1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ordered MY14 Prius v (lowercase v) Touring!

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by philipl, May 17, 2014.

1. philipl

philipl New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife and I commute about 70kms a day return trip from Markham Ontario to downtown Toronto. Purchasing a Prius to save on pollution, gas costs, etc... was not a hard choice to make. We're coming from a subaru forester which runs about $350 or more a month to fuel. So the Prius v (lowercase v) fit the bill quite nicely.

We ordered the Touring package, which i believe is the same trim level as Five. Without the tech package.

I have some Prius newbie questions that i would like to bounce off of you guys...

- Is it safe to upgrade the stereo speakers? My package does not include the JBL system. I am wondering if upgrading the speakers will mess with the amount of voltage/power i consume and ultimately drain the battery faster.

- Does it come with synthetic oil from the factory? Did you change over? How quickly did you do your first oil change?

- Any other tips for a prius newbie?

Its on its way from Japan.. should be arriving by the 28th! :) I ordered a rubber trunk liner and I 'll most likely get the windows tinted first thing. Any other cool accessories you would recommend?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Speakers should be no problem except for the back where you might want to add a line input amp to drive them. It comes with synthetic oil; could change at 5k miles or whatever Canadian dealers recommend. Remember the engine is not running for many of those miles. I like the mud flaps and would consider the 3M spray hood protector on a new car.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Try to get speakers that have the same ohm rating as the OEM, otherwise anything will be fine. Higher ohm rating is OK, lower is not. They're usually 4,6 or 8.

All Prius use synthetic oil, be absolutely sure nobody ever puts in anything other than the 0-20w rated OE oil.

Read the manual 3 times.

philipl likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

philipl likes this.
  5. archiveman2977

archiveman2977 archiveman2977

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

5-17-14

Congrats, philipl:

What color is yours?

To me, by far, the most convenient feature of the Prius v is the hands-free Smart-key system transponder which allows you to open the doors, touch the handle to lock it, while it remains in your pocket to start the car. You will love it.

I recommend reading as many Priuschat v Forums as possible. These insights post a complete spectrum of experiences, opinions and recommendations. Beware: the Forum comments will suck you in...for hours, they are that interesting!

rdgrimes' advice holds true--read all the instruction manuals several times. The Prius v is a technological marvel. You also will really like the push buttons on the steering wheel--and it allows you to call and receive phone calls just by touching the buttons while giving voice commands.

You are really going to like your new car.

Regards, archiveman2977

philipl likes this.
  6. philipl

philipl New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Good advice! Thanks.

Good call on pointing out that the engine won't be running for many of the miles :)

Mud Flaps + 3M, great idea!

7. philipl

philipl New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Great advice, Thanks!

will read the manual multiple times : ) hahaha

8. philipl

philipl New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

We got pearl white. I am also looking forward to the smart key feature. I can't wait to start driving it.

9. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Congrats....mudguards a must....may consider rear bumper hard plastic protector...much better than the clear applique..

philipl likes this.
  10. philipl

philipl New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks everyone. I pick it up today... I hear that MPG will not be the best until i completely break in. Which could be anywhere from 10,000-15000 miles. Though the first 2k are the worst. I guess I'm about to find out.

Is it recommended to drive in all modes during your break in? or just drive it like you usually would any car?

11. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the manual discusses break-in pretty well. Avoid hard braking, hard acceleration, short trips and long periods of steady-speed cruising.

philipl likes this.
  12. philipl

philipl New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The new prius v is great! From reading priuschat i thought the stock sound system would need to be replaced. I find it a hellava lot better than the system in the Subaru forester. i simply just adjusted the EQ to my liking and i can't be happier.

As for my MPG. im averaging 51 MPG or 5.5 L/100km. i drive 50% hwy 50% city. I think i can get this number better.

I am only driving in regular mode. I've used Power, ECO and EV once to test that it works.

I lucked out and my model came with mud flaps and rubber bumper protector.

The only accessory i can think of wanting now is hitch and bike rack. I need to carry 2 adult bikes and the manual suggests not to mount these on the roof.

13. philipl

philipl New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    [​IMG]
    First Day Home
    [​IMG]
    Dash with 8KM.