1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Parked w/ 6 bars, startup with 2 bars

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by fangtl, May 6, 2015.

1. fangtl

fangtl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Newb here. Had a Gen 2 years ago, first time with a Gen 3. Specs: 2011 Prius Two, not II, CPO'd with 83k miles. I've been experiencing this phenomenon for the past couple of days. I would park the car with 6 or 7 bars, but after 8-10 hours of parking it would power up with only 2 bars, or it would power up with 4-5 bars and quickly go down to 2 cars before it charges back up to 6-7 bars. I called the dealer and the SA tells me it's normal. I know for a fact my Gen 2 didn't and my TCH didn't. So is this something I should be concerned about or is this normal for the Gen 3?

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not normal. You should get a scangauge and program one of its xgauge to monitor state of charge.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    iirc, a few people have mentioned one or two bars, but not four.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi VA well good thing is you got 8 yrs 100,000m warranty on the battery. But that'd be rare we only one or two reports of Gen3 batt failure so far (excepting for some overseas taxis). Nothing quite fits here. If you were getting up full battery all bars and parking in the heat, that's one scenario becuase the batt can overheat sitting with a totally full charge, But you are saying not totally full.

A/C does a lot to deplete bars quicker in summer. For kinder start up try without A/C and warm up several minutes.

#4 wjtracy, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015