1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Performance chip toyota prius 06-08 35+ hp 8 mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by KK6PD, Mar 10, 2009.

1. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    True, but have you taken into consideration that except for Lake Wobegon, 50% of Prius drivers are below average Prius drivers? That's a big potential market.:cheer2:

2 people like this.
  2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We know. If you get better mileage by running too lean, you will pay for it with engine damage. This forum is full of engineers. It will take a lot more than a snake oil advertisement to fool this group.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    absolutely running too lean choaks the engine. Just a bit more lean improves mpg. Snake oil is 80+ mpg fix. 8-10 mpg runs just a bit more lean. As I said I've run the chips on other vehicles 100k+ miles now.
    To each his own. I'm not twisting arms. Just presenting findings (not guess work speculation. ) As well looking for valid info.
    I'm not convinced it's for the prius as in a short time only gathered minimal results. I would like to hear from engineers. Not bs speculation.
    What type of engine damage at what mixture?

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Reminds me of the water injection tread.

One of the functions of gasoline is to cool the combustion. And if you doubt that there is unburned fuel going out the tailpipe, check out this accessory... Flame Thrower Kit - Single Exhaust Flame Thrower Kit, Dual Exhaust Flame Thrower Kit

If all the fuel was burned inside the engine, then catalytic converters wouldn't run so hot, or even be necessary.

I don't know about 20%, but there is obviously a lot of energy left in what goes out the tailpipe. Running leaner should improve fuel efficiency.

The problem with running leaner is heat, and the emissions profile of running hotter. NOX emissions are a problem, but so are burned valves and more quickly damaged oil.

The current designs are the best compromise the manufacturers have been able to come up with to date. If you don't mind a blown engine and worse emissions, then you probably can squeeze more power out of an altered fuel map.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This would be true if we were talking about a different car, but in the case of the Prius, Toyota pulled out all of the stops to optimize it. They didn't leave much on the table. If you squeak out a bit more mileage by leaning the mixture, you either burn the valves, generate more emissions, or both. This isn't an old carbureted Chevy where almost any shade tree mechanic could squeeze out a few more mpg; this is a finely turned, optimized machine.

Tom

6. 2007-Prius-hybrid

2007-Prius-hybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

NERDS!!
    :focus: ha ha LOL:):cheer2:

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think it is a given that you will increase NOx by leaning out the mixture - this is why the manufacturers who used lean burn technology (Chrysler, Honda, et. al.) have abandoned it - they could no longer meet NOx standards.

Also, if you read "The Prius that Shook the World" (the English translation of the book about the development of the Prius) you will find that the design philosophy of the Prius was not to create the highest mileage car - it was to create a sustainable car for the next century by creating the lowest emission gasoline powered car. I think that people often don't realize this.

2 people like this.
  8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A result from one tank is happenstance. If it did have an effect it almost certainly also increased tailpipe emissions. Why buy a green car and turn it brown?

2 people like this.
  9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The fuel isn't burned inside the engine because the ignition is cut off to allow air fuel mixture to go straight out the tail pipe. That's why the rocket scientists that sell that trash tell you to take your catalytic converter off when you install the kit.:eek:

The combustible gases fuel that go out the tail pipe on a properly running modern engine, CO and HxCx are in the parts per million and no way will you get them to combust.:rolleyes:

10. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone PLEASE! THINK OF THE CATALYTIC CONVERTERS! Don't fry them by leaning the crap out of the engine.

11. krg03

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very true about one tank full. I've done 2 with the same results. As far as green vs brown, you must mean browner. I don't run 100% ev. Increased emissions, I thought of that. I have a friend runs a smog shop. I took a 50mi drive and measured the emissions. Will do the same in a month. Maybe not the most scientific but a better guess than the speculation I read.

How lean does the mod make it? I don't know, You don't know.

Next will be a dyno test with/without. Just for grins. With some of the facts THEN in hand, I can blast the product. As I said above, I've put them on other cars and they pass smog. Doesn't mean anything for the prius working or not.

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    About the flame thrower... Wouldn't cutting the ignition kill the engine? Do they just cut it for a fraction of a second?

Hey, if I'm trying to race away from a bad guy, the last thing I want is the ignition cutting out. Maybe the flaming tailpipe isn't such a good idea. Maybe the smoke generator from the same company would be a better idea. :eek:

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be sure to measure it in front of the catalytic converter, both with and without the mod chip. The cat is burning up some of the extra junk (and reducing its own life) before your friend can measure it at the tailpipe.

14. krg03

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good point.
    Also anyone noticed using fuel injector cleaning lowers mpg. I consistantly get 55-58 mpg. Added fuel additive (same gas station) to a tank full and now I get 45mpg. It took 2 tank fillups to get back my mpg. Performance chip fault? Inquiring minds will find out.