Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

PCS Light

Discussion in 'Gen III 2010+ Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubles' started by GAM, Nov 27, 2009.

Social Buttons

1. GAM

GAM Australian Prius Owner

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi All,
    First post, but I felt compelled to write this as I have been googling and no-one seems to have had this problem.

Let me start by saying I am in Australia, so I am not sure whether overseas models have the same setup (we put the steering wheel on the other side to most of you guys).

However, I have had issues with the PCS light coming on intermittently.

Asked the dealer who had no idea, even when I took it in while the light was on. They returned it saying no fault found, no fault codes. I was assured it was a fault light.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I found that there is a Pre-Collision System override switch located just above the brake pedal. It seems that on a few occassions I have managed to bump the switch with my foot as it is immediately about the brake pedal with a basic "push-on / push-off" switch.

It is likely to be more of an issue with womens pointed toe shoes ........not that I was wearing those :)

But.....to me it is a bit of a design flaw. Very easy to turn off your pre-collision safety system by accident and then have no added benefit when you plough in to a wall.

I will be making a cover to stick over it for future.
    GAM
  2. GAM

GAM Australian Prius Owner

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do all regions have this button or is it a local (Australian) thing?
  3. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Only the models equipped with the DRCC (Dynamic Radar Cruise Control) have the PCS (Pre-Collision System), because the Radar is the heart of the system, that being said, the U.S. Prius's are broken up into models, beginning with the II, and progressing to the III, IV and finally to the V. Each model can have packages that can be included with that model. For example, the only way to obtain the PCS, in a U.S. model, is to purchase the model V and have it equipped with the Advanced Technology Package, which includes: DRCC, LKA (Lane Keep Assist), PCS and IPA (Intelligent Park Assist). This is not based on Regions, just on which model you want, and how you want it equipped.

The switch (on U.S. models) to deactivate the PCS, is located under the dashboard in-line with the steering column, nowhere near the footpedlas.

David (aka Blind Guy)
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North Staff Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're not really turning it off. You're only turning off the PCS Braking System. The seatbelts will still tighten and the system will still warning you with a BRAKE! message.
  5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I did the same thing, thought it was broken. Then remembered I had just reset the TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) and the buttons were close together, I had pushed the PCS while fumbling for the TPMS button.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North Staff Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh crap. I need to reset the TPMS. I bumped my pressures up to 42/40 on Nokian Rs but forgot to reset the TPMS.
  7. lloydb

lloydb New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GAM,

You little ripper! Thanks a lot for that. My PCS light came on today and I didn't know what to do about it.
    I am taking the car in for a service tomorrow and was going to tell them about it then.

I found your post, and tried your trick and it worked! Thankyou :)

I never knew this button was there!

Thanks again for your contribution!

Cheers,

Lloyd. :)

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A