1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

passenger airbag light and seat belt buzzer/light not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by havefun_18, Mar 26, 2014.

1. havefun_18

havefun_18 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought a prius 2007.

I have a unique situation:

•No passenger: light is "Airbag" - No red flashing seat belt sign
    •Passenger with seat belt: light is "Airbag" - No red flashing seat belt sign
    •Passenger with no seat belt: light is "Airbag" - No red flashing seat belt sign

I have no other warning lights on the dash.

I tried to check to check if there are any loose wires/connectors under the passenger seat but everthing looks ok.

Is there a blown fuse?

Please help

Thanks

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not likely a fuse, as you would be noticing other problems. Fuses involved are: IGN, ECU-B, ECU-IG.

Does the driver side work OK? Light goes on and off, etc? The main terminus for all the various bags and sensors is the Center airbag Sensor Assembly, which is under the dash, on the hump, forward of the armrest. Not an easy thing to check unless you have diagrams and a voltmeter. Was any work or alteration done that would have caused that area to have been disturbed? The other option is the Occupant Classification ECU, which is under the passenger seat and which you say looked OK.

I would get a code scan done to look for DTC. Working on the airbag system might be best left to the pro's if you are not comfortable.

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1

4. havefun_18

havefun_18 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for your reply "nh70"

The driver is working fine and normal. The buzzer sounds and the seat light blinks if I don't wear the seat belt. Once the seat belt is worn the light and sound goes away which is normal.

This is a rebuilt car which had passenger side impact., so I am not sure if anything was done with the alternator or no.

when you put the car in on mode you can see the all the light come on the desk which that all the warning lights are working fine, but I do not see the light for passenger airbag "on" or "off" illuminating neither the passenger seat belt light.

is it possible the warning light bulb itself is out, is there way to test it.

Thanks

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What happens if you drive a bit with a passenger in the seat, but no seat belt fastened? Does the alarm go off after a minute?

6. havefun_18

havefun_18 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    nothing happens when the passenger occupies the seat. no buzzer no lights
    thanks

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is not a simple issue. It appears that the weight sensor in the passenger seat is not functioning. That could be a wiring harness issue.

However you should also see three different warning lights on the passenger-side of the dashboard:
    - one that is labeled PASSENGER AIRBAG or something similar
    - one that is labeled ON, to the right of the first light, when something heavy occupies the passenger seat
    - one that flashes the seat belt warning when the passenger seat is occupied and the seat belt is not engaged

It could be that the passenger-side airbag deployed in the accident, was not correctly repaired, and those warning lights and warning buzzer were disconnected in an attempt to hide the problem. I also suggest you seek professional assistance to investigate.

Or, subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com so you can obtain factory repair manual info and electrical wiring diagrams. I believe you'll have to dig fairly deep to figure this out.

8. havefun_18

havefun_18 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks Patrick.
    I will take this to dealer and let him figure out the problem.
    thanks