1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP & MPG Spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ukr2, Apr 5, 2012.

1. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ......what.......

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not you, stackcheese!:cool:

3. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oops.......:confused:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    p/k, i hope you're not getting 31 mpg's!:eek:

5. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It' not a Corollah:p

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly. i wonder where stackcheese ran off to?

7. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prob on a lonnnnnngggg trip

8. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My EV since fill up is now at 103.5.......so.......125-103.5=21.5 miles to go b4 ICE kicks in

9. stackcheese

stackcheese Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh sorry guys uhm not sure what you guys are looking for, but as far as EV vs HV

its about 20/80
    20 ev, and 80 hv, ive been doing a fairly lot of highway driving.
    after watching some vidoes i dont believe my driving was optimal/hyper miling, as i normally go at a steady pace and graduatly go up rather then go to a quick speed and then gradually slow down.

Usually i eat up all the ev every trip i go out on, and now think i should optimize EV situation and optimize HV situations

IE going onto a freeway i should probably be immedietly switch to HV as the EV resourceses aren't really optimal in these conditions.

Ive also been trying a new route where i can go a little bit slower, the problem is my last 3 miles home is across this fairly large up hill climb that gradually goes up, so instead of sticking to the larger street i've been going a little bit further but less traffic/slower speeds.

Let me know if you guys want to see some screen shots for my cons and mpg

The car hasnt really been broken in (300/400 miles) so hopefully things get better, but if anyone has any insight on how to get better miles on my way home it would be much appreciated.

Also another quesiton while leaving my home i go on this rather large decline, is it best to use the coasting tech or is it better to just leave it in neutral? I notice while in netural the car doesn't charge the battery while breaking, but it also doesnt pull anything form the EV or HV. Howevering when i put it in neutral i really don't need to accelerate/use any power as the weight of the car pushes it forward.
    When i'm in drive mode the car takes needs me to push on the accel alittle otherwise it will slow down and start to charge a bit.

also i should probably sign up for FUELLY?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks stack, the ev/hv ratio is definitely hurting your mpg's as are the hills you're describing. keep searching pip threads for driving advice. not sure about the neutral thing, i'm a flatlander. maybe someone else will chime in. if you're getting 60 mpg's now, on a trip where you use up your full ev charge and the balance is hv, i would think you could get it up quite a bit higher using proper techniques. check out john1701's website for driving tips. can you keep your freeway speeds down? that is usually a big mpg killer as well. when you learn where you want to switch from ev to hv, make sure you hit the button 1-4 minutes before you get there depending on outside temp, so the engine will be warmed up when you need it. are you using eco mode and keeping a/c as low as possible? by low, i mean low cooling, not low temp.:)

11. stackcheese

stackcheese Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no not at all in regards to the A/C ... maybe a little spoiled, but this CA heat is unbearable so the A/C is usually going (usually one or two bars on the fan and the setting to low with the air circulating in side rather then pulling air from the outside)

yes i've been using ECO mode when trying to minimize the EV/HV resources as i find it easier to control the power/resource guage

I'm still trying to get comfortable driving on the freeway as yes i want to have decent MPGs but i also don't want to be the guy holding up traffic. I try to stick on the right/slowest lane. Try to get behind big slow trucks and keep pace with them. But its really difficult for me to drive on the freeway at 50/60 mph; either i lose patience, or i realize im blocking slowing down traffic

I actually do not remember what i normally drive on the freeway anymore as yes i've been driving a bit slower but even when im going at 70/80 mph there always seems to be someone right on my nice person =(

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    low on the temp gauge is least efficient. try 'auto' and slowly raise your temp until it's too warm then drop back a degree or two.

13. Ayerscreek

Ayerscreek New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    MPG Spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreads heet/ccc?key=0AptkktKEhdz9dGF0WWdUZEpqWWdJOGhDWlFsWDBUdGc#gid=10[/quote]

Being a newbie, I realized too late I didn't have all the info I needed to fill out the spreadsheet after my first fill up. Then I missed the boat by not resetting the EV/HV ratio display so perhaps I'll be able to enter stats after my3rd fillup. But in the meantime, I put in guestimates and then started playing around with the spreadsheet so that I could compare how I was doing with my previous 4-wheeled love, a silver Subaru Forester. Though a love, I only got 25 mpg :( no matter how hard I tried. Amazingly, I'm saving almost $130 a month! I'll continue to work on the spreadsheet and perhaps if whoever made the first one is interested in my modifications they can work on it to publish it for anyone else interested. I've added columns for changing fuel prices, kwh, and yearly costs of running as well.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    to be honest, i don't understand all the columns and i'm not sure which ones i'm supposed to fill in and which calculate automatically.

15. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just shaded all the formula's that are calculated automatically, you should try to fill in all the "white/empty"cells

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, so the yellow in the middle and all the green on the right fill in automatically? what if i put in a figure, will it change?

17. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, and yes, though what fields in shading change depend on what white fields you fill in, e.g. changing miles impacts some fileds, while changing the HV miles or kWh impacts others.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    think you drin, i think i have it. next time i fill up, i'll just do the white fields and see what happens.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can anyone tell me what order the spreadsheet is in? it doesn't seem to be by date?

20. drinnovation

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems to se sorted by raw MPG..

I updated the comment at the top and resorted by date..