Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

1. TGB4 2014 Prius Convention Hotel Discounts are ending this week. Click for more information. All Access registration with personalized items ends Sept 1. Register now!

Part III: Follow-up reviews/opinions on Valenti JDM full LED tail lamps from TWP

Discussion in 'Gen III 2010+ Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by 32kcolors, Jul 19, 2011.

Social Buttons

1. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is Part III of a three part series reviewing the Valenti JDM full LED tail lamps that Calvin (HI MPG) and I are testing for TWP’s Gauging Interest campaign. If you haven’t read the earlier threads, see Part I (open box reviews) and Part II (installation and initial reviews).

I’ve been driving with the Valenti HC (red lens/regular chrome) taillights for a little over 3 weeks now with absolutely no issues to date. My units never exhibited the hyper flash condition seen in Calvin’s original passenger’s side unit, an issue that appears to be entirely eliminated in the replacement unit he received.

Compared to stock taillights, the Valenti lamps make the rear end look less tall and more balanced, with the LED turn signals mounted lower making them better proportioned. The red model also gives it a smaller appearance, which should stem a common complaint among Gen II owners that the Gen III tails look too big.

The HC model also makes the rear end look more high-end, something like BMW would design if it had the Prius. The jewel design lends the appearance of high-end taillights similar to those found on 2009+ Porsche 911s (are you listening, stream? :) ) and other luxury/exotic cars. I’m extremely satisfied with them as they’re consistent with my modification style, which is to keep the car looking as stock as possible while enhancing its appearance in several areas and at the same time be a little different from all the other Prius out there. Those of you who prefer more sporty taillights can opt for the smoked SC version that Calvin has or the other red CS model.

I’m really enjoying the increased red coverage that these lamps have over the Crystal Eye and K2 Tuning red models. Additionally, they house 4 LED bars which in my opinion look more balanced compared to just 3 bars found on the other brands. The greater numbers of LEDs in brake, turn signal and reverse lights also provide superior light outputs compared to competitors. Relative to stock lamps, the LEDs produce either equivalent or brighter lights depending on the condition (e.g., the Valenti small/parking lights look dimmer at night when viewed head on but have much wider viewing angles, whereas the Valenti brake lights are significantly more visible during the day, especially from a distance). The cool white light from the reverse LEDs, while roughly equivalent to OEM when viewed from a distance, appears dimmer in the back-up NAV screen but projects further out and is compensated by the much stronger Valenti brake lights (the foot tends to remain on the brake most of the time while backing up). Seeing everything in red at night takes a bit of time to get used to.

The only drawback I can find is the Valenti lamps do not come with side brackets/wings and bottom retainer clips, which you must salvage from the stock units. Fortunately, they’re easily transferred and those of you who are environmentally conscious would certainly consider this a pro, as this greatly minimizes material and packaging waste as well as keeps the cost down. Another advantage to salvaging the OEM parts is you know they’re a perfect fit for your particular car and the brackets look totally stock with Toyota’s name tag (visible when the hatch is opened), as opposed to replica brackets/clips with potentially slightly off fit.

On a final note, Panson and his company TWP have acquired a great reputation among past GB participants in other forums. He takes care of his customers (as he did in Calvin’s case) and stands behind his products, offering a one-year warranty including free replacements for leaking or dead LED bulbs. I am quite certain a GB on the Valenti lamps would prove a great success if market interest here is high enough and it’s a superb opportunity to get a reasonable price on JDM full LED tail lamps, which normally cost $550 to $750+ shipped if you were to import them yourself.

