1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Outside Reverse Beeper

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fed123, Feb 11, 2008.

1. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Please help,

I removed the reverse beeper function because I prefer that the beep should be audible to people outside the car.

Instead, I bought one of those little gadgets that you place over the parking light - when you back up the beeper goes on and people outside the car can hear it.

It is a great idea because the ICM is off when you are in reverse and the car is virtually silent. I was very satisfied until I realized that the beeper also goes on when I am braking - but not all the time.

If my foot is on the brake when the car is stationary, the gadget does not beep. But if the brakes are applied when the car is in motion the beep goes on.

I looked at the brake lights and noticed that if you apply the brake while stationary, only the top red light comes on. However, when you apply the brake while in motion, the top red light and the bottom red light, under the parking light, come on.

My suspicion is that the bottom red light is screwing up the sensor in the beeper, even though the sensor is quite above the bottom red lights.

Is the bottom red light a regenerative breaking light and if it is why would it set off the beeper that is otherwise only triggered by the parking light?

2. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Isn't that reverse beep thing replacing the original bulb for Backup?

I have that in my other car, it's a halogen bulb with a beeper integrated into it. So whenever the Backup lights up, it beeps.

Is it the same device we are talking about here?

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The lower red light is the taillight. It should not come on when braking. Only the LED brake lights should illuminate. Sounds like you've got some wires crossed.

4. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Qlara,

The gadget I'm referring to is placed on the outside of the car on the cover of the parking light. It is not a bulb.

firepa63,

I'll run the check again with my head and taillights on. When l last did it, the taillights were off but the beeper was going on when braking while driving, but not when applying the brake while parked.

5. JHSmith

JHSmith 2020 Avalon Hybrid Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry, I'm SOOO CONFUSED!:confused:

You want this to be a back-up alarm, yet it is monitoring a brake or parking light?

It would seem, at least to me, that you would monitor the back-up light.

Monitoring the brake light even if it only alarms when in reverse:
    If you are backing-up w/o brakes applied, no noise.:eek:
    If it alarms when brake applied and not moving: Why even have the alarm?

Monitoring the parking lights: What happens if you do not have parking lights on all the time? Or if you are driving forward slowly and hit the brakes w/ lights on: Alarm sounds.

To operate correctly, it SHOULD monitor the back-up light, irrespective of the brakes. That way, anytime you are in reverse, the alarm would sound.

6. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Take that silly beeper off your beautiful car. If people are too stupid to realize you're backing up, they deserve to be run over. Gene pool needs some thinning.

I rarely hear cars backing up in parking lots, unless they're diesel or have exhaust work doene, that's why they have a bright white light back there. Mom always taught me to watch where I was going, Navy taught me to keep my head on a swivle.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hardwired a reverse beeper in my driver's rear taillight.

And I watch stupid people ignore it from my rear view mirror as I creep backwards.

A back up beeper is useless in that pedestrians ignore it.

I did it to get my Mother to stop nagging me about running over small children. It shut her up. That was it's sole purpose.