1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PHV Prius Owner Videos

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by john1701a, Mar 18, 2012.

1. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You make some interesting points.. For a 50 mile interstate drive, would it be better to maintain 70+ mph in blended HV mode (with EV selected) and let the battery absorb and build future EV miles, but with sacrifice of HV mileage
    or
    drive the same trip in straight HV mode (CS) at 60-65 mph at a greater average mpg, but not gaining any future EV range?

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Very Nice, thanks. It is most interesting to watch how, initially, available EV range drops way faster than actual miles driven, in the beginning. BUT eventually actual miles driven catch up and exceed the original EV range! ...How high and low demands balance out eventually and the car acheieves what's advertised and more!
    Regeneration is remarkable,too.

1 person likes this.
  3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, but that value is truncated to the whole number and only for the sake of reporting efficiency.

3.1 kWh is what I've been witnessing as an average for a full recharging, including conversion loss.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It depends on your overall travel distance.

For my 16.7 mile commute, it's better to EV it at 70 mph. That blending is so well balanced, I end up with just enough electricity left to later move the Prius my regular parking spot to the charging-station... perfect for those days I want to take a walk on my break, but don't want to use any gas.

The catch with the charging-station is it usage is allowed for only 4 hours. So, plugging in must happen in the afternoon or following a late lunch... which works out nice for battery longevity anyway. The "cold soak" is beneficial prior to recharging. And today's was especially worthwhile, since I discovered a Volt also plugged in there. (Bet the driver was surprised to see my PHV.)

5. Piprius

Piprius Member of the cult of Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    John, I would kill for your flat (ish) terrain. I drive tons of short rolling hills. There is one that drains 0.4 miles of EV for less that 0.1 miles traveled. I feel I am going to be wishing that the blank spot on the steering wheel was the HV-EV button for all the switching I may have to do.

Nice videos!

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I enjoyed filming this. Hope you like watching it, in addition to finding it informative...

HeadCam

Filming 3 different subjects each with different illumination all at the same time presented quite a challenge. For the HUD (Heads Up Display) to be seen properly projected onto the windshield, the camera had to be located extremely close to the driver's eyes. For both the speedometer-cluster and HUD to look sharply focused, waiting for an overcast day to have soft & consistent lighting was essential. For there to be enough EV capacity available to demonstrate a hill-climbing trip, only a single test-drive to calibrate equipment would be possible.

Confident I was well prepared, I straped the GoPro HD video camera onto my head, then pressed record. On the two turns where you could see me in the mirror, I put up an Eco-Meter photo to conceal that. On the one turn where there's only a glimpse of the silly filming setup attached just above my eyes, I allowed that to be seen. It's good to have a sense humor at it. After all, the content itself is very exciting.

Watch the video carefully. There's lots of detail to observe. Driving exclusively in EV like that is not in any way necessary to achieve outstanding MPG. In fact, when the engine does run, you'll find that switch to HV mode will actually replenish a little bit of EV capacity while at the same time deliver the usual 50 MPG you get from Prius even without a plug.

7 people like this.
  7. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I noticed at the end how you goosed your mileage. :)

8. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    liked to hear the road noise..

9. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish there was sound.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Between the cracked window, my comfotable but noisy jacket, and the waterproof camera housing, there was nothing to actually hear.

11. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do not have my Pip yet, but watching your video is almost as good! Thanks. :cheer2:

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi John,

Did you keep your IV Solar for a winter beater :p I have a Four Solar Plus coming in the end of this month. First Prius for me :)

Mike

13. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    John,
    I would like you to add audio during editing, with you telling us what you were doing and what we should focus on.

Try it.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I'll second that vote [​IMG]

Mike

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nope, the PHV is my combat vehicle now.

Hmm. I'm not sure what else to include beyond the description already provided. Maybe I can try that pop-up feature later, to indicate the hill & traffic influences. Right now though, not a chance... far too busy trying to provide other first-time PHV content.

1 person likes this.
  16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Oh I have some cool music you could play in the video's :p
    http://we0h.us/MP3/LetYourLoveFlow.mp3

Mike :tea:

17. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Protoype PiP moments before EV range runs out:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-QCfCpJeRE"]Test driving prototype Toyota Prius Plug-In with Torque Data - YouTube[/ame]

4 people like this.
  18. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Glad to see you got the Torque overlay working!

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Awesome video done with the Torque app.

20. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, custom PIDs do not work on video Plugin, so no SOC or current data on the video overlay.

I have one more video just finishing uploading to YT.

P.S.: I've returned the PiP today and received the Opel Ampera until Monday. I've already fitted the OBD2 module to the Ampera's OBD2 port :)