1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Paul, New 2003 owner runs good but warning symbols come on frequently

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Paul Baillie, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Paul Baillie

Paul Baillie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I bought an 03 with 58K miles on it. shortly after I bought it the check main battery light came on, after the local Toyota dealer told me I needed a new main battery ( 5 to 6 K $ installed! ) I started looking for an independent mechanic with some Hybrid experience. I was lucky to find a good shop locally (I live in Hilo, Hawaii) with at least as good a diagnostic machine as the dealer. I had a P3000 code, a high voltage leak. It turned out to be corroded buss bars and cables, with 2 leaking cells, $1,450.00 latter the onboard computer said the problem was fixed and my display read normally for about 1,500 miles before I started getting that code and the check main battery light again. I took it back to the shop tat did the work and they ran the diagnostic's on it again, checking the main power cables that led from the main battery under the car to the Toyota Hybrid system, inverter? under the hood they checked all of the high voltage connections, they all checked out fine. The shop then took several days to do an online search for possible causes. This led to the CV trans axle with its electric motors and generators as the possible culprit. The car is running and driving fine, so I did the 60,000 mile transmission oil change, suggested by my mechanic ( apparently the fluid becomes conductive with age) the check battery light will go off if I remove the secondary battery terminal for a minute or so and stayed off for 2 tanks of gas after the fluid change but it did come back on. I can reset the computer easily enough and it will stay off for 3 to 400 miles but I'm looking for any other ideas to get the damn light to stay off. I'm going to change the trans fluid again and then I'm about out of ideas. Has anyone ever changed the drive motor or generator?, can this be done in the car? or at all? It may be that if this is the problem it may end up making sense to just put in a new CV transaxle, I can get one for around $3,500.00 any thoughts or insights?

Aloha, Paul B

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Paul,

DTC P3009 is the high voltage ground fault code. As you have noticed, you can drive the car indefinitely with that code logged.

I believe the transaxle can be unbolted from the engine, then removed from the car. However if the high voltage ground fault is the only problem you may wish to defer that repair.

If you decide to replace the transaxle you might look into the availability of a used unit from a salvage yard, perhaps in Honolulu. I assume that the freight costs from the Mainland would be excessive.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm going to suggest you get a Prius-aware scanner. This will give you the key information to tell if the transaxle is failing or this is just an ordinary, humidity associated, ground leak.

Bob Wilson

4. Paul Baillie

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the feedback. This is new technology to me so I am trying to get up to speed' Where might I obtain a Prius aware scanner? I've seen references to a Mini VCI, is that a different type of device? I find it odd that, while the dealers will charge you for running a diagnostic on your car they won't tell you what, specifically, is wrong, just bring it in with a bag of money and they'll fix it!

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Don't worry so much about the dealers. There were only 50,000 of the model Prius sold in the USA and dealers are really more interested in newer models.

The miniVCI requires a Windows XP although some have had luck with installing on more recent Windows versions. It comes with a hacked Techstream. Other alternatives include a Scangauge II or AutoEnginuity. Prices and capabilities vary.

What these Prius-aware scanners do is read out the same codes the dealer can read out as well as vehicle metrics that help fault-isolate problems. So if the transaxle is not over heating, leave it alone, it ain't broke. As for a leak to ground, well it can be handled by a traction battery disassembly and reassembly but there are risks. For example, the sense wires can be broken especially if the leak to ground came from corrosion.

You have options and this and the two Yahoo Groups are the best places to find 'informed' advice.

Bob Wilson

Paul Baillie likes this.
  6. Paul Baillie

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How do you know if the transaxle is overheating? I removed the inverter coolant fill cap and the coolant was burbling away in there. so the inverter coolant pump is good. Is that all part of the main engine cooling system or a separate system? what type of coolant is used, standard antifreeze? I assume the transaxle is cooled by the engine's radiator, Auwe! so much technology!

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need a scanner that will report the MG1 and MG2 temperatures.

The engine coolant system is separate from the inverter/transaxle coolant system.

The coolant to be used is either Toyota Super Long Life coolant (50K mile change interval) or Toyota Long Life Coolant (30K mile change interval.)

If you do not like technology, a Toyota hybrid definitely is a poor choice.