1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. raspberryconverse

raspberryconverse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    3 weeks ago on a Tuesday, my check engine light came on. I took it to Autozone to check the code and it was something with the catalytic converter. I scheduled to have it looked at the following Tuesday (soonest I could get it in since I had class all day Monday), but by Thursday the light turned off. My dad's theory was a chunk of ice (I live in Wisconsin). Our mechanic said to call him if it came back on.

Well, last Tuesday it did and when I brought it in today, the code was now P1393: fuel run out. My mechanic is not hybrid savvy (yet) and was afraid because his research said it might be hybrid battery related. I just got a new hybrid battery in July, so that can't be it. Either way, he said take it to the dealership and I'm super reluctant to do so. The guys there were assholes when my hybrid battery needed to be replaced and they also wanted to charge me $600 to change the headlights shortly after I bought it.

I thought I'd ask here first before going to the dealership. Google tells me P3193 means I just ran out of gas and yes, it has happened maybe 3 times since I've owned the car, but it's never given me just a "check engine" when that's happened (usually multiple warning lights). I was low-ish on gas (2-3 pips) when the light came on. I've found I can do 40 miles post "add fuel." I managed to get to the point where it asked for fuel, did another 40 miles and put gas in last night before I dropped her off. Any ideas?

iPad ?

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm. I don't want to sound sarcastic, but I really think you should not push the Prius when it comes to the fuel gage. Quite a few on this forum refer to the gage as a "guess" gage rather than a gas gage or fuel gage.

If I were you I would get into the habit of refueling when you get down to two pips or three pips. Unless the gage is out of calibration, you normally will not run out of fuel doing that. Note I said normally. There have been exceptions to that rule.

My best advice would be this for a out of gas situation with a Prius. Add four "FULL" gallons of fuel to the Prius in one setting. Then try to start the Prius and get it into "Ready Mode". If the Prius won't start and or go into "Ready Mode", then try disconnecting the 12 volt battery for about 30 seconds, then reconnect it and try to start the Prius again. At that point the Prius should recognize the fuel and since you unhooked the battery most if not all of any codes present "should" be cleared.

Give that a shot. If you gets you back on the road, from then on make it a practice of buying fuel "sooner" than you do now. Several here on Prius Chat will say if you drive on a flashing pip, you are simply playing Russian Roulette. Sooner or later that live shell is going to come up and get you.

Hope this helps you. Let us know how it all works out.

Montgomery, HeadOfJarg and usnavystgc like this.
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also, it is very possible that I am confused at this point. I am under the impression you are out of gas, but your last few words said you put fuel in it.

If you truly ran out of gas after you added the fuel, then my next question would be did you add more than three gallons of fuel when you put the gas in.

4. raspberryconverse

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I may have been confusing in my manner of speaking. I'm not out of gas. I wasn't out of gas when the check engine light came on the second time, considering I had only driven 200 miles since I last filled up. The code I got from my mechanic was P3193: fuel run out. I'm trying to understand what this means because my mechanic isn't hybrid savvy and I really don't want to bring it to the dealership if I don't have to.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just a long shot, but check that your gas cap is on nice and tight (take it off and put it back on again). There have been a few people who've reported getting a code (not sure which one though) due to not having it on tight.

6. raspberryconverse

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I've filled up since the check engine light came on the second time, so if that was it, it'd be hard to say if that was the case. And in the quick call to cancel the original appointment, the mechanic suggested that as well since I didn't mention the catalytic converter during the call.

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There have been enough reports here of miscellaneous generic code readers giving false readings, that it is too soon for any certainty. The iced exhaust pipe theory has merit, given your location. The present out of gas code sounds suspicious.

There is a frequent PC'er, ericbecky in Madison. Hopefully he will chime in. If you ever get there, he could help. I realize you are a poor student, but if you can part with $30, then get the mini VCI (Prius code reader) on eBay, and you will be able to know more about these sorts of intermittent problems than your mechanic. It will pay for itself over the life of the car.

8. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the P3193 code was an old "stored" code and unrelated to the check engine light problem that seemed to resolve itself.

I guess I would be remiss without asking how your 12 volt battery health is.

9. raspberryconverse

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My mechanic said the catalytic converter code was an old stored code and P3193 was the current one. I don't even know how to check the 12v battery, to be honest...

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    cyberpriusII and FreydNot like this.
  11. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to reiterate --- What Dorunron and Frey said <check battery>...

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3193 is logged by the engine ECU and points to an out-of-fuel situation. Hence, if that DTC is current, that does imply that your car very recently ran out of fuel.

I would like to encourage you, as a Prius owner, to modify your refueling practices so that you avoid future out-of-fuel episodes without fail. That is definitely very bad for the car (especially the traction battery) and might not be so great for you, depending upon where you are left on the side of the road.

One very easy way to check the 12V battery is to turn on the headlights when the car is IG-OFF. If the lights are dim, that is a clear indication that the battery is weak.

Of course, if you can figure out how to use the MFD to get a numeric reading, or if you have a digital multimeter to measure battery voltage, even better.

13. raspberryconverse

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The light came on when I was 200 miles into a full tank. Not out of gas. When I filled up last night (8.43 gallons), I actually had all pips on my gas gauge, whereas the last few times the pump has stopped and I was down 1 pip. 12-8.43=3.57, not 0. That's what makes it confusing. If I wasn't out of gas when the check engine light came on, why was the DTC P3193: fuel run out? Are there other circumstances that would generate that same code?

14. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did you notice the engine seem to lose power at all. Like for example only running on electric when you would have thought the engine should also be providing power?

Anyway test the battery as soon as possible, any other attempt at diagnosis is pointless until that one is determined. Use the procedure linked above by Ron. No tools or meters required, just follow the procedure in the first post here: Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

15. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if your fuel pump is going out or fuel filter is clogged. I would wait for whatever it is to get worse. It will be easier to fix when the check engine light stays on consistently. If the fuel delivery system is messed up it could seem like you are out of gas to the computer. How many miles do you have?

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. It is incorrect to assume that you are starting with 12 gallons, after the fuel tank has been filled. The actual capacity of the Prius fuel tank can vary widely especially in cold ambient temps, due to the flexible bladder. Might be as low as 9 gallons in very cold climates.

2. It was previously suggested that the fuel pump or fuel filter might be getting flaky, thus impacting fuel flow to the engine. One check that could be made is to measure fuel rail pressure, which should be > 43 psi. This is something that you can have a mechanic to do for you.

If it turns out that fuel rail pressure is low, the solution is to replace the fuel tank since the pump and filter are located within and cannot be separately replaced. The circuit opening relay also should be tested to make sure that dirty relay contacts are not the reason for low voltage getting to the fuel pump and negatively impacting fuel rail pressure. That relay is one of four relays located in a module, within the main relay/fuse box next to the inverter.

Mendel Leisk and rleeinva like this.
  17. raspberryconverse

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To be honest, I don't always hear the gas engine turn on or off because I usually have the music loud (25) unless I'm at a light and it turns off. It feels like it's running normally, though.

I tried to do the battery check when I got home from a 30 min drive, but the headlight method wasn't working. I had to run upstairs to get the other method, which worked. Here's what it said:
    [​IMG]
    13.9v

The gas engine had kicked on when I pulled up the battery check (I had to repark my car anyway, now that enough snow has melted to see the lines in the parking lot), which sounds like it was starting to charge again. Should I try it again when I haven't put it into ACC mode 4+ times?

Mr.Electric, I have 123k miles.

Patrick Wong, I'm going to assert once again that I was not out of gas when the check engine light came on. I had put at least 8 gallons in 2 days prior, driven 200 miles and even though I've been getting around 37mpg with the weather, 8 gallons would give me at least 296 miles. Besides, if I was out of gas when the check engine light came on, how the hell could I have driven another 100 miles? Even if we go by the 8 gallons instead of 12, mathematically there's no way I could have been out of gas after 200 miles, when the check engine light went on.

So fuel rail pressure and the circuit opening relays should be checked, it seems.

18. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring

BTW. You are supposed to test the 12V with the ignition off. Ignition on does not tell you anything because the inverter is supplying the power in ignition on. Also, you should perform this test after the car sits overnight for a true reading. Furthermore, Patrick Wong is one of the best people to receive help from on this forum... Alienating him with abusive comments is equal to you going to the bank and setting up a direct payment link to your local Toyota Dealer. Just sayin'.

cyberpriusII and dorunron like this.
  19. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    raspberry,

Honestly, I think you are letting the Prius bladder mislead you. As Patrick Wong pointed out the capacity is far less than you believe.

From everything you have stated, it would not surprise me one bit that you really did run out of gas. However, since we do not know if the fuel system is working properly certain tests have to be made. Again Patrick Wong suggested the pressure of the fuel rail be tested. Any mechanic can check that for you.

Also, if you really want to check the 12 volt properly do it after the Prius has set overnight. The 13.9 volts really doesn't help you much other than showing that the charging system is working. What really tells the most is the voltage in the first part and the second part of the test.

I honestly believe you should develop a habit of buying fuel BEFORE the second pip disappears and NOT wait until the flashing pip is showing and then driving 40 miles after that. You are inviting a out of gas situation.

Ron (dorunron)

Montgomery and cyberpriusII like this.
  20. raspberryconverse

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The non-headlight instructions said to turn the power on, if it wasn't already on. It didn't specify ignition on or ACC mode. It also said in those instructions to check it after the car has been driven for 30 minutes, giving it a chance to fully charge. I'll recheck it tomorrow morning, seeing as I got conflicting information.

I didn't mean to be abusive, but I was getting frustrated with being told I had to have run out of gas to get the P3193 code when I knew it was impossible for me to have been out of gas when the check engine light came on. I know that I put in over 8 gallons and had driven 200 miles, so it was impossible to be out if gas at that point. I'd accept the theory that I really did run out of gas if the math said otherwise. I didn't know about the fuel bladder thing until I started investigating this code, so while it may seem possible that I truly could have been out of fuel, I was giving additional information to confirm that I wasn't. I know now that "full" doesn't always mean full, but 8 gallons is still 8 gallons. My apologies if my tone wasn't the greatest when trying to convey this.

I really do appreciate the help because I'm fairly clueless when it comes to cars. I know I shouldn't wait until the last minute to get gas, but I also tend to wait until the last minute to get my homework and reading done as well. Both are bad habits. And there often are times when it's Thursday, I'm down to 2 pips, have $20 in the checking account and no food in the house. Previous experience has shown that I can go at least 50 miles after the flashing pip, so I'll hit the grocery store and wait until I get paid on Tuesday to fill up. These are the decisions one has to make when on a very tight budget. I know I'm taking a chance when I do that, but sometimes that's the way it has to be. And sometimes I forget I was low on gas the night before and there just isn't time to stop before the 25 min drive to school. Excuses, excuses. I know. Just pointing out that while I know I should be better about the gas thing, it's not always an option.

Montgomery likes this.