1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plasti Dip Emblems

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mission Auto, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Just got my gen 4. Love it. Got windows tinted 20% in rear 35% front and 70% windshield. Looks clean.
    But just plasti dipped all my badges and emblems today.

I had no trouble simply masking and shooting 4 coats, peeling off was a breeze. But the front emblem was not cooperating. So I pulled the front emblem out completely, separated the chrome from the blue backing and sprayed just the chrome black