1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Optima DS46B24R Prius Specific 12v. Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by duffasaurus, Sep 28, 2011.

1. duffasaurus

duffasaurus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just installed the new Optima Prius specific 12v. battery in a Gen. III 2010. The battery fits perfectly and there was no need to modify or add anything to install it!:)
    However, Optimabatteries.com is currently the only source of supply for this battery. The price is $199.99 and there is no way to get a discount at another source of supply. :(

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Glad I don't need one yet! Hopefully as they become more plentiful, the price will drop...

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think those other threads were theoretical, and lacked an actual purchaser.

The http://www.elearnaid.com/ kit is still $30 cheaper and they have been supporting Prius for years when Optima did not.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got mine today too. I will install later. I got it for $169.99 ("OPTIMA15" coupon) with free shipping and no tax.

6. duffasaurus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is not the one I am talking about. It is the older D51 model, which requires a wiring adapter & is not exactly the same size as the DS46B24R.
    I think plug & play is worth $30.00 more for right now!

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does anyone know the capacity, in Ampere hours, of the OEM battery vs this new Optima?

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are batteries that need replacement on a 2010 car? Man, those OEM batteries either really suck or people replace them just to have the latest and greatest thing. And, oh, by the way, Optima batteries are very heavy, your gas mileage may suffer. Plus, I've never been impressed with the terrible warranty on Optima batteries. Or maybe I don't understand their warranty. From what I can tell for the yellow top you get 3 years and no pro-rated after that. Is that correct? For less money I'll stick with the OEM battery.

PriusCamper likes this.
  10. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I posted this a few days ago when the battery was announced - if you click on the Optima link at the top of the Prius Chat page - it seems as though their ad is the only one that has been served for the past few days - and then use the link on their website to "like" them on facebook they give you a 15% off coupon that is good through the end of September and also gives you free shipping.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I do the installation, I'll make sure I weight them both to compare.

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Actually, Toyota has been importing the Prius since 2001, plenty of time for a battery to die. USBs Prius is a 2006. If you let the stock OEM battery completely discharge, even once, it tends not to recover.
    Twenty eight pounds. It would be challenging to make a more powerful lead acid battery that was lighter.
    The Optima warranty is three times as long as the OEM warranty.

I know, those are just facts, facts are not as fun as ranting.

Snow, Maroon, olerox and 1 other person like this.
  13. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the clarifications. I don't know why I thought the new Optima battery was going into a third gen (probably because this is in the third gen maintenance section). As far as the weight, I'll be interested in a weight comparison, but in my other car, the Optima weighs about 5 pounds more than the standard lead acid.

As far as the warranty, doesn't the Toyota aftermarket battery come with a pro-rated warranty for at least 6 years? If not, then you are absolutely correct. But I've never heard of a lead-acid battery NOT coming with pro-rated warranty when you buy it in the aftermarket. It's too bad that Prius owners are kind of stuck on their battery options. I guess we can go with the conversion kit for the fatter posts, but then we still have that venting issue.

Thanks for your info. Sorry for the rant, it's just in my other car, Optima's are a rip off. But in that car I can go buy it from any lead-acid vendor, I'm not stuck with just a couple of options.

EDIT: http://www.toyota.com/pub-share/pdf/Batteries2011-LowRes.pdf

This is why I thought the Toyota batteries had a warranty, it says 24 months free replacement, 84 months total warranty pro-rated. But when you look for the Prius, it says contact your Toyota dealer. So, does that mean the Toyota aftermarket battery only has 1 year, if so, then that really sucks. Maybe a few more battery manufacturers will follow suit and make some replacement batteries with the correct posts and vent line.

14. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, my apologies to everyone on my rant, I was very prejudice against Optima batteries because of my other car. The Optima is around 5 pounds heavier, has a worse warranty than a standard battery (even if you buy it from the dealer), and costs a lot more. But people buy it because it's "cool."

But in the Prius, Optima has found a niche market and I'm hoping other battery manufacturers follow suit. The best I can tell is the Optima is around 1 pound lighter than the OEM battery and it does have a "not so great" 3 year warranty which happens to be 3 times better than the pitiful 1 year warranty for the OEM battery. The only downside of the Optima is it is more expensive. Again, sorry for the rant. Now when it comes time to replace the battery in my 2011, I'm hoping there will be more options. Batteries die about every 3 years here in Arizona and I hate to think I'm going to spend $199 every 3 to 4 years for the Optima.

Someone mentioned that you can buy a battery from a Batteries Plus store, does anyone know more about that option?

Thanks,
    Glenn

15. web1b

web1b Active Member

I don't see the reason to buy this if you are not saving any money over the genuine OEM battery.
    Does it have a proven longer life?

16. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Only problem I see with the Optima is the warranty, 3 years is ok, but to get warranty service, you have to send it in to verify it is bad, then they send you another one, all within a hopeful 10 day period. But in either case, you are now out the shipping costs back to Optima, on top of the cost to buy the battery in the first place, and if Optima decides that your battery is ok, they charge you to ship it back.

I don't know about you, but not being able to drive my car for 10 days because of a battery, doesn't seem like a great idea.

17. web1b

web1b Active Member

Nevermind shipping costs, even free overnight shipping both ways would be too inconvenient for most people who need to use their car every day.

18. duffasaurus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, the OEM batteries really suck. I was locked out of the car since the battery failed & had to call AAA lockout service to get the car open. AAA was then able to give me a boost and got me going.
    Too bad the OEM battery was 8 month out of warranty!
    Check the facts before you say that "Optima batteries are very heavy, your gas mileage may suffer". Yes, I'd rather have the latest and the greatest and not get locked out with a dead battery!!

19. web1b

web1b Active Member

You should not be locked out of the car even with a dead battery.

20. duffasaurus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Optimabatteries.com stiffed me on the Facebook promo "OPTIMA15". They wouldn't accept it & when I called customer service to complain, they said we are very sorry, but we can't do anything about it after the sale goes through! Duh!

After I managed to contact upper management at Optima Batteries, they apologized and agreed to credit me back for the $30.00 Facebook promotion! Thank you Daryl Brockman, Customer Service Group Manager:cheer2: