1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Out-of-State Sales Tax vs. Oregon

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by oregonmike, Jun 14, 2008.

1. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so while on the waiting list locally, I decided to look around the neighboring states to see about availability. I was thinking of calling some dealerships in California but am hesitant. Oregon doesn't have sales taxes (not bragging, just reality we have state income and property taxes instead), but I know California does. Now I know there is something in place for Oregonians to purchase from Washington State and not pay their tax, but is there a way for Oregonians to purchase from California while avoiding paying sales tax or the states designated personal property tax?

I have read similar threads comparing various states with sales tax, but how does it work in California, and how might I find out about the issues with Oregon.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So if you call a CA dealer and find a Prius you want, tell them you are an Oregon resident and ask if they are set up to not charge you sales tax. The biggest hassle you may have is if they aren't set up for Oregon registration. You may have to deal with the Oregon DMV directly to get a temporary tag.

3. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bill,

I think in the little research I just found online, California isn't very friendly to out of state sales. As a non-residient we simply have 2 choices: 1) buy and pickup in state (pay state sales tax) or 2) buy and have shipped to you out of state (pay no state sales tax, but pay 1k for out of state shipping). Either way your adding at least 1k to your total cost. Totally aren't set up like the Washington State system for out of state sales.

IMPO...Not against California, but seams very restrictive and greedy (maybe politically tied) (i know dont say it... please).

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep, buying a Prius in WA is a breeze, particularly in the border area. :)

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a simple solution, use a broker. Sure they charge a fee but can save a lot of hassle and many tines find you a car when dealers will not.

During the long waiting periods for the 04 a broker was able to find me a car in Salem and delivered it to my door. They handle all the paperwork. Check them out.

6. tasker109

tasker109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    are state laws different in this regard? we live in Illinois and bought the prius in missouri. when you buy in missouri, they give you a temp license plate and when you register the car and plates in illinois, you pay sales tax along with the plates, registration etc. if you need to have the sales tax financed along with the car, they charge you missouri tax and then within a week, they will send you a check to pay illinois sales tax with.

7. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this is just for California. I have read many posts with experiences similar to yours, but California just has the two options. If they had the similiar set up as the rest of the states, it would be much easier.

8. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

So I orginally thought it would be some shipper that I would have to pay to ship the car up here (usually around 1k). I just spoke with a CA dealership and they said that I would only have to pay for two of their employees drive the car up here and drive another vehicle to come back in, which would be around $150 plus a tank or so of gasoline. So not to bad, however they are in the same boat as the rest of us with their wait list and such. But always good to check with the dealership and see what their policy is.

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe the dealership could pay you to ferry the car to the Oregon purchaser... When you cross the border, you turn the car over to yourself.:rolleyes:

10. Overtemp

Overtemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If there are any military folks in this mix, please read:

I am a Washington resident, but I live in Arkansas now. I buy all my cars out of state (out of Washington) and get Washington plates for them. It costs me $75 to get plates and I pay no sales or licensing taxes. It took me 8 years to figure out this trick, it's not advertised. I bought our Sienna in NY and I am getting a Prius right now, same deal.

Works well, lasts a long time.

I don't understand why California would be so difficult. You are an Oregon resident, you COULD just buy the car in Oregon. If you go to Cali to buy, while you aren't contributing to their tax base, you ARE dumping money into their economy. Maybe Oregon put pressure on Cali so Oregon can keep the money in it's economy?

11. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just looking into the possibility of any other area of the country having a smaller waitlist and faster allocation base. I do plan on purchasing in Oregon, and I fully see your point. It just seams like a strange setup for California.

12. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did just the opposite. I bought my Subaru in Nevada (wasn't charged NV sales tax) and when I registered it in Calif DMV, paid California sales tax. I would think it would be similar the other way around. Good luck.

13. oregonmike

oregonmike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would be similar, however, Oregon has no sales tax. I would just have to pay to have it delievered to me. That taken, the few CA dealerships I called are all in the same boat as the rest of the country. :cool: