1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Picking it up today!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Amathelia, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Amathelia

Amathelia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi!!!

I'm a BRAND NEW Prius girl in the northeast. I pick it up tonight. I commute 150 miles per day and I'm VERY excited to try out the fuel savings!!! I'm coming off a 2008 Dodge Caliber. We bought used to make 100% sure we love it before we go out and spend the money on a new one. My husband, that commutes significantly less, will take this one after I test her out for a year. After over a year of research he knows this is the car for us but I'm so nervous of a brand and car type switch. It's a 2010 Prius II. I've only ever owned Dodge. Before the caliber I drove a Ram. My husband jokes I've slowly been working towards consuming less fuel!!

My biggest question is about the winter months. What do I need to know??? Is it ok to still start the car early in the morning and let it run for 15-20 minutes to heat up? How am I going to be with the next snow storm? Any other tips/suggestions to a new owner?

I'm so glad I found this site. My dealer is amazing but I prefer to speak with people with experience with the car!!

Burna J likes this.
  2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Welcome to Prius Chat. You need not to worry about the car to much.
    If the vehicle is a certified Toyota one, be assure to no problems ahead.
    Usually it takes about 5 to 8 minutes maximum to reach a comfortable cabin temperature, but comfort levels changes from person to person. I'm in Long Island NY and we had and still have very low temperatures lately early in the morning (5 and 15 degrees are common).
    Make sure to warm up the vehicle from stone cold today before picking-it-up and see how well it performs.
    Good luck and keep us inform

3. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I live in so. Cal so I really am the last Person to ask about cold weather starts lol, Just wanted To to say "welcome"

Amathelia likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my opinion, The Prius really demands good snow/ice tires to just be "normal" in the winter.
    It's just not going to be the best extreme conditions vehicle.

Also you can start it and Pre-Warm it with all the caveats you would apply to any vehicle.
    However even with a Prius, the longer it sits without moving the bigger the impact of MPG for that tank.

5. Amathelia

Amathelia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It has been negative here is the mornings so warming up the car is something I really wanted to make sure was ok. I read it was but again if someone who owns the cars hasn't had an issue that makes me feel better. I was paranoid about draining the battery on it.

When the storms are really bad (over 4") I usually take the train into work but the train system here is not doing well to say the least so I find myself driving in lately in stronger storms than I usually do. For snow tires is there a 'must have' brand?

I also just looked at the weather tech floor mats. I have two little kids that swet glue and a big dog so I was thinking of getting these to keep the car clean rather than scrubbing the interior monthly like I've been doing. Anyone purchase these? Are they worth the price tag or is there something better?

6. Amathelia

Amathelia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It got up to 19 here today and it feels warm lol!

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the first things I bought for my Prius was Weathertech digital fit floor liners.

I hate to review them, because they are really well liked by most.

My experience with the Light Gray color is while offering fantastic protection, they visibly show every scratch, scuff and every speck of dirt. Which means to keep them looking good, I'm cleaning them a lot.

I really just have to say, if I had it to do over? I think I'd buy the Husky Mats...or a mat made of a more rubber like substance. My experience with those types of "Mats" as opposed to liners is that they visibly hide dirt better, and don't scuff.

I don't know, perhaps the "Black" weathertech liners would be more visibly resistant to showing scuffs and dirt?

But I would just say, the lighter gray colored "liners" which are made of a plastic/vinyl like substance, show dirt very easily, can become scuffed, which also is visible.

8. EddieDesigns

EddieDesigns Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome, Amathelia!! Northeast where?

Like mrbigh, it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes to come to full warmth in the cabin of Darth Prudence (my Prius), but usually closer to the 5 minute end of the spectrum…I am usually never that patient, so, I gauge it this way: it takes me 5 minutes to get from my driveway to the I-270/Roberts Rd. interchange, and by the time I get there, more often than not, my car is comfortable in the cabin.

can't. wait. for. spring!!!!!

take pictures of your car and post them when you can!!

retired4999 likes this.
  9. EddieDesigns

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, and as far as a learning curve, I had to really really really really (REALLY!!) learn how to not put my foot down (at least not so often), so to speak…like anything else subjective, your results may vary :D

10. Amathelia

Amathelia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We are down by the Cape in Massachusetts. I work in Cambridge so it's a bit of a commute to say the least lol. I am 1.5 hrs from sliding behind the wheel :)

11. EddieDesigns

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh you poor girl! This has not been the most forgiving winter for all y'all :giggle:

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! if you have to be at work, no matter the storm, get a good set of snow tyres.

13. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    WeatherTech floor mats are definitely worth the money.

14. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius has a system that uses exhaust heat to warm up the engine coolant. This speeds up the warm up cycle. You can start it and let it warm up (it will charge up the battery, get up to an operating temperature and then it will turn the engine off). The best way from both a gas mileage standpoint and impact on the vehicle is to start it, let it run for a minute and drive it.

Within about 5 minutes you will get some useable heat. In 10 minutes you will be toasty. I live in upstate NY not far from the Canadian border and we have our share of cold and Great Lake snow.

15. Dave14Prius

Dave14Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to Priuschat. Black weather tech are great in my Prius. I would never let a car warm up 15-20 minutes, due to the hit on fuel economy. You did get the Prius to save gas, didn't you. Get in car, start it up and slowly drive away. It will be warm very soon.Just my opinion. Congrats on a great car and enjoy!

Okinawa likes this.
  16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh geez a true Yankee. Welcome to Prius Chat!

17. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'd put An engine block heater on that new prius and search the site for grille blocking. I'm in Michigan and that's all I need. Car is warm when I start it and the gen3 has nice hot heat.

SageBrush likes this.
  18. Amathelia

Amathelia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It warmed up in minutes this morning! It is so great!!! Driving will take some getting used to because I don't feel like I know where the front of the car is lol. Thanks for the tips on the mats!

Any tips on where to get a copy of the owners manual?

When your on battery power and you slow to a stop does the car make a sound? It's like a powering down noise and it seems like it should be like that but I just want to be sure!!

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  19. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are two batteries in the Prius, a traditional 12V and a high voltage traction battery used by the drive train. You can run down the 12V by leaving your lights on or radio in accessory mode but you cannot run down the traction battery, the car will maintain the charge. The only way you can run down the traction battery would be to leave the car in neutral (like going through a long automatic car wash with the A/C on).

If you have a dog in the car often, over time you may have a problem with hair getting into the traction battery cooling fan.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you can get an o/m online. yes, it does make a sound from the inverter or motor generator because you're charging the battery.