Pro:

• Full LED including turn signals and reverse lights
    • 78 LEDs produce equivalent (or brighter under some conditions) light outputs compared to stock lamps
    • 4 LED bars and 3 strips of brake light per unit (vs. 3 bars and 2 strips in other brands) provide for a more balanced look and brighter overall light
    • Wider selection of styles to choose from, including two red models (with more red coverage compared to competitors)
    • Built-in flasher relay, eliminating the need for an external turn signal canceller box
    • Excellent fit and finish
    • One-year free replacement warranty through TWP for leaking or dead LED bulbs

Con:

• Lack the brackets and retainer clips which you must transfer from OEM units (although some of you might consider this a pro as this minimizes waste)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side-by-side comparison of Valenti HC model and OEM unit

[​IMG]

Video of Valenti and OEM units in action

HC model on Blizzard Pearl

Now my car is screaming for some shark fin and tints.
    EdyJun likes this.
  2. justintiime

justintiime Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ok is it time for the GROUP BUY YET?! :D
  3. bluelyfe

bluelyfe New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much was the Tail lights?
    They look really good!
    Where did you buy them off of?
    thank you
  4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've redded-out my 3rd brake light to match the Valenti lights. Although you can replace the clear 3rd brake light with a red one, I used red tints as a cheaper way to match them (bino also did the same for his red Crystal Eyes). The "Red Smoke" film is a perfect match for the HC units (don't get the Protection version--too pink) and they also have smoke versions for those of you getting the SB units. Just $14.99 for a 24" by 24" film.

[​IMG]

Those of you who'd like a copy of the high resolution wallpapers below can PM me. They're 1280 x 800.

Valenti wallpaper HC

[​IMG]

Valenti wallpaper SB color blurs

[​IMG]

I also created a Valenti vanity license plate in several color combos (shown in the first photo at the top of the post) available for downloading. It's already framed 8" by 12" so print as a 8 x 12 photo and trim to 6 x 12 (or however much to fit your license plate holder).
  6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A number of people are getting the Valenti lights next month so be sure to post pics here when you get them :)

If you want to be one of them, act now because group buy ends on Sept 15th.
  7. XMAN LIVE

XMAN LIVE "Just have Fun!"

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Okay now I am second guessing my self... CR: 4th pic (Clear Lens/Red chrome) blinkers are yellow or red? I can’t find video of these lights in action. Anyone need to know quick as deadline for GB is Saturday AM. Want to make sure order is okay? I may need to change to HC: 2nd pic (Red Lens/Chrome) as I can see in video turn lights are yellow... I like the CR 4th pic, but have big issue with red blinkers... Please advice...

[​IMG]
  8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Blinkers are not red. The following six photos show the CR (Clear Len/Red Chrome) lighted differently. The upper right hand corner photo shows the lamp with no light on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1 person likes this.
  9. XMAN LIVE

XMAN LIVE "Just have Fun!"

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Thanks so much... yea! Very Cool:rockon::rockon::rockon:
  10. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, when a light burns out on our Valenti tail lights, how do we change them? and with what do we change them (what type bulb)?
  11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

You don't have to worry too much about that. They're LEDs and are supposed to last for the life of the car. That's like worrying about your LED turn signal mirrors burning out. Any defective LEDs will fail within the first year and you have a one year free replacement warranty through TWP.
  12. GoldPianoGarden

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

cool.....peace of mind!
  13. josh2008

josh2008 Hyundai Tech

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So where can these be purchased? Want the smoked ones!
  14. dehhh

dehhh Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  16. sc24vr6

sc24vr6 Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They are same guy using same pictures

Robert
  17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Yes, I know. I'm saying why pay more on eBay when you could purchase directly from website?
  18. GoldPianoGarden

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Prob to make up the difference due to eBay's "cut" that they take from whatever you sell on there...and Paypal's, etc., etc....
  19. pansontw

pansontw Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's stated on Ebay. Contact for more detail!!

20. youstockyo

youstockyo Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got these lights about a month ago and love the way they look on my ride! Unfortunately, I noticed a crack at the top of my driver's side light. I sent TWP a picture and they were cool about it and sent me a replacement unit right away. But then that one was also cracked with a piece falling off this time. =(

Anyone else receive cracked lights? My box was pretty beat up, so I'm sure it happened in transit. Do you guys think I'll be getting a 2nd replacement from TWP?

Thx for any help/advice!