1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pee Vee’s Pee-Poor NHTSA Grade & Zero IIHS Frontal Crash Prevention Rating

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by catgic, Jul 14, 2014.

1. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I wants me my Automobile Safety “Bells & Whistles.” I want an “Autobraking & Speed Mitigation” Collision Avoidance System from Toyota in my Prius v Five Wagon w/ Advanced Technology Package, which is not sucking hind teat behind Subaru.

Apparently, the $5,650 premium ponied up for the Prius v Five Wagon w/ Advanced Technology Package (ATP) is money tamped down a Nipponese rat hole. The vee’s ATP purports to deliver “Autobraking & Speed Mitigation” safety to the Pv5ATP, via Toyota’s Pre-Collision System (PCS) & Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) systems. However, the Prius v Five w/ ATP fails to meet NHTSA criteria for forward collision warning, as well as failing IIHS’ minimal autobraking tests. Therefore, the vee does not qualify for an IIHS front crash prevention rating because it received a “Goose Egg” rating, as in Zero, Nada, Naught…Zilch.

The Subaru Legacy & Outback, with their EyeSight™ Collision Avoidance System, received the highest Autobrake Points Rating of “5.” Beating out even the Cadillac ATS/SRX, Mercedes-Benz C-Class & Volvo S60/XC60, which all came in with a “4” Rating.

The “5” Rating means Subaru’s EyeSight™ speed mitigation system can prevent crashes at low and moderate speeds, better than all the others, whereas, the Pee vee, with its Zero “0” Rating, cannot.

Prius v Wagon IIHS Rating: 0 (Forward collision warning) + 0 (Low-speed autobrake) + 0 (High-speed autobrake) = 0 (Overall evaluation: DOESN’T MEET MINIMUM CRITERIA)

Duh-h-h-h…Before I replace my current 2012 “Caddy In A Kimono” Prius v Five Wagon with a new one, I want Toyota to upgrade and integrate their Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) & Pre-Collision System (PCS) installed in the Prius v Five w/ ATP so it matches-parallels the functionality and safety capabilities of Subaru’s “EyeSight™” Collision Avoidance System. Additionally, I want this “New And Improved” Toyota Advanced Technology Safety Package to bundle DRCC & PCS together with Lane Keep Assist (LKA), Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) & Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA) --- and still keep this Upgraded ATP Safety Option Package priced below $6,000.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Winner of this weeks' Most Acronyms in One Post award!

jonb505 and ftl like this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ask yourself this question, then all becomes clear: When was the car designed, and when were these tests implemented?

I think you will find that the Prius v was already in production before either test was announced. It is hard to design for a test which does not exist yet.
    I would bet big money that both are addressed in the next redesign of the v. (2018?)

fuzzy1 likes this.
  4. Makaru

Makaru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    As a Prius V owner, and someone who spends a lot of time in Japan, I can assure you that a Prius V is certainly not a “Caddy In A Kimono” . There are some Japanese cars that could be designated as such (and they are only sold in the Japanese domestic market). In North America the Toyota Avalon might be called such, but the Prius V, never. It's too low rent.

5. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Makaru – For the record, Ole Watakushi-wa is not a stranger to Japan, and has lived in “Full Cultural Immersion” over in Japan.

A loaded Prius v(vee) goes for $36,000±. That is not “Low Rent” in our humble household. The Toyota Avalon is certainly a nicely appointed automobile. I gave it a look and considered buying one. I, particularly, like the 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring that offers the “Bells & Whistles” Technology Package of Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC), & Pre-Collision System (PCS) equipped with the available Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) & Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA).

While the Hy-Avalon is a very nice ride, I find its interior cabin space to be a bit small, its 2.5-Liter 4-Cylinder ECVT Hybrid Synergy Drive to be somewhat fuel thirsty in real-world use, than is the 1.8-Liter 4-Cylinder ECVT Hybrid Synergy Drive powered Prius v(vee), and, which falls short of meeting the Catgic’s personal “Caddy In A Kimono” standards. As with its sporty cousin, the Scion FR-S, I find the chassis design of the Avalon to be a “Head Banger,” as in “I always seem to bang my head on the upper driver’s door frame when I get into the Avalon or FR-S.” Additionally, the rear passenger leg and everything-else-room in my Prius v(vee) Petrol Warfighter boasts door-to-door, move-round Limousine-esque dimensions and comfort, while the Avalon does not quite match it. No rear passengers banging their knees on the back of the driver’s and front passenger’s seat backs while riding in my v(vee). Even the “Government Motors” actual 2014 Caddy offerings miss that Limousine legroom mark. With my Driver’s Seat positioned where I place it for driving, there is a measured 12-inches of Back-Of-The-Front Seat-To-Rear Passenger Seat Edge empty knee and legroom space in which the rear passenger can lounge.

Wait, there is more! It is the most important requirement that the v(vee) meets. My “Green Eyeshade,” CFO Bride has what I call the “Washing Machine-In-A-Box” Specification, which she demands be met and fulfilled by any of our Family “Caddy In A Kimono” Limos. It is non-negotiable. She simply will not spend $36+K to buy a car that cannot accommodate her buying, fitting, and hauling home, a boxed Washing Machine or Clothes Dryer or Dish Washer or similar volumetrically sized payload in the Cargo Cavity of our primary Family Chariot.

#5 catgic, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  6. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PCS was only ever advertised to warn of a collision, pretension belts, and prep the brakes for you to hit them. Pre-Collision System isn't the same as crash prevention. It is older tech that was available when the v was in development. The newer, better self braking system isn't due out for a little bit.

I've gotten the audible warning before and hit the brakes in enough time to not hit the car in front of me in a terrible rain storm. It worked as advertised.