1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pink Crust Build up on Inverter coolant drain Plug?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Greg Kaiser, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Greg Kaiser

Greg Kaiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi

I replaced my inverter coolant 4 months ago and have noticed a crusty pink build up on the drain plug it drips once a week Tried to tighten I used a new alluminum washer when drained
    How do I stop this small amount of annoying leakage

Thanks prius inverter drain plug.jpg

Greg

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Greg,

The tightening torque is 29 ft.-lb. If that is correct then you might want to remove the drain plug and install another washer.

3. zak

zak New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I'm having the same issue and the dealer told me in order to replace the drain plug they need to flush invertor and engine coolant.

Replacing drain plug costs $16 and flushing engine/invertor coolant costs $300.

Can't they just replace the drain plug without flushing the coolant?

Thank you

4. zak

zak New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually,

They also found water pump leak and suggested replacing it.

This may be why they added engine coolant flush (additional cost?).

Thank you

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Can't they just replace the drain plug without flushing the coolant?"
    Yes. The inverter coolant drain plug can be removed, a new washer added, and the plug replaced.
    "They also found water pump leak and suggested replacing it."
    If you are referring to the engine coolant pump, I suggest that you visit the car and ask to be shown the leak. If it is minor, you can defer that repair.

Also, there is no need to "flush" the coolant. Drain and replace is sufficient.

zak likes this.
  6. zak

zak New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you Patrick for your quick reply.

I called the dealer and they insisted engine / invertor coolant needs to be flushed ($300) when invertor drain plug ($16) and engine coolant pump ($400) are replaced.

They also quoted drive belt replacement for $110. I thought if they replace water pump they have to remove the belt anyway.

I don't think the dealer quote is reasonable. Should I look for local mechanics? Can they handle hybrid vehicle like Prius?

Thank you

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "I thought if they replace water pump they have to remove the belt anyway."
    You are correct, and the incremental charge therefore should only be the price of the serpentine drive belt which is around $20.

"Should I look for local mechanics? Can they handle hybrid vehicle like Prius?"
    Yes, you should look for an independent servicer who has been trained on Toyota hybrids. Lacking that training, a mechanic is not likely to do a good job with the engine coolant drain/replace.

zak likes this.
  8. zak

zak New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again, Patrick!

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does your water pump look like this? If so, definitely change. LINK
    I'm still on original water pump (2007 @ 123,000 miles).

If you have a mechanical inkling (or current ability), already have a hydraulic floor jack, and jack stands, buy the tools to allow you to change your two coolant loops (ICE and inverter) for a little more than the one time change price of $300.

Matco AirLift MCR102A ($207.10 + tax + ship) [requires adapters, metal body (aluminum?), overflow tube]
    AST FZ148 adapter [inverter tank] ($38, Amazon)
    AST FZ138 adapter [I believe ICE tank] ($43, Amazon)
    OR Matco AirLift MCR102U ($193.05 + tax + ship) [no adapters needed; metal body (aluminum?), overflow tube]
    OR AirLift2 AC550500 ($165.25 + tax + ship) [no adapters, plastic body, NO overflow tube]

Try harborfreight and use the 20% or 25% off coupon (mailer, ads in Motor Trend, Car and Driver), for these items:
    Air compressor (larger/more expensive, more CFM output of air): $60, $63, $120, $170, and beyond
    Air compressor hose ~ $9 (for 25 foot length, 3/8inch diameter)
    Air compressor coupler kit ~$3 or $7 ("automotive" set)
    Useful to have: Pistol grip blow gun $3

Video of Carolyn, from Luscious Garage, refilling both coolant loops on a Gen 2 Prius, with the AirLift2 AC550500.
    If you watch carefully, she places the rag over the exhaust portion of the tool when purging air from a cooling loop (ICE or inverter). The rag is needed so droplets of coolant don't splatter everywhere when air is being purged to create the vacuum. The overflow tube on the MCR102A and MCR102U allows you to direct overflow into a waste container (ie milk jug, 2L soda bottle). The vacuum that's been created allows for the big container of coolant to be reintroduced into the coolant loop (ICE or inverter) without any air, eliminating the bleed process. AC550500 and MCR102U require you to hold the tool in place when purging and refilling; movement may break the vacuum seal introducing unwanted air.

Artsautomotive is pictured using the Matco AirLift MCR102A (adapters required). If have this tool.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no need to spend $300+ on an air compressor and the AirLift just for this particular job. The 2G inverter coolant loop is very easy to purge air out without any special tools. The 2G engine coolant loop isn't too hard to get air out if you use a Lisle funnel (which costs <$30) and follow my trick of shorting the CHRS relay contact terminals to force the coolant heat recovery system pump to run. I've recently posted on this.

Now, if you are a professional who plans to work on Toyota hybrids daily, then I can understand the point of acquiring those tools so that each job can be completed in the minimum amount of time.

11. zak

zak New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks guys for the tips! I'm not sure if I can do it myself, but I just remembered I added extra coolant (from Walmart, non-Toyota genuine coolant) this winter. I couldn't see the min/max lines very well and I might've overfilled the coolant reservoir. Can this cause both engine and invertor coolant leak? My Prius has been maintenance free for years, and now I see these two issues at the same time all the sudden after I tried to fill the coolant by myself using aftermarket coolant.

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Agreed. Most cost effective is the way you and others did it.

If I only had the Prius, I would have done it the more involved way for sure. No more bleeding on the four cars I work on, was well worth if for me. Especially since I already had an air compressor and necessary accessories from past home improvement projects.

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Can this cause both engine and invertor coolant leak?"

Probably not. The fact that you had to add coolant in the first place points to an existing cooling system leak.

14. zak

zak New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have a point but to be honest it was hard to see the fluid level for some reason back then.

I just found this

Inverter Coolant | PriusChat

The reason why I think this could be a reason is, engine coolant pump and inverter drain plug failed at the same time (and they are both connected to the coolant reservoir). I think the probability for two different components to fail at the same time (within a few months) would be really low.