1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

PIP trailer wiring different from other GenIII?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by StevoB, Feb 27, 2015.

1. StevoB

StevoB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a 2013 PIP and plan to use a small utility trailer occasionally. I can probably get away without the lights, but figure I might as well hook them up if I can.

Curt makes a plug-n-play brains-optional kit for Prii 2004-2015: CURT Manufacturing - CURT T-Connector #56147 . When I tell their site (or e-trailers, or Amazon) that I have a 2013 plug-in, it shows as incompatible.

Anybody use this, or know anything about the rear light wiring to be different for PIP?

Thanks.

2. StevoB

StevoB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did get a response from Curt:

There are two reasons why we have no recommendations at this time. The first has been availability to have a vehicle to test fit on. The second is the wire size on most plugin cars is very fine and amperage demands are very specific. With the introduction of a new draw this can adversely affect performance of other systems.

If you wuz me would you get it anyway?

3. StevoB

StevoB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    More info from Curt for the sake of anyone looking into this in the future:

I just talked with our electrical group and that plug does have its own plug design. The harnesses we have will not work.

So back to the standard crimp job, which really isn't so hard.

I sure hope this doesn't make the RelaxCabin harder to wire on the PIP.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm interested in where you're going with this. i have been considering a small utility trailer to haul leaves to recycling. what are you using? hard to believe a couple brake/tail lights are going to matter.

5. StevoB

StevoB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Pretty much the same as you, Bisco - brush and the like on a 4x8 aluminum trailer. The trailer has lights so I'm inclined to use them. I won't be shy about hauling something major for an hour or so at low speeds, or carrying a load of firewood a few miles.

I've been known to tow a little with a Geo Metro and a lot (3 heavy canoes and all the gear, long distance) on the same trailer with a Vibe (Matrix). I intend to go easier on the Prius.

I do plan to get a cargo carrier to haul bulky/light stuff on longer trips. But that's off the trailer light topic.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you couldn't get away without lights around here. are you just going to tap into the tail light wiring and run it out the bottom somehow?

7. StevoB

StevoB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I usually just run the flat 4-wire out under the hatch when in use. I put lots of duct tape on the wear area. If I see a place to push it out the bottom I might do that, but I'm not going to cut a hole for it.

Apparently even with standard Prius you can't just tap directly. You need an electronic controller as in the above kit or this one: CURT Manufacturing - CURT Tail Light Converter #59187

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks! good idea under the hatch. can i ask what specific trailer you bought, or is it just something you've had a long time? will you attempt all ev, or only hybrid running?

9. StevoB

StevoB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think it's a Loadmaster, but there are tons of different makes chained to dealers' lightpoles all over this area.. We've had it at least 15 years. Aluminum obviously helps keep the weight down. As for EV or hybrid, I'm assuming the car will be preferring some engine use but I honestly don't know it too well yet.

bisco likes this.
  10. StevoB

StevoB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The SportsRig certainly caught my eye for lightness and versatility, though I don't have the budget. Easy enough to make up some kind of utility deck, though it would ride kind of high.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice looking unit, but probably more than i need for hauling leaves.:p

12. PeterHaas

PeterHaas Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The standard size Prius has three different connector families with which a company, such as Curt, must deal with.

The PiP is certainly different, as is, I believe, the v.

The c uses the same connector family as the v, but the "wire list" (i.e, the interconnections) is different.

So, with all of these challenges, it is perhaps no wonder that Curt, and perhaps others, are "choosing their battles" carefully, and are sticking with the Prius hatchback, and are only begrudgingly looking at the v and c (apparently in that order), and are leaving the PiP for last.

Looks like a "business decision" to me.

#12 PeterHaas, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Redpoint5 likes this.
  13. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    As long as the connectors match, you can usually just swap pins on an existing kit to get everything working.

Prius Trailer Wiring

bisco likes this.
  14. PeterHaas

PeterHaas Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes ... and a very good "how to", too.

The way Curt, and perhaps others, designs their T-connectors, the white leads are simply passed-through the T-connectors and the colored leads are "taps" into the various Prius lighting circuits.

Usually one side has a single "tap", while the other side has three "taps".

The "tapped" circuits go off to the control box where the circuits are sensed at very low current, and thereafter control +12 volts and ground at considerably higher current, thereby placing almost no load on the Prius circuits themselves. This is a significant advantage of the T-connector concept.

The appropriate logic is provided to convert the various Prius circuits to a generic 4-position trailer circuit.

Toyota is using three completely different connector families for its rear lighting circuits, and the method described in the link is not necessarily applicable to other connector families.

#14 PeterHaas, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    roflwaffle and bisco like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe the new tgna will solve that going down the road.

16. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm thinking about installing a hitch to haul bikes and occasionally a jetski, and I'll need lights for the trailer. Has anyone come up with a T harness that will work on the PiP without splicing?

My plan is to forgo the controller box and just power LED lights off the existing Prius circuits. This should keep cost and complexity down.

17. PeterHaas

PeterHaas Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A major problem with that strategy, although Curt and others do offer such "direct" kits, is the wire gauge of the Prius lights is very small (possibly as small as 22 ga.), whereas the wire gauge of Curt (and other) "direct" kits is comparatively large (possibly as large as 16 ga.).

At least with a proper T-connector, you are not placing extra stress on the very small Prius wiring harnesses.

That, plus a proper T-connector has an isolation function which thereby makes the connection "indirect".

18. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just measured the LED lights I have at 80 mA each for continuous on, and 340 mA for brake. That shouldn't put much stress on the Prius wiring. It won't even know I added anything.

19. PeterHaas

PeterHaas Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The issue is not the current but the significant differences in wire gauge (AWG), and which can and will place excessive stress on the OEM wiring.

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I made up my own system for the gen2 Prius using 4 Omeron 12v relays one for each, side lights, stop, and, indicators left and, right. The relays draw only 10 ma extra from each circuit, and have there own fly back diodes built in. The relay switching contacts are fed from the 12 volt battery that is conveniently in the rear via a 10 amp fuse.
    The relays are fitted in a small plastic box behind the carpeting covering the drivers rear light (UK). The size of the relays (each) is about 1x1x1/2 inch, so the 4 relays stacked measure 1x1x2 inches. The contacts are rated at 10 amps at 30 VDC. This system also has the advantage of not altering the indicator flash rate so no need to fit a special flasher relay.

John.

#20 Britprius, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015