1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Orange County Choppers builds an electric hog

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by justlurkin, Aug 13, 2009.

1. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but.... it's a nice idea at least!

I saw this thing on the morning news but I had to haul nice person and couldn't watch the details.

[​IMG]

Also, here's the Brammo Enertia electric bike for anyone who hasn't seen it: Enertia Bike - Home

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Must...Make...Noise

4. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was actually thinking about electric motorcycles the other day. I think it's pointless (in 2009). The reason we have hybrid and electric cars is because the weight to power ratio of a car is much greater than that of a motorcycle (in a car, there is about four feet between the sets of wheels; with a motorcycle it's only what is on top of the wheels). Plus, motorcycles don't have much space at all to store batteries. And, motorcycles already get 50mpg. I think engineering efforts are much better spent working on cars, and in 2020 when we have 10X better technology, then we can apply it to a motorcycle.

Okay, so the lower weight to power ratio is also a benefit, as it requires less electricity. A Chevy Volt only goes 40 miles on a 5 year marketing charge.

5. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BlueTwo: That Enertia is a nice-looking bike! Though I gotta say I'm more old-school hog kind of guy when it comes to motorsickles. :D

One thing I noticed about the OCC hog and the Enertia is that they have a motor mounted in the chassis and drives the rear wheel through a chain. Makes me wonder how come nobody tried building a bike with a hub motor in the rear wheel to free up the space in the chassis for a bigger battery. That would have helped range I think.

Rybold: Between hybrid or electric cars and Dr. Fusco's electric scooter, yeah I gotta admit an electric motorcycle does have a bit of a hard niche to fill, LOL..

6. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Looking at the above photo, and considering that an electric vehicle makes very little noise, I'll bet it's hell driving that thing through a crowd of people at an auto show.

7. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My assumption is that they were trying to reduce unsprung mass? This is a serious question.

8. bluetwo

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even so much as uttering the words range or economy in conjunction with OCC is just not right!! ....so, woops my bad for doing it just now. :D

But seriously, this thing is 100%, completely, totally and fully built for the novelty of it and nothing else. Talking about it's range? Are you kidding? It'll NEVER be ridden as a daily mode of transportation and of course it's inneficient. The OCC guys aren't engineers by any stretch and I'm pretty sure they weren't going for range at all. Like Tesla wasn't going for range on the Roadster, rather it was all about performance.

Still I totally dig this effort because it could potentially bring new people to the table (of electric two-wheeled rides).

I LOVE the Brammo Enertia bike too, because I can remember all the way back to my teens when I rode a bicycle to work and longed for something motor driven and I sure couldn't afford a car. It hurts that the Brammo Enertia's will go for about 12,000 when they hit the market but it's encouraging that ALL of the special editions are spoken for even before production has begun, so hopefully costs will go down and one day I'll be able to afford one.

The Enertia is not my style either, but then again I refuse to stick to just one style, instead I'm an all around motorbike guy having owned dirtbikes, a cruiser, a sport bike and a standard, in truth I would totally rock an Enertia at a cruiser type bike rally because I've ridden pretty much every other kind of bike there and only had a positive response. Harley guys, as they're sometimes called, would love to talk about an electric bike with you if you showed up to a ride with one, that I know for sure.

9. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Very good possibility! The copper windings wouldn't make too much of a difference, but I would hate risking the cracking of the permanent magnets upon hitting a sharp bump in the road.
    ...but then again, testing might show that the permanent magnets survive just fine. I still wouldn't want all of that unsprung mass though.

10. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Enertia is not the only all-electric motorcycle on the board/in
    production. Here are two more worth a look:

ZERO S ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLE

EL MOTO

You know, there are many touring/cruising cycles that have engines
    larger than the Prius, even the 1.8L Gen III. At it's most illogical
    extension, there are even V8 powered cycles, an idea that Mae West
    would heartily approve: "Too much of a good thing is not enough:"

Boss Hoss Cycles :eek:

So, I wonder how long will it be before someone puts The Prius
    ICE/HSD in a cycle? :p

11. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's why I was wondering about a hub-mounted motor: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eliica]Eliica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

There's an 80hp motor in each of that car's wheels. I wonder how they manage the durability issues?

Just wondering during a midday break on a hectic friday.. :D

12. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Regen braking?

13. bluetwo

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the chopper have it? ...I don't think so. It seems like it should but it occurs to me that they probably would've written a whole paragraph on that to make the point. :D