1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optima D51 battery - why elearnaid? Seattle area installers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cwerdna, Jan 5, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, I'm likely going to need to replace the original 12V battery on my Prius (purchased late January 06). I think I want the Optima D51 that people are recommending, but out of curiosity, why are people recommending or linking to elearnaid? Is it because they sell a bundle w/the an adapter kit (that I stumbled across at http://www.elearnaid.com/12vo1topraub.html. If I go to Buy Optima Batteries - Where To Buy An Optima Battery, there seem to be plenty of local dealers that sell Optima batteries (unclear if they have the size I need).

For kicks, I went to Optima Battery Selector - Car Battery Selector by Optima and selected 2004 and 2006 and Prius didn't even come up as a Toyota model they have a battery for...

I'm likely going to call my local dealer for a price quote to install a Toyota OEM 12V battery that they supply and see if they're willing to install an Optima w/a kit. I hear the latter isn't likely, so I'm looking for suggestions for a good place to have it done in the Seattle area. (I don't have all the tools nor am I really motivated to spend the time to get the all the tools and DIY.)

Anyone have experience with Green Car Clinic? At least they're pretty close to me.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Why?

The elearnaid kit includes shipping, so there are no nasty surprises where we said $165 but shipping made us wrong.

No Battery fits the Prius except Toyota's battery. elearnaids kit alters the wiring harness so a battery that 'does not fit' does.

All the folks who ordered from elearnaid liked the process, that encourages repeat business.

If you find an installer, Hobbit has an illustrated how to for them.

Prius 12V swap

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Their kit, plus their very good instructions, plus their very good service. They appear quite consistent in fully charging the battery immediately before shipment. Car dealers sometimes let batteries sit around long enough to start sulphating before installation.

The OEM battery lists at $140 and is a little easier to install. If a dealer will install a new OEM battery for less than $200 that's certainly the easiest solution.

4. saechaka

saechaka Member

I went to Moss Alley Home Page and labor cost was $86 after tax. It came out cheaper to replace the original w/the optima than going through the dealer who wanted about $265 before tax to replace it with a stock battery.

5. sambojoho

sambojoho Proud conservative

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Just FYI, I replaced my 06 prius 12V battery last weekend in less than 30 minutes with a OEM replacement from the dealer for $138. Only tools I needed was a socket wrench with a 10mm and 12 mm socket. Wasn't a difficult job at all, anyone that can use a socket wrench and unplug a couple wire harnesses can tackle this job.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I received my D51 battery and kit today.

Anyone else w/Seattle area (preferably on the Eastside) installer recommendations? Moss Alley isn't that convenient for me to go to. Anyone deal with Green Car Clinic that I asked about before?

My Toyota dealer is unwilling to install any aftermarket parts. Apparently, it's a policy of that chain now. :( It wasn't the case when I asked them a month or two ago.

I'd rather not DIY as I don't have all the tools they call for (it's more a bit more than just a socket wrench and 1 sockets, per Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery with install kit for 2004 - 10).

I take my Z to Autologic Quality Auto Repair Bellevue for work and trust them, but I'm not sure how much Prius experience they have.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You really don't need "Prius experience" to change a 12V battery...

8. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...just follow the instructions and don't drop any bolts :_>

9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hook the ground wire up last... it's safer!

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, looking at the instructions, it seems I (or the installer) need to muck w/the ventilation duct, change terminals and need a few tools I don't have. I've changed car batteries from regular cars before haven't had all these extra steps before besides having a black box obstructing the battery.
    Ha... Ok, I'll re-examine whether I want to DIY.

Unfortunately, we're not supposed to work on our cars in my apartment complex either so I'm going to have to drive it somewhere else to do it. I guess a hardware or auto parts store is where I'll be. :)

1 person likes this.
  11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding the brake power supply: just remove the bolts that secure it to the hatch floor, and move it aside. You don't even have to remove the wiring harness connector.

Buy whatever tools you will need. This is really not that big of a deal and the tools will be useful for other purposes in the future.

12. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Look at this as an opportunity/excuse to get some new tools to play with! :)

13. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It may take a lot of hand strength or a vise to take apart the positive terminal assembly. It was about at the limit of possibility for me without a vise to help hold it.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agree; I had a similar experience when installing a Panasonic battery in my 2001. Amazing how tight that positive terminal nut can be.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok. I did it myself today. It took me ~1.5 hours.

Yes, that darn positive terminal assembly was on tight. I couldn't get it off w/the ratchet handle I had. Fortunately, I was able to borrow a longer one for more leverage from the auto parts store I parked in front of.

I ran into some space issues trying to unbolt the negative terminal from the original battery. I unbolted the cable from the body instead.

I didn't know how long an extension I'd need but fortunately, the 6" I bought was enough. I'll probably drop elearnaid a note about that. Their negative cable was also a bit longer than needed.

When I looked in the back of the Gen III, I recall it looked a lot easier since there were fewer things in the way.

16. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My 2007 Prius has been suffering a dead 12 volt battery off and on for around a year now. I have not been driving it much and usually just have to hook up my battery charger to get it started, if it's dead. Well yesterday this no longer worked and I had to actually connect the charter directly to the battery in the back, disconnecting the battery from the car's electronics. Once I got the battery fully charged, I reconnected everything and discovered the master warning light was on. I also lost my trip mileages and data for the current tank of fuel. I couldn't find a way to reset the master warning light and my scan gauge wasn't showing any codes, but after a few minutes it reset itself. I then drove the car for about an hour and everything seemed fine.

Since I know the battery will just go dead in a week if the car is not driven enough, I decided it was time to order the e Learn Aid kit. I feel going with the Optima Yellow Top is the better option and this kit will make the install much easier. Although, I can handle replacing a car battery.

Since I'm always looking for the best deal I was going to purchase the Optima on Amazon for $155 shipped with no state tax, then buy the installation kit from e Learn Aid for $15. But it turned out to be less expensive buying the whole thing from e Learn Aid with tax, thanks to their sale price and free shipping.

17. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am beginning to wonder about e Learn Aid. I ordered my 2007 Prius battery kit on Saturday and here it is Tuesday without a word from them. So I called to inquire about my order and they said it should arrive to me today. But nothing has shown up as of yet.

I find it odd that they didn't send me tracking info or even notify me that my order had shipped. This is surprising because forum members say good things about this company, so hopefully I am just experiencing an anomaly.

UPDATE: The battery and kit just arrived! There is no handle on the battery or a lead post connected to the cable, as shown in some member installations. I assume e Learn Aid changed things for whatever reason.

E Learn Aid just raised the price of their 2004-2009 Prius Optima battery & installation kit from $165 to $180. The installation kit alone went up from $15 to $20.

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mine showed up very quickly. I ordered on 2/7, got a shipped to me confirmation email on 2/8 and I believe it arrived on 2/10. Mine also had no handle. I'm not sure what you mean by "a lead post connected to the cable". Mine was basically as depicted at http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/elearnaid_2142_12026078.

I'm glad I got in before the price went up.

19. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My cable and connector looks like that also. It's more like the OEM negative battery connector.

In the past some members had received a negative post connector that was made of lead, like the separate positive connector. Here are some pictures of them:

Prius Optima Aux

Prius 12V swap

20. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's about how long it took me the first time (on wife's car). When I did mine it was a little quicker, but I found about 1 1/2" of water in the bottom of the battery well (clean, not rusty or dirty) and it took time to remove that. Still trying to figure out where it came from.
    You did right...the instructions say to do it that way...and tape the loose end to avoid any short.
    There, ya see, it wasn't all that bad!

[edit]There were several times though, that I wished I was left-handed instead of right. It would have been a lot easier![/edit]