1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Owners Unite - Question: How is MPG effected by Power Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pluginpriusowner2012, Sep 10, 2012.

1. pluginpriusowner2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just become a proud owner of the Prius Plug In (2012). Is there any organized group of owners--unite?

Very happy with the vehicle (week 3), though it does seem accessories may be tougher to get.

Any one know how MPG is effected by shifting into the pure power mode and the horsepower gain?

Best,
    Newbie Owner

2. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The ECO, Normal, and PWR Modes only change the accelerator pedal to throttle mapping, so there is no actual horsepower gain. Any MPG effects are simply the result of more aggressive acceleration.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! you have arrived at the organization of plug in owners. all the best!

4. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    ECO mode will adjust the AC. Other than that, the only difference between the modes is the "feel" of the gas pedal. I tend to get better mileage in power because I accelerate faster and ghost more.

5. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I forgot about the more economical use of the A/C in ECO Mode. Actually, I find that I find it runs it too hard even in ECO Mode, so I adjust the temperature up to get it to run less hard.
    I believe the Modes also affects the acceleration of cruise control. As a result, I think that ECO Mode w/ DRCC accelerates too slowly in highway traffic, so you end up wasting gas b/c it accelerates then brakes quickly instead of keeping a more steady pace w/ slower acceleration and braking. Or in control terms, the gain is too low in the feedback loop, causing oscillations.

What's ghost?

6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You found us! Welcome to Prius!

7. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OP.....If you keep the HSI below the red section your MPG will be better obviously.....I try to keep it midway in HV and around 20% or less in EV to get longer range.

Plenty of accessories out there for us....and many of the normal GEN 3 parts/accessories are the same too.....My signature has some of the mods ive done so far.

Parts store: 2012 Prius Plug-in Accessories : PriusChat Shop

Dan