1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP & MPG Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ukr2, Apr 5, 2012.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking of which, holy crap Jim, did you coast into the gas station? 10.6 gallons?!?!? I thought the Prius only had a 10.9 gal gas tank.

iPad ? HD

lensovet likes this.
  2. JimPHL

JimPHL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bingo, I missed the gas station by 5 miles! Ran it out of gas, pulled off the highway, and called Toyota roadside assist. Everything turned out OK. More to come.

lensovet likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks. i hate everything about winter except my commute. i hardly go anywhere beyond 10-12 miles round trip and i can plug in at work. (disclaimer: i was in florida for a month with my wife and her hycam):p

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm glad you lived to tell the tale! can't wait to hear it.:D

5. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,
    I plan on joining/updating this spreadsheet with all my stuff as soon as I get it in a little less than two weeks. As I'm driving it back I will need to log a bunch of the data at fillups. So everything on that first page of the spreadsheet is what I need to log, correct?

6. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick question about the spreadsheet:

On Miles/kWh why did you multiply kWh by 1.15?

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't have a kwh meter, and the car only reports kwh used. unfortunately, there are charging losses between the wall and the battery. .15 represents an estimate based on peoples actual measurements. i don't think there is a consensus as to an exact number.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you can get all the info for the required columns from your display. you want to record everything carefully before resetting anything. and you want to decide beforehand how your going to treat trip a and b, as well as evdr 1 and 2. unfortunately, you have your trip, your tank and lifetime, but only two options, so you have to decide which two you want to record.

9. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    And remember you can lose all the display numbers if your 12 v battery drains or is disconnected. So it's best NOT to use the display for Lifetime data. Record each fillup, then reset the trips.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and write everything down fefore you go in for service, in case they reset it.:cool:

11. JimPHL

JimPHL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bisco, and gang,
    I've been so busy that I haven't been able to relate the story, but will when I get 15 minutes of free time.

Last tank was heavy highway, and the numbers reflect this. But, you can't beat 56 MPG with 90% highway driving, mostly all with the air conditioning blowing away. It has been raining or in the 80s & 90s, and I've been driving with passengers, who are intolerant of sacrificing comfort for MPGs!

I updated the Google doc and my log is attached. Happy reading. Will be back to tell my tale asap.

Attached Files:

12. JimPHL

JimPHL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

OK, finally a few minutes to retell the story.

Was running about 40% EV on this tank, weather was warming up nicely, and the miles just kept adding up. It was MPG nirvana. So, I had the brilliant idea of stretching the tank to 900 miles, a personal best. For those of you laughing, your are thinking, and rightfully so...what's the point of a high mileage tank if it is largely a result of EV miles? There isn't. I now get it!

I was on my way to the Jersey shore and started out on a blinking pip that already has some miles on it. I passed a gazillion gas stations, then jumped on the expressway. There is only one station along its 44 mile length, and...I passed right by it. Five miles later the gasoline engine shuts down, the car slows to about 40 mph and I see the EV light come on. Holy crap, I just ran this thing out of gas! The dash starts to light up like a Christmas Tree.

I pull off to slow down enough to figure out how many bars I have of electric, and how fast they are dropping, as I know from the good folks at this forum who have 'gone before me', that you don't want to drain the battery! I proceeded to drive a few tenths of a mile to the next exit and pulled way off the road as soon as I could, maybe another tenth of a mile. I knew I wasn't going to make it to a station, so I shut her down, and called Toyota's roadside assistance. They said x minutes (I think it was 45) and the truck showed up right on time. Way to go. They are now on speed dial :)

Driver said he had two gallons, and I had just read on Prius Chat (what else was I going to do for 45 minutes?) that the car needs three gallons to reset. He put it in and she turned right over. Dodged that bullet. No tow! I paid the $10 gas fee, gave the guy a $20, and we parted company.

Epilogue...I was with my son when I ran out of gas, and on my way to my parent's house, so there was no keeping this one a secret. A few weeks later, I'm with my wife, on the same highway, and the blinking pip comes on and the car beeps. Normal, right? My wife turned to me with huge eyes and a shocked look, as she thought I ran it out of gas again :) I guess I deserved that reaction. Guess what I did? I debated running it for another 50 miles, but immediately pulled off the next exit and tanked up. Am I cured? Depends on who is with me!

13. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Very Funny Jim.

I ran out of gas the 1st week with my 2007 Prius. My wife still retells the story 6 years later, whenever I tell others how the PIP works.

lensovet likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great story! i think it's jimbo who says he fills up at three different points. blinking pip when he's alone, two pips when his wife is with him and half a tank if his mother in law is in the car.:p

JimPHL and lensovet like this.
  15. exit74PiP

exit74PiP New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi All!

Since I have no interest in messing up the Google Docs sheet (I'm a bit of a technological imbecile) and am still searching for all of the info the car gives you....

503 miles - 7.08 gallons - 71.04 mpg
    27% EV (143 miles) - 38kW

Not bad for the very first fill up. The EV% will increase dramatically in a few weeks, since it will be pressed into normal commuting duties. R/T commute is 10 miles :)

On the flip side, driving my Focus ST after the Prius has resulted in a massive improvement in the MPG's of that car as well! The HSI screen really must help adjust your right foot.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! it's a blast, isn't it?(y)

17. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Exit74Pip,

I added your numbers to the spreadsheet.
    Did you remember to record the HSI Cons. MPG, Gal Used and Gal Saved from the Displays?
    Do you have a Kill-A-Watt to measure your kWh? If not, ok.

And don't hesitate to add your numbers to the spreadsheet. Just remember to add to the tab named Enter Data Here.

Thanks,
    Ken Reasoner

18. exit74PiP

exit74PiP New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Ken.

I'll get all of the info on the next fill up, which probably won't be for a few weeks :)

19. JimPHL

JimPHL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ken
    I've updated my stats. Thanks for keeping this up for us.

PC-ers
    I've attached my spreadsheet, this time in Excel. Just a couple observations; maintaining nice HV MPGs even with heavy use of air conditioning, and great EV MPGEs as I stayed on surface streets, regenerated a lot of electrons with braking and the temps are in the 80s. This is getting very predictable, in very good ways!

Cheers
    Jim

Attached Files:

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done jim!(y)

JimPHL likes this.