1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paint Peeling/Chipping on Door Handles of 2006 Silver

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cattail722, Apr 30, 2014.

1. cattail722

cattail722 cattail722

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't seem to find a thread about this issue. The paint on the door handles of my 2006 Silver Prius is cracking and chipping off. The car is not ever garaged, so it is outside 24/7, since I bought it. Has anyone had a similar issue? Has Toyota fixed it for you? Any ideas on how I can fix this myself, if Toyota wants to charge me for this repair? The rear bumper is also starting to show signs that it will also soon chip. Seems only to be happening on the areas that are plastic, not the metal body parts. Thanks!

2. P&T PRIUS

P&T PRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have this same issue with the passenger door handles, probably because of the way its parked the majority of the time, I havent decided what I am going to do about it yet.

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Mine too, and it's an '08. Cracked and chipping on the tops of the rear door handles. Front door handles, exposed to the elements in the same manner, show no signs of problems. Classic silver. I also see some abraded paint at the bottom of the rear fender skirt on the drivers side. That may have resulted from a fender bump with the previous owner. Probably won't do anything about it. My rear spoiler is oxidizing, which is discussed in another thread. The fix for that is removal, sanding, and repainting. Probably the same for the door handles.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On an eight-year old car, there is no way that any auto manufacturer is going to help you with a paint issue. If this happened during the 3 year warranty period, maybe you might get some help.

5. quietmouse

quietmouse New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not much you can do but repaint them. All it takes is a rock chip and moisture gets underneath and makes a mess of things. You'd think with all of the chemicals we have now that there would be a better solution for how the paint adheres to plastic. Only time will tell.