1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

OoG mode accepting higher current from phev source...

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by menardsy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello hello I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I didn't find any answer from my Google search.

We all know that's the maximum current accepted from charging the HV battery from an DC to DC converter is relatively low when the car is running. Something below 20 A I think.

If I disconnect the fuel pump (Oog mode), can I dump higher current into the HV Battery without the car stopping? Because I know. When the car is running normally if we don't hire to rent the hybrid system will be disabled...

Sylvain

2. Wai-Ping

Wai-Ping Ping

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have tried upto 80a still no ill effect while in Oog (Parallel with 71 x a123 40ah).
    Warning, if u r in normal mode and u have more than 20a into the stock battery the car will stop and throw u all the warning lights.
    This has happened to me while i was testing it at the back street.

Ping

p.s. my kit was enginer now just parallel 71 x A123 40ah with contactors. simple no spoofing. Works, all electric

#2 Wai-Ping, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  3. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks a lot for the feedback!
    Doesn't the battery ecu get confused about the soc by getting so much current from an external source?
    Sylvain

4. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No. If the current sensor is not bypassed(Enginer connection method) it sees the current going into the NiMH battery. So SoC is OK.

Problem is that a DTC will occur that will disable electric assist and the ICE which will leave you stranded possibly putting you in a hazardous situation. But it is not related to SoC.

If the current sensor is bypassed it cannot see current going into the NiMH pack. You avoid the DTC above but you need to spoof the SoC.

#4 lopezjm2001, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    [email protected] likes this.
  5. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok. So even though I run in out of gas mode, the car hybrid system will whut down if I inject 80 amps like Ping does?

6. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It only applies to normal mode. Never had a DTC in OOG mode except for the DTC which results in OOG mode.

#6 lopezjm2001, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  7. menardsy

menardsy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great!

If I use 240-260V PHEV pack in parallel with the HV battery pack, how could I control the current flow to the HV battery.

What I would like to do is to allow 80A flowing in the HV pack when in OOHG mode and also be able to use it in normal mode but with no more than 20A to avoid DTC.

Is there something like a PWM controller or other kind of way to do such a thing?

8. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    20 amps is still too high. Enginer found that 16 amps is safe for a Generation 2 Prius.

Enginer found that 20 amps is safe for a Generation 3 Prius.

A 240V-240V DC Converter using PWM to reduce the current to 16 amps is possible but is not available unless you design it and build it yourself, it would also introduce power losses. Possible overheat problems shutting down the DC converter. You also need to limit NiMH battery voltage to no greater than 242 volts otherwise the NiMH batteries will overcharge/overheat. Then you somehow need to cool down the NiMH battery using the cooling fan.

Using a current sensor bypass and a SoC spoofer is the only solution I know of.

Driving in OOG mode means that the toque is limited to MG2 without the further assist of the ICE which can be dangerous when climbing steep hills. Or when extra torque or acceleration is required to avoid an accident.

A SoC spoofer can be bought from Plug-In Supply | Plug-In Upgrades for the Toyota Prius

#8 lopezjm2001, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  9. Wai-Ping

Wai-Ping Ping

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I have found if u bypass the current sensor with a parallel battery pack with the NiMH
    If the voltage greater than 236v the SOC will climb up (that's why I have choosen 71 A123 lifepo4).

SOC 80% regen become less 5-20a (engine will spin to burn off battery until it reach soc75 or less)

SOC 83% or more no regen, in B mode no effect just like in N

If u carry on driving ( Oog ) the SOC goes up to 100% sometimes. Hovers 85-90%

That gives me 20-25miles of pure EV with limitations
    Power, max speed of 52mph but I would keep Max 42mph avoid blowing up the motor over long use.

Ping

#9 Wai-Ping, Sep 23, 2014
  10. Wai-Ping

Wai-Ping Ping

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another note, with my setup.
    After driven about 8miles the SOC will come down to about 70-80% (by then I could put the car in normal mode if I want to)
    15-18miles 50-60%
    When it reach 40% or less acceleration become less top speed 30mph I think
    35% or less no acceleration, its like put it in drive mode without touching the gas pedal.
    Voltage stays about 230v so no damage to the NiMH battery, also batt temp stays ambient temperature.

I think I need to document my setup so others can understand and learn from it.

Ping

#10 Wai-Ping, Sep 23, 2014
  11. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Ping,

Your setup requires you to drive in OOG mode to increase the SoC. In normal mode without an SoC spoofer the SoC can go down to 0%. At an SoC of 40% or less the ICE will charge the NiMH battery. Gas is wasted as the ICE is charging what it thinks is a depleted NiMH battery pack.. Every now and then the Prius will adjust the SoC based on battery voltage. The Prius does not know that you have a 40ah Lifepo4 battery pack connected in parallel(current sensor bypassed) so it just assumes that the NiMH has got 6.5ah of which only 40% of it can be used.

#11 lopezjm2001, Sep 23, 2014
  12. Wai-Ping

Wai-Ping Ping

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Lopez
    You are right. All my driving are city 30mph, so its ideal for me in Oog mode. No good for motorway.
    When I get to about SOC 50% in Oog mode. I would pull over or in traffic lights and restart the car in normal mode still have the extra pack connected in parallel, this will take more regen and gives slightly more mpg.
    :)

#12 Wai-Ping, Sep 23, 2014
  13. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Some users may not feel safe using OOG mode specially if you live in a hilly area. I recommend using a SoC spoofer.
    You can also buy one for $595 from DISCOUNTED INSURANCE SALVAGE

Wai-Ping likes this.
  14. Wai-Ping

Wai-Ping Ping

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A