1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picked up my Black V AT last night & Murphy struck! :(

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by swich2mac, Jul 25, 2009.

1. swich2mac

swich2mac Go Hard or Go Home!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I picked up my V AT last night from the dealer in Memphis and was on my way back to Nashville happy & elated with my new baby. Low and behold, the Interstate was jammed up with semi's and I quickly approached an object in the road directly in front of me. It looked as though it was remnants from a blown out tire so I thought that I was going to be safe.

Gripping the wheel and holding on tight, I ran over the object, which turned out to be a rather large piece of metal of some sort. Upon hearing the loud "thud" from below the under body of my car, I immediately pulled over in anticipation of a blow out. As it turned it, the rear passenger side tire had a nice slit on the inner sidewall and the lip of the rim was slightly bent as well. :(

After waiting on the side of the Interstate for nearly 1.5 hours, AAA came to change the flat Michelin with the spare "doughnut" in the trunk. By this time it was nearly 11:30pm and I knew that there was no way that I was willing to drive another 2.5 hours back to Nashville at 50mph. My fear was that at this time of night I wasn't willing to entertain the possibility of the "doughnut" blowing out at 2:00am, so I spent the night in Jackson, TN.

After waking up early this morning, calling all Michelin tire dealers from Memphis to Nashville and in between, I quickly realized that the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 was nowhere to be found in stock at any of tire centers that I called. So, a real nice dealership in Jackson, TN recommended that I mount a $70 "over seas" tire that was the same size tire as the Michelin in order to get home safely. In addition, this would give me some additional time to order, receive, and have the new Michelin replacement mounted.

Sooooo, this leaves me to asking the following questions.

1. Where is the best place/best price to order from? Tirerack?

2. Does anyone know where I can obtain a new OEM 17" wheel for my 2010 Prius outside of a Toyota dealership? I am afraid that this baby is going to cost me a pretty penny!

Although I experienced some unforeseen challenges, I truly LOVE the car and it has exceeded my expectations!!!! :)

2. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry to hear about the bad luck :(
    Although I've never used them, I've heard nothing but good things about Tirerack... but I'm not sure if they have the tire you need. Hopefully they do.

I too am curious about the 17" wheel question.
    I will be picking up my Prius IV in about a week or so, and I'm interested in upsizing to the OEM 17" wheels... but will probably wait at least a few months to do so.

Good luck to you...

3. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ouch, sorry to read about your misfortune. TireRack or Discounttire.com are going to be your best bet. Discount Tire has stores in the Nashville area and they will meet TireRack pricing.

4. swich2mac

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. Any idea as to where I can get the 17" wheels? I googled several different combinations and have come up empty! :(

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    File a claim through your insurance company. Even one factory 17" rim is likely more than your comprehensive deductible.

6. swich2mac

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right. However, I'm really not too concerned with the cost right now as I am just trying to find who even has these available.

SG

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes I have used Tire Rack several times and have always been pleased with their service. The wheel, I think, will only be available from Toyota and at a considerable cost. You could try a search on Google for OEM Toyota wheels and look, I checked a couple of the listed sites and they do have Prius wheels but nothing for the 2010.

8. swich2mac

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: I found the tire at tirerack.com for $232 including shipping. I was also able to drop ship the tire to a tire rack recommended installer in my area! One down and one to go....... Now, If I can only find that 17" OEM Wheel.....

9. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ugh...Low-profiles are expensive rubber. Nonetheless, I will most likely end up putting some on my IV later this year.
    Let us know if you find the wheel!

10. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's so discouraging after the excitement of getting your brand new baby! I'm glad nobody got hurt though and hope you solve you're able to get your replacement wheel/tire without a problem.

11. swich2mac

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WHEEL UPDATE: Just in case anyone is wondering.... The cost of the 17" OEM Wheel from Toyota is $455.00! OUCH.....

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, one forum member paid nearly $4,000 to upgrade to the 17" OEM wheels + tires on his II.

13. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you might want to have that wheel refinished. they can take the bend and paint the wheel. it will be cheaper than buying a new one. i have used wheels america before. they don't have a office in tn though.

Wheels America

14. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    definitly try to get the wheel fixed and save it as spare or put a tire on it and use it as a real spare instead of the doughnut spare.

you know you got lot's of bling bling wheels rolling around nashville. therefore, there has to be some wheel repair shops.

15. ridegsxr714

ridegsxr714 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

you do know how much the OEM 17" wheels cost don't you? about $500 a rim, if you are ok with that then go right ahead. just lettin' know.

16. jestoy7

jestoy7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    At that price I would recommend to have the wheel repaired. I have seen wheels in bad shape be repaired for less than $150. Turbax does quality and ends up like oem.

17. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    WOW at $1,000 a set for tires for the 17", the 15" don't look as bad as they used too.

18. Mybrid

Mybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW that sucks! :censored::tape2::tape2::censored:

Glad ya found a tire and a rim, but I got a couple of questions
    1) How did ya blow out the rear and not the front too?
    And have ya inspected the front?
    2) Have ya looked or had the underside inspected?
    Would be bumer to have some other damage and find out about it later.
    Hope everything comes together Ok!

Enjoy as Always!
    :wave::crutch::biggrin1:

19. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's only if you need a tire to replace a damaged OEM tire such as the OP has to buy. If you are replacing all 4 you can get better tires for a lot less. i.e. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S $163, Yokohama Advan S.4. $162, or Yokohama Avid W4S $98 at Tire Rack plus shipping and installation. There are a couple of dozen more by different manufacturers in that price range. Costco also has the Michelins for about the same price. I think they (Michelin Pilots) are one of the best all season tires available, I have a set on my BMW and they are definately the best, of 3 sets, I have had on that car.

For reasons I don't fully understand a lot (but not all) OEM tires are not available at tire dealers and when you order them they cost a fortune.

20. swich2mac

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I missed the front as I ran over the object head on. The back tire got hit when the object "clipped" the side wall and the rim. It didn't actually hit the area with tread.

I have not had a chance to thoroughly inspect the underbody but will do so when my replacement tire and rim arrive. I am going to have the tire center put the car up on the rack so I can take a good look at it! Wish me luck! ;)