1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIAA LED replacement bulbs coming soon!

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by jzchen, Aug 3, 2014.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    These LED replacement bulbs are/will be available from PIAA:

PIAA | Automotive Bulbs: LED

I'm very interested in the Performance LED Fog bulbs. Seem like a very bright replacement bulb, although costly. Wondering about others' opinions?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    More than twice the price of already pricey Triton V3s.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for information about alternatives. I had to search for Triton V3. I found a site, I'm not sure if the right one. Max output from white is 600lm. The PIAAs list 2400 lumens. No comparison in brightness level.

I actually want yellow, and that lists 1800 lumens...

SCH-R530M ?

#3 jzchen, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 2800k LED has a colored capsule around it to change the color output. Probably better to apply a vinyl overlay to the foglight lens and use the white output LED. Heat dissipation will be better without the small colored capsule around the LEDs, as heat will lead to shorter lifespan or even failure. A colored vinyl overlay will likewise cause a higher temperature within the foglight housing, but will be less.

SCH-I535

These would be much cheaper and have an actual cutoff:

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=190946522675&alt=web

You could still apply a colored vinyl overlay to get an amber or yellow color temp.

Yes, they are for the Corolla, but as long as you have the proper grill or shrouds for the Toyota oem foglights, they will fit.

SCH-I535

jzchen likes this.
  5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Since they have active cooling fans, this makes very good sense. I'm going to have to research this vinyl overlay thing....

SCH-R530M ?

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Example of a yellow vinyl overlay over a clear foglight lens:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=_gDfU9u3BYy6oQTsoIDgCQ&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DpTdlyBq6PnM&cd=1&ved=0CBwQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEsAfZuG5jQ7XfZIii1OHCbDqKWWQ

The Toyota foglight lens has a compound curve, so it will be more difficult to overlay. You have to apply the overlay with the housing off the vehicle, and use a hair dryer to heat the film up so it can be gently stretched over the curve of the lens.

SCH-I535

#6 xliderider, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    PIAA says their "LED Performance bulbs have a sharp cut line so glare is minimized and output is directed toward the road..." I agree that Toyota uses practically the same mounting in a lot of models. I was researching the OSRAM LEDriving Fog DRL and one company even put the correct mount on their page to sell because I had asked about it.

Arrgh. I forgot about the curve of the lens. I think I'll have to stick with the yellow bulbs. I noticed that the color is orange on the yellow ones, so maybe orange overlay would be best for those thinking to go with the white bulbs but want yellow output.

Overall since the pricing is for a pair it would be about $150 each. Not too bad if they lasted a real long time.

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

H11 H8 H9 H16 5K MT-G2 2100LM HEADLIGHT FOG LIGHT DRL | 1 PAIR - H11 H8 H9 - LED - Headlights

The VLEDS H11 lamps are 2100 lumens each, 16W, 5000k, 60% lower price point.

#8 Air_Boss, Aug 4, 2014
  9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting read on the Triton v3 LEDs, only 1 yr warranty, and "more focused design'. More focused than what exactly? A halogen bulb? Doubtful.

SCH-I535

12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Improved manufacturing of LED lenses

Polycarbonate lenses represent a current area of research and development. At Bayer’s Technical Service Center in Leverkusen, Germany, it is testing collimator lenses (Fig. 6), typically focusing lenses with free-form surfaces and asymmetrical geometries. One target application is automotive LED headlamps using a single-lens design. Today, LED headlamps are comprised of several separate components that are heavier than polycarbonate-based lenses.

[​IMG]
    FIG. 6.

One downside to injection molding of PC lenses with free-form surfaces is the very long cycle times, sometimes up to 20 minutes, to achieve high optical quality with low stress and high dimensional accuracy. To improve on this approach, the company has developed a multi-layer injection molding process combined with new techniques for dynamic mold-temperature control. The component is gradually assembled in several layers, resulting in shorter cooling and cycle times.
    Multi-layer injection molding can result in improved component quality, lower yellowness index and less transmission loss. There are fewer defects such as shrinkage-related sink marks, for example, because a greater proportion of the shrinkage takes place during the premolding step. In addition, lower injection pressures result in lower internal stresses.

To further optimize the injection-molding process, modeling of the multi-layer process makes it possible to calculate the necessary adjustment of temperature-dependent factors that impact component quality, such as warpage, shrinkage, stresses, and creep behavior. The next step will involve the use of simulation to fully optimize PC component quality.

Conclusions

Advanced polycarbonate materials can bring desirable properties to LED lamp and luminaires, including design flexibility, low weight and UV protection. To date, indoor LED troffers, alternative heat sinks and LED street-light covers have been optimized using these materials.

As PC grades are optimized further for specific applications, increased design flexibility will be brought to the makers of LED replacement lamps and luminaires.

Polycarbonate components simplify LED lamp design (MAGAZINE) - LEDs

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice read, but correct me if I'm wrong, there are no lenses, polycarbonate or otherwise on the Triton v3 LEDs.

14. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That would be incorrect. The fact of the polycarbonate lens fitted to the V3 is why I posted it.

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I only see two LED assemblies on either side of the circuit board, no lenses.

SCH-I535

16. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why did you link to those other lights without the lenses previously then? :confused:

SCH-I535

18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Your point is what, exactly? The OP linked to ridiculously priced PIAA lamps that could be either headlamps or foglamps. V-LEDs offers simply high priced lamps of both types (and then some). You asked about beam forming, I responded.

#18 Air_Boss, Aug 4, 2014
  19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I wish I could say the V3s were special, but somewhere there they still list the lumen spec in the hundreds, not thousand range, that I posted before. That one H11 example was much higher @ 2100lm/more noteworthy.

To me it is all about performance. To squeeze an extra 300lm out of a developing technology like LEDs usually commands extra cost, and sometimes a much higher cost.

Opinions like it is rediculously expensive are welcome. (I appreciate anyone's opinion on price.) As I have gotten older though I have gotten used to paying a premium for that little extra though. Don't be shy. It took how many posts for "rediculously priced" to come out?

I think this may be answered because in the past I didn't outwardly share I was using a Prius c fuse box to retrieve the DRL circuit? I am sorry about that. It was hard finding what vehicle had the specific circuit desired, yet alone a salvage one. I had to order from Oregon I believe, sight unseen. I wanted to wait until I was successful before I let anyone know what they could use, lest I dry out possible sources for me to complete the project. (BTDT with E90 sports seats.)

SCH-R530M ?

20. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The amber V3 turn signal lamps are slightly higher lumen output (430lm) as OEM lamps, and the point of focus of the polycarbonate lens is adjustable +/- 12mm in/out via a screw-lock mechanism in the housing.

Most LED replacements are one quarter or less than OEM luminosity. You would not want to be looking at thousands of leading or oncoming lumens in a turn signal.

By contrast, the 2100lm H11 is designed to be a headlamp/foglamp replacement, where OEM H11 output is on the order of 1600lm.

All that said, I am not impressed with the cutoff or stray light from the V-LEDS H11 as installed in the Prius v H11 foglamp housings. Either the H11 bases's three locating tabs/keys are incorrectly located radially or the optics are compromised by location of the single LED.