1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Oops! Introduction

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by suzisurrey, Jul 26, 2011.

1. suzisurrey

suzisurrey New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oops! I forgot I was supposed to introduce myself, and I'm not even sure I'm doing this right. I am very low tech. I bought my Prius last night - and wasn't prepared for all the extra stuff they were going to throw at me, so I just bought it all. Now I'm having buyer's resmorse - not for buying the car, just all the other stuff. I've been told it's a waste - all of the undercoating, paint protection, fabric protection... Since I havn't actually gotten that done I may still be able to back out. Advice?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello again Suzi. Take a deep breath now. I am sure if you work with the sales manager everything will work out.

These things do have some value and it boils down to what you want to pay/afford. Yes, those items are generally the "gravy" to the dealership.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes it is a waste, get out of it if you can.

The paint protection is usually nothing more than wax and the fabric protection is like Scotch Guard. You can do them yourself or have a detail shop do it for less, and probably get a better job.

Don't let them do the undercoating, it can cause problems.

Be careful most car dealer sales people are slick and some of them are very disreputable. If you have problems getting out of a job they haven't done call or email your state's Attorney General, they can verify if you should be charged or not. In some states they will even call the dealer for you, that usually gets their attention.

But in any case talk to them first as Spiderman suggests, if it is an honorable dealer they will let you out of the "extras" with no problems. But be assertive!

Good luck. :)

4. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any add-on is just that. As a rule of thumb, there is no add-on that must be had during purchase, and can not be added on after purchase. Buy the car first and do any add-ons later. The dealer will still be happy to take your money in the future.

A good thing to remember for next time. Also bring along a friend who knows about buying cars and can knock some sense into you. Sometimes you lose perspective if you are by yourself.