things like wiper blades, etc. Then too, depending on location, they might automatically replace things like blades. If a car is parked outside here, blades don't last long.

3. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    But would blades be replaced under ToyotaCare? If not, than it's not relevant to the calculation.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not. it's a loser, skip it. toyota doesn't set service prices, so i don't know how they come up with a number. however, 79.99 sounds way low. aren't we talking about oil and filter, air filter, cabin filter and rotate tyres? synthetic oil change alone is probably 79.99. air filter is 30., cabin filter is 30., tyres are 20., inspection might be free or could be 30 or 40 bucks. i'm just throwing numbers out there, but $169. doesn't sound out of the ballpark.

#4 bisco, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  5. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The only service that is needed for the so called 30,000 mile service is an oil and filter change. You can check the cabin filter and engine air filter yourself and replace those items if they are needed.

6. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The link might not have been clear in my original post,
    Atlantic Toyota | New Toyota dealership in Amityville, NY 11701
    but this is what my dealer does for that $79.99:
    • Replace engine oil & filter
    • Rotate and Inspect Tires
    • Inspect and Adjust all Fluid Levels
    • Visually inspect Brake Lining/Drums and Brake Pads/Discs
    • Wheel Alignment Check
    • Perform Multi-Point Inspection
    Of course, I've already done the cabin air filter on my own. I was looking at this thread:
    Analysis of Prepaid Maintenance Upgrade vs. Paying As You Go | PriusChat
    where I saw the $300 for 30k service and couldn't figure out what was being done for $300 that would also be covered by ToyotaCare.

7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What I was saying is that people who said they paid $300 for the 30,000 mile service had more done than what Toyota Care covers. The maintenance guide says to replace cabin, air and oil filters, etc., and TC only covers the oil filter, so it doesn't cover the 30,000 mile services recommended in the guide, the items also mentioned by bisco. Your list doesn't include all those items either, so it's basically $80 for an oil change and rotation. All the items in the list might justify the $170 and that's what some dealers may in fact do for what they charge. However, if they all don't, then the email seems mighty close to false advertising.

8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    When you see we inspect this and we check that it means they do nothing and charge you for nothing.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm...what could account for this?

Well, in Toyota Customer Cares defense...they are saying "averages".
    I don't know where they are pulling their numbers to get that average, but since it is being presented as an "average" it might be accurate for a dealership service network as a whole. Lows of $79.99 to highs of $300....

Also of course you've got two perspectives and POV's that are being sold to you. Toyota Care Plus, which is trying to sell you on the idea that continuation of the coverage is the economical way to go...

And your local dealership service department, which just wants you to bring you vehicle in to them.

If you are luck enough to have a dealership service department that is both economical and reliable? Then you probably could just deal with expenses as they arise.

Toyota Customer Care, which is obviously trying to sell you on the idea

10. fobber

fobber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Two questions to ask on this related topic:

1. Where can I look to find good deals on Toyota care package - I'm from SoCal. I also go that email for $299 - up to 45K miles

2. From 25K+ to 45K miles, is it more cost effective to simply not purchase the care package? If I recall, every 5K requires an oil change and I think the invoice was about $50-55. On my 20K, the invoice was $85. So if my math is correct based on what I said, total cost should be $250 (55+55+85+55)

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OCI is 10000 miles. Using your numbers the total should be $140. You'll do better by getting on the dealer junk e-mail lists to get their specials.

Toyota Customer Care is Corporate's way to get you into a dealer's garage to spend more money. The result is additional profit for Toyota and/or the dealer and less business for the competition.

They check the fluids. Brake fluid was low but not low enough to top off. They check the air pressure then write down the official pressures (certainly not what was in the tires). So, how much of the other stuff should I trust they checked?

12. fobber

fobber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
  13. fobber

fobber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I actually kept my invoices up to my current 20K mileage. Every 10K, toyota adds synthetic oil, whichcost about $36. Oil changes are $55. I'm not sure if the plan covers replacing air filters.
    I think, if I were to go to Toyota and pay out of pocket, this is my estimated cost for service up to 45K. (I'm guessing it would cost $36 to replace air filter and it should be replace either at the 30K or at 35K - I forgot which one)
    Service Description
    Estimated Cost
    Mileage

Oil Change & Sythentic Oil
    $86.00
    Oil Change & Filter change
    $86.00
    Oil Change & Sythentic Oil
    $86.00
    Oil Change
    $55.00
    Total cost: ~$313
    ToyotaCare Plus3 from TFS provides the same convenience and peace of mind that come with every eligible new Toyota, but for longer -- up to a total of 5 years or 75,000 miles.4 You'll receive continued coverage of your vehicle's factory-recommended maintenance, plus 24-hour Roadside Assistance.
    A variety of plans are available to fit your individual driving needs:
    3 years or 35,000 miles;4 3 years or 45,000 miles4
    4 years or 45,000 miles;4 4 years or 60,000 miles4
    5 years or 55,000 miles;4 5 years or 75,000 miles4

You'll receive the following:
    • Routine Maintenance
    Services such as oil and filter changes, multi-point inspectionsand tire rotations are covered. Oil and filter changes will be made every 5,000 miles for conventional oil vehicles and 10,000 miles for synthetic oil vehicles.2 All services are based on the recommendations in your vehicle's Scheduled Maintenance Guide
    • Major Services
    Depending on the ToyotaCare Plus plan purchased, your 30,000; 45,000; 60,000; and 75,000 mile services are covered
    • 24-Hour Roadside Assistance
    Coverage is provided throughout the life of your Agreement and includes lockout protection, flat tire changes, jump starts, fluid delivery and towing5

I'm starting to think the $299 deal isnt bad considering with the 24 roadside assistance (I could cancel my AAA), plus at the dealership I go to, they do rinse/clean the exterior of my car.

14. Starbrand

Starbrand Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just completed my 25k service to wrap up my free ToyotaCare service. I was asked if I wanted to upgrade/continue by getting ToyotaCare Plus which is the $299 deal up to 45k/or4yrs. Here's a screenshot of my email, I cut off my private info.
    [​IMG]

I'm still reading the fine print, and told them I would think on it. And I am glad I found this thread as I didn't consider what it does not include. How many people here are satisfied with this? Should I go for it?

I know how to do the majority of the maintenance they do, but I enjoy the convenience of not having to by 4 bottles of oil and disposing of my oil pans properly. And not having to find and buy those hard to find nylon gaskets when replacing them. I literally enjoy driving to the dealer and having my car pampered while I relax.

and since the Prius is Synthetic Oil (every 10k) and the numbers in the post above are for Conventional oil (every 5k), would It be cheaper to NOT do ToyotaCare Plus?

thoughts?

15. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My thoughts......
    Seems to be a simple mathematic "spreadsheet" exercise.

Towing contract could be a significant point...AAA basic is $90, yes?
    Alignment check, if yearly, that takes time and equipment....could be significant if they actually place the car on the rack and measure or do they do a visual on tire wear?

DIY would of course always be less costly, noting the lifting of all four wheel for a tire rotation and ignoring your personal labor costs.

Many others have signed up for these types of plans so why not you?

Good luck in your decision.

Starbrand likes this.