1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Planing CanView and BMS+ conversion with lithium

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Mr-plugin, Oct 27, 2011.

1. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Plugin,

I have received some info from Dimitri that is relevant

I really like PIS design, I have over 10,000 miles with it and its working great. Their latest 4kWh kit is a great step in filling a market void for cost conscious customers. They use 76 cells as it seems to be ideal number to take most advantage of plugin pack, taking voltage sag into account. Since A123 cells probably sag less, that explains lesser count, but in my opinion 70 is too low.

Food for thought. If 70 cells does not do it you can always add more cells later on.

2. planetaire

planetaire Plug in 20 kWh 85 km/h or > 208km range

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is not a opinion, this is what i use every day: 70 A123 is a good cell number.

If using a buck dc-dc converter you can have more cells.
    If using other cells with lower voltage also.

If you remove nimh, like peef done, you can use 72 A123 cells.

3. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep time will tell. I guess that is how they are getting the 10KW 243v and using 40AH cells. Picked the cells up this afternoon. I wonder if the 10kw kit still fits under the rear floor without raising it a little? I would like to avoid having the cells right up against the back panel of the car in case of a accident. Does anyone use small fuses at the batteries for the bms wires. I think with all the wires It would be a good idea. I plan on using something like this 5x Radial Leaded PTC Resettable Fuse 1.85A 60V , MultiFuse PolySwitch | eBay You can get them cheep in bulk.

4. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi PLug-in,

Are you thinking of using some sort of hold down brackets for your battery cells. The last thing you want are batteries flying out the windows in an accident.

5. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  6. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    As requested the Ebay listing for 70 cells of A123 20AH pouch cells for anybody interested in doing the BMSplus 4KWH PHEV conversion. Only $US1605 with free shipping.

70P A123 20ah Batteries | eBay

7. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not been so lucky. Xueming has informed me that DHL and UPS have rejected the package and returned it to him. Wonder why? 4kwh of cells are a bit over the limit. He is still trying to find a way to send me the package.

8. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is weight can he not just split them up?
    Yes I am lucky to have Lithium storage here in town.
    Yes I am going to have the the Batteries held down. Lithium storage has end plates and will help help me band them together to keep them compressed also. I just need to figure out the configuration. I am leaning toward leaving them up right and raising the back floor up a little. I do not think it will be to noticeable if I do it right.

9. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know why. He may have to send them by boat for such a large quantity or split them up into many parcels for air.

10. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I just received my 70 x A123 20AH pouch cells today. They were well packed. Each cell was totally sealed inside what appears to be an anti-static bag. I will be using five complete miniBMS slave boards (16 cells) with a seperate head end control board. Each slave board has a small soldered jumper to modify to 14 cell voltage protection. I still have the ability to increase my slave boards to 16 cell voltage protection should I decide later to increase the size of my battery pack. Thanks to Dimitri who gave me a good deal below the normal price had I gone through the website.
    I am still waiting on delivery of my Elcon PFC charger as they inform me they are still configuring the charger to my battery pack specs.

Attached Files:

11. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool! How are you going to connect the tabs together?

12. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There is still enough tab length which can be used (12mm x 46mm) once the plastic/nylon is removed and metal tabs are exposed using a electric wire wheel - see photo. Then I can connect positive to negative tab using only metal plate clamps with nuts and bolts (no cable) similar to if not the same as those used in the Enginer RFE packs. This reduces battery pack voltage drop at 80 amps discharge. Each cell is connected back to back so positive connects to negative and so on. I will just run one BMS wire from each link. Then I can use plastic insulation sheets between each cell for isolation.

Attached Files:

13. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So far my project costs have been:

70 x A123 battery cells - US$1660 including delivery
    miniBMS - US$875 plus US$40 delivery
    EV display unit - US$236 including delivery
    BMSplus PCB only- CA$199 plus CA$40 delivery
    Elcon 1500 HF/PFC 240V charger US$340 plus AU$104 delivery
    16mm2 cable TBA
    12 x 75amp anderson plugs TBA
    2 x 50amp anderson plugs TBA
    100amp 12V contactor TBA
    5 x PVC battery pack containers
    with clear lid TBA
    HRC service fuse holder TBA
    and 100A fuse TBA

14. planetaire

planetaire Plug in 20 kWh 85 km/h or > 208km range

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can have a look here

2 people like this.
  15. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Planetaire,

Thanks for the info. So each cell envelope is made of three layers - plastic/aluminum/plastic.

So I need to keep each cell well isolated so that the envelope of each cell cannot touch any tab or any metal plate or part connected thereto.

And also install a 1-2mm metal plate in-between tabs so that the cell envelope cannot touch the envelope of another cell.

So keeping creepage distances and clearances and insulation resistance high between tabs and cell envelope and between each cell envelope is important.

Your info is great.

I am planning on making up a stainless steel gig at work to cover the cell and just expose the tab section where I want to remove plastic using a electric wire wheel.

1 person likes this.
  16. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in the middle of building the battery tray. I am making the tray lift up to get to the spare tire:). I have been waiting for the gas springs to assist lifting up the pack. I also increased the cell count to 72 cells. mostly because the battery tray would have been uneven and there is room for 2 more cells. The pack is 18 cells wide and 4 deep. I ordered a PFC 2500 charger from Elcon. It should be here next week. I am balancing all the cells in paralell while I wait for the other items. John, do you have some celllogs you modified? If so what did you use to solder the bridge? My first attempt did not go so well...I ended up getting solder on the resistor right next to d5 and when I tried to remove it I lost that stupid resistor. Luckily the resistor has a number on it. The new resistor showed up today in the mail. I will take another crack at it tomorrow. I will try to get some pics this weekend.

1 person likes this.
  17. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I used a single strand of copper wire from a flexible multi stranded copper cable to do the solder bridge. I used a magnifying table lamp I bought from Officeworks. You need a really small pointed soldering iron and a steady hand. It may help if you use a temperature controlled soldering iron set to 300deg C or lower so you do not unsolder other MSD parts.

See details at this link

Enginer PHEV automatic over/under voltage protection | PriusChat

Also more detail and pictures at Enginer forum at this link

Login

Attached Files:

18. Mr-plugin

Mr-plugin Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks John, I was able to get R29 solder back on and the jumper installed. took it to the My splitter in my Enginer kit and everything appears to be working I took a small log and tried to down load it and Powers up but get a ERR CELL VOLT. I see Dan said you can not power the cell log from the USB cord is that what happened to you? Can you still get any files from it? I see there are other people that say to hook up the usb to the celllog while it is still hooked to the 9pin cable, does this work?

1 person likes this.
  19. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a long time ago so I cannot recollect much. I guess you should be able to download the log file from the CellLog8S whilst the CellLog8S is still plugged into the 9pin battery cells plug.

20. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I was lucky enough to find the perfect tool to expose the A123 tabs. It is a small handheld pneumatic linisher I have at my workplace.

Attached Files: