1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Options for replacing stock stereo?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jwilson2000, Feb 19, 2007.

1. jwilson2000

jwilson2000 New Member

Hi all,

Just bought a new 2007 w/Package 2. Love the car but not the standard sound system (forgot to really check out this important component during my test drive).

Was regretting not moving up to Package 3 to get the JBL but after reading some threads here, maybe it's sound quality is not worth the $1000 price difference.

So what are my options? I can have the JBL installed through the dealer for about $635, but I don't know if this includes additional speakers or not (and bluetooth)?

Are there other aftermarket radios that are compatible? Any other options? Can I improve the standard system with better speakers and/or amplifiers?

Here's what's important to me:

Good sound
    Compatible w/Steering wheel controls
    CD/MP3 player
    Compatible with external MP3 and Sirius players

Here's what's less important:

Multi-CD
    Bluetooth (although I'll probably wish I had it later..)

Thanks for your advice,

Wilburn

2. akmurdog

akmurdog New Member

I took my 2005 to a local stereo shop and had them install a very nice 400 watt Pioneer amplifyer, and new speakers in the front doors and the front tweeters by the triangle window. I left the stock speakers in the rear doors as I had reached my budget limit (about $600). Difference was night and day and I'm very happy with the sound quality. Naturally I retained all my Stearing controls. Stage 2 will be to put better speakers in the rear doors, and a Subwoofer somewhere. But what I have now sounds a whole lot better than that overpriced weenie factory JBL Package.

Murdog Out.

3. jwilson2000

jwilson2000 New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Stopped by the chain electronics store today and they informed me that no aftermarket amp can be attached to a Prius because, being a hybrid, it has wildly fluctuating voltages and a constant 12v source is not available.

I didn't feel like pointing out that there's a 12 volt plug in the console. I think I'll try somewhere a little more on the ball.

Is there a preamp output on the back of the radio unit? Is any other equipment required besides an amp and replacement speakers? I'd like to go into the stereo store knowing what I need instead of hoping to get the right answers.

Also, does anyone know what the wattage is on the stock stereo?

Thanks

Wilburn