1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'One-way' tires as full-sized spare?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dbj, Aug 8, 2007.

1. dbj

dbj New Member

Hello all,

I'm a newbie who has been investigating (lurking? blush blush) the Prius through this forum. Thanks to all for the knowledge shared.

I have gotten my Prius (base), and will be having GY Triple-Treds mounted in place of the OEM tire. I was considering buying a fifth GYTT and having it mounted on a fifth Prius rim as a "rotate-able" full-sized spare for the appropriate side. However, it has occurred to me that I might have a flat on the "wrong" side of the car. In fact, I'm sure Murphy will assure it. So --

Does anyone have any experience with a one-way tread pattern being run "backward" for a day or so? Any handling or wear issues? Any other problems or expected problems from doing this?

Thanks for any info!

little greenie

2. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It won't hurt, but why spend the extra money on the extra tire? The temporary spare is fine and odds are with how rare flats are on modern tires you'll never have to use the spare. I've been driving for 10 years and have NEVER had a flat tire (knock on wood)

3. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I don't think a full size wheel will fit flush in the spare tire well. Anyone know for sure?

4. moredes15

moredes15 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Aug 8 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]492826[/snapback]</div>
    No, it won't. However, I remove the tray and carpet cover and stand a full-sized spare up for cross-country trips. Ya sure don't need the extra weight of a full-sized spare for around-town.

5. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's a spare, why not pick the best of your old tires and just buy a rim rather than buying a brand new tire?

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Aug 8 2007, 11:36 PM) [snapback]492814[/snapback]</div>
    I can see the desire to have a full size spare. I recently awoke on a Saturday morning to a flat caused by an unrepairable road hazard. With substantial wear, I was already planning to replace all four with a different brand and model before the winter anyway, so I couldn't see replacing just the one now. But on a moment's notice on a Saturday, no tire dealer had my tires of choice in stock. Many said they could order them, but it would take a week or more -- longer than I should be running the temporary spare with the miles I expected to drive. My hand was forced and I had to buy a set of a different tire brand and model than what I wanted.

For the future, I kept the best of the old ones. I'm going to try to find a used steel wheel to put it on. I think Corolla wheels will work, though I haven't investigated fully. I'm not replacing the temporary spare (I don't want to give up the storage space); the full size spare will stay at the house. But I'll have something I can run on for days or even weeks if needed. The only thing it won't help with is a tire problem on an out of town trip, but they're infrequent.

7. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I replaced my Integrities with Michelin Hydros 195s. Could I use an Integrity 185 on a rim for a spare? Would the tire size make a difference?

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Tire size does make a difference. If you get a flat in a front tire, it's a good idea to rotate the rear wheel to the front and put the spare on the rear, but not when it's dangerous (roadside). Do it once you get somewhere safe, if you are going to have to run on the temporary spare for a while. The front wheels operate through the diff. and if one wheel is a different size than the other the diff. will be working hard to compensate. Even the temporary spare is a different size than the standard tires.

Note that rear flats are more common than front flats. The reason is the fronts will "kick up" nails, screws, and other sharp objects and the rear wheel catches them in the "up" position.

Also, flats are more common when it's wet. It's not Murphy in action (Murphys law). It's the lubricating action of water making it easier for sharp objects to penetrate the tire.

9. dbj

dbj New Member

Thanks so much to all of you for responding. I did actually go ahead and mount a fifth GYTT on a regular Prius OEM rim to use as my spare, and to rotate through on the passenger side, as well -- I seem to wear my tires more on that side of my past cars, which was what influenced my choice.

I'm not terribly computer literate in this posting stuff, so apologize for not including quotes from you all in this current post.

SW03ES, I have had quite a few flats in the past few years. I think the amount of new construction and renovation that goes on locally (along with the sloppy materials pickup during and after) is probably responsible.

narf, somewhere here on priuschat I found a thread that explained how someone was doing this, but cannot remember where to find it. Perhaps it was done just like in one of the replys in this thread to my first post (mordes15).

BRICK, no old tires. I just bought the car at the end of July and the dealer agreed to give me credit on the OEM tires.

JimboK, I have also had a similar experience, which was a good enough reason to do this.

And finally, I hope I will not offend anyone with this bit of attempted humor below :unsure: (please let me know if I am out of line) --

David Beale, I had always heard that size mattered, but had not understood before now that it was the action of the differential that bore the brunt of it. :rolleyes:

little greenie

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There was a post a while ago that an -uninflated- standard tire will fit in the car. So all you would need is a portable air pump. I use a manual one (puff puff). ;)

There is a small difference in running a directional tire the wrong way. Just a small loss of traction in wet or snow conditions. In dry conditions there is no difference. There may be a difference in noise generated however. At any rate, it's not dangerous, as in the tire will not explode or such.

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I want to take this opportunity to remind folks that the donut spare has a speed and distance limit not because of the tire but because of the differential. You MUST observe the speed limits on the donut if you use it on the front.

If at all possible, you should put the donut on the back and move the full size tire to the front to protect the differential.

Nate

12. dbj

dbj New Member

David Beale, thanks for the note about the previous post re full-sized spare. Being basically a weak, older person, I am going to keep my fully-aired-up and full-sized spare standing up behind the front passenger seat inside a large heavy plastic bag, instead of opting for an uninflated one in the regular spare compartment.

There, it will perform two functions. 1) The obvious one is that a full-sized spare will be available at all times, and 2) not so obviously, it will act as a chin-rest for my retired racing greyhound. With the 60% side of the back seat folded flat, she has enough room to be comfortable in pretty much any position, but likes to face forward and sit/lie as far forward in the well-known "Sphinx" position as possible. I'll be padding out the tire space with some other materials, to keep it stationary and to make it more attractive for her. The space where the compact spare used to be will hold all the "stuff" that an overly-fond dog owner always has on hand for the comfort of the dog (I'm sure most of you who are owned by a dog know what I'm talking about!), and for the comfort of myself on my frequent rest stops. The tray over the spare compartment will function as a repository to conceal purchased items with the cover in place, since I won't be able to use the cargo cover for this (it would interfere with her choices, after all).

naterprius, thanks very much for your reminder, as your information is actually new information to me! I appreciate it. I'm always grateful for a learning experience.

little greenie

13. dbj

dbj New Member

Just in case anyone is still looking at this thread, the full-sized aired-up spare is standing upright behind the front passenger seat, held in place with blankets, pillows, and such. (The padding also keeps it from rubbing on any of the upholstery.)

My greyhound girl loves the 3-4" additional height to rest her chin on, so it's been a big hit!

little greenie

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ROFLMAO!!!!!! :lol:

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Early (90) camry wheels look to have the same stud pattern. Corolla have 4 stud wheels, Prius has 5.
    I'd stick with the space saver.
    Did I see on another thread of a new Japanese Prius, there is no spare in the well? I think it has a can of woosh to fix a flat.

16. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to turn my Prius into a lowrider...seeking four temporary spare tires and thinking this would be the *perfect* topic to check...
    [smile]

Seriously, here's a great, low-budget solution for anyone wanting to drive low and slow...

...isn't it? I can't understand why it's not catching on.
    [laughing]

------

Oooops, hijack; I'm leaving the cockpit and returning to my seat now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 20 2007, 06:46 PM) [snapback]499427[/snapback]</div>
    My old Porsche used to have a deflated temporary spare, and a compressor to pump it up with. Glad I never got a flat in that car; the regular tire/wheel didn't fit into the trunk, even when deflated. Had to go on the seat!

17. dbj

dbj New Member

Rae Vynn, thanks for the compliment. ;)

little greenie

18. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 20 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]499427[/snapback]</div>
    Old Corollas did use a 4 lug wheel, but the newest model (starting with the 2003 model year) uses the same 5x100 lug pattern as the 2004+ Prius. The Corolla based Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe wheels also fit the Prius but require 16" or 17" tires.

I believe some old Camry wheels from 87-91 V6 Camrys will also work, but other ones use 4 lugs and/or 14" wheels (which won't clear the front brake calipers on the Prius). Newer Camrys use 5 lugs but an incompatible 5x114mm spacing. The Scion TC 17" alloys are compatible. There might be some old Celicas (like a 1990 GTS) with wheels that will fit.

19. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why not buy an air compressor and use it whenever you get a flat tire. Tires are so slow puncture you could drive on it for hours. At least that's my plan.

20. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 20 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]499427[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I <strike>am</strike> was almost certain my fiancee's 2006 Corolla has 5 studs. (Plus me when I'm in it. :lol: ) I'll double-check. Meanwhile, thanks for the tip on the Camry wheels.

As I said, I do plan to keep the space saver in the car. But I want the option of not being forced into an immediate tire replacement.