1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

P2601 Coolant Problem - Dealership replaced waterpump... help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Phaedrus441, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Phaedrus441

Phaedrus441 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi guys,
    I recently had a P2601 engine code (Coolant Pump Control Circuit Range/Performance) come up on my 2004 Prius with 120k miles. Instead of trying to mess with a hybrid (which I've never worked on before), I opted to take it to the dealership.

The dealership ran the code like I did and replaced the water pump for ~$500. When I went to pick up the car, the check engine light was still on! I called the shop manager over, he took it back and reset the light, drove it around the block, and turned the car off-and-on a few times without the light coming back.

The light stayed off for three weeks, but now it's back on with the same engine code and I don't know what to do... I took the car back to the dealer and am waiting to hear what they say.

Does the waterpump have much to do with the P2601 code? The service adviser I worked with the first time is "no longer with Toyota." He told me when I dropped the car off initially that it was completely out of coolant (though it wasn't-- that's the first thing I checked). When I told him it had coolant, he got shifty and then told me that even the radiator didn't have coolant in it and that the water pump needed to be replaced...

Any tips on how I should proceed? They're supposed to get back to me today/tomorrow with a new diagnosis, but I don't want to get ripped off any further.

2. Phaedrus441

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just an update-- today the dealership called and said they needed to replace the heat recover pump as well. Waiting to hear how they want to charge me for it, especially after telling them it didn't seem right to replace the water pump in the first place...

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Which water pump did they replace? Both the Engine (ICE) water pump and the inverter water pump probably were near their end of life anyway at 120k miles. The inverter pump is a known weak link in 2004-2005 Prii and the replacements are a redesigned part. I had both replaced,new coolant in both loops, new serpentine belt and thermostat for a little less than $1000 at 150k miles.

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And dealerships wonder why they get the nickname "Stealership".

5. Phaedrus441

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, the dealership *sort of* came through for me.

The service manager personally took care of me-- he apologized profusely and had a really good attitude even when I got heated. They ended up replacing the coolant recovery pump for $113 including parts and labor, which seemed fair to me, especially since my engine water pump (which I paid full price to have replaced) would've probably only lasted another 20-30k anyways.

Overall I'm still of the opinion that dealerships charge too much, but this one (West Ashley Toyota in Charleston, SC) tried to remedy their mistakes and do it in a friendly way. That being said, I wouldn't recommend them to other prius owners, haha

I guess the main lesson I learned was, go with your gut instinct-- the first guy I worked with there seemed sleezy and the solution he proposed didn't seem right, but I just went with it because "dealers know best." haha

6. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At least you should be good for another six years on those two items? H

1 person likes this.
  7. 08PriusXSJ

08PriusXSJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Did the P2601 code come back ever again after the replacement of the CHRS pump?