1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PCV Valve Extracted 2008 Throttle Body cleaned Belt Replace

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Greg Kaiser, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Greg Kaiser

Greg Kaiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I managed to get to the PCV Valve on my 2008.

I removed the Air Cleaner Housing 2 Bolts on top and one obscure clamp bolt
    just underneath were the MAP sensor resides or maybe TPS. Lifts off but is teathered
    by a sensor wire. Cautious not to tension it. I presume if the engine is off you can remove the connector so there is more freedom to move the housing out of the way.(hopefully it will not set any codes)

Next I removed 3 screws that hold down the wiring harness and unclipped a couple
    of clips as well that free up other parts of the wiring harness.

I also had to disconnect the terminals to the spark plugs except for the one on the right
    That one I had to remove the spark plug wire since I had a hard time depressing the 2 plastic clips that hold the connector on to that plug assembly. I removed the bolt that holds
    the plug wire in first.

Getting that loose I was able to pull the wiring harness forward and out of the way
    of the PCV valve so I could use my 3/4" box end wrench to loosen the PCV Valve.
    Installed new Valve in Reverse order.

From there I cleaned the throtle body. Had to manually hold open the TB valve and used a cloth wrapped around a tooth brush that was soaked with carb cleaner. I got 98% of the carbon out. The car has 69,300 miles. There was quite a bit of carbon in there.

Next I soaked (WD40) the lock bolt of the idler pulley for the drive belt I used a cheater bar to loosen Toyota is famous for using a yellow lock tight on everything. Loosened the adjsutment bolt and undraped the belt off the pulleys. I was able to get the belt back on without removing any fender panels. Tigntened and adjusted the belt.

Tonight Tranaxle fluid and Inverter Fluid

Greg

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That sensor wire goes to the MAF. You could unplug it that wire at the sensor. It needs to be serviced to. Remove it from the filter housing and spray it with MAF cleaner.

BTW, WD40 is not a great product. It stinks and the lube will not stay on the metal long. Old school. Much better stuff out.

This stuff at HD is excellent. Its a spray grease and stays where you spray it and no smell:

Blaster 11 oz. Corrosion Stop Grease 16-CSP at The Home Depot

While your under there spray the front end with the CSP. Everything that moves spray lightly especially the 2 control arm bushings that when they dry out clunk. Spray the suspension down lightly. It will keep the car very quiet up front. Anything that you see is starting to corrode spray it except the exhaust & the brake rotors.

There's an electric connection kind of high on the trans case. Its the resolver. It tend to get wet and the connector corrodes. If the internal connection rots out bad enouigh the trans needs to be replaced. Spray all electrical conectors to keep them mositure proof. All door hinges.hood latch..hood hinges..rear hatch hinges.

While under the car doing the CVT fluid spray both inner & outer cv joint boots with Black Magic Protectant. That stuff is great. Spray the clamps with CSP and the rubber boots with BMP. Spray the boots in the door that protect the wires with BMP.

3. Greg Kaiser

Greg Kaiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks will consider doing