1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Painted lower grille?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by F8L, Jan 24, 2013.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering if the PIP has a painted lower grille or a matte plastic look. My Three had a glossy black paint with blue sparkles in it. My PIP has ugly unpainted plastic. This can't be right can it?

2. genetiix

genetiix Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nope.. You are right. The PIP has the chrome/silver at the top only.. The rest is unpainted. The PIP grill is actually more expensive because of the 2 tone colors..

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    F8L, are you keeping the car? Am I crazy or the "bought a PIP, can't keep it" thread is gone? o_O

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Weird. The inner portion of the grill looks so cheap compared to my Three. Grrr

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had it removed. Didn't want family members reading it.

I am probably keeping it. I'm just really upset for miscalculating the incentives. I would not have bought an Advanced otherwise. :(

6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Cool. How much difference is there in your payments? Both monthly and in terms of the length?

Now you have an Advanced, what is your opinion on the LED headlights vs the Three's retrofitted HIDs?

Gas tracker+ is now free on the App Store! It was acquired by fuelly.

GasTracker + for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty substantial. After the incentives ($4000/60mo) it's about $123 more each month than my Three was. The difference in fuel cost will be negligible but may drop it to just below $100 more per month. It's obviously a much nicer car and my warranty starts over which my Three was one week away from 36k miles. Still, for the price I would have went with a Base model or bought one in NY to get the $6500 TFS bonus. Ahh well. Might as well enjoy it now.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't have the retrofit in my Three. I just had an HID kit in the OE halogen projectors. The LEDs are much much better. I'm not sure they are as good as the HIDs in my girlfriend's RDX but they are very nice. If I had to choose between LEDs and an H1 HID retro I would choose LEDs but only if price were not a concern.

9. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's what I meant - HID retrofit kit in factory projectors. :p Personally I have found my LEDs to be in between the reflector HIDs (Older Lexus IS, LS, Nissan Maxima, Infiniti G35) and European Projector HIDs.(newer Audi, Beemer) The new Audi / BMWs just have more intensity in the foreground, and perhaps a little more light spread to the sides.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Holy cow F8L, you're changing cars as fast as you used to change tires.:D

As long as the finances don't cause you too much pain, I think you will enjoy the extra toys on the advanced.

lensovet likes this.
  11. Big Dude

Big Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't blame you. Some of the stuff was insensitive--i was one of the culprits. I'm truly sorry for that. My wife likes to see what I posted from time to time so I understand. You will like the AT model. Headlights are nice, but I love the power seat, HDD navigation, 8-Speaker JBL audio, radar cruise control, Auto-dimming mirror with garage door opener built in, and seat fabric. You probably had some stuff on your level 3 that the base did not have. Time to look forward.

F8L likes this.
  12. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yup, I was busy for a few weeks playing with all the advanced toys on the Five. I am still finding things that wow me ever now and then.

13. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    F8L, don't feel bad about changing cars so fast, I did the same thing, I had a 2005 ford escape had it for 10 months traded for a 2005 Prius. I had the 2005 for almost 7 years, and now the plug-in. I think you will be really happy with the Plug-in advanced! Enjoy! (y)

F8L likes this.
  14. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Justin, glad it is working out OK for you. Enjoy your new car. :)

15. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    oh man i'm so happy for you…you have no idea lol.

congrats on the car, i feel sad about missing out on the thread. did you buy the car in CA?

as far as the bumper is concerned…yep…unpainted piano black plastic. but it's exactly the same on the current-gen liftbacks – the silver/chrome stripe at the top is the only difference.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah... I was wondering what happened the other day. Then, I figured you had deleted it or had it deleted.
    Woah. You put a ton of miles on your cars. My 06 bought in January 06 is just past 70K miles now.

At least you can say you kept your Gen 2 for a long time, to sorta counterbalance this quick turnover.

I hope you get to keep both the car and your girl.

F8L and lensovet like this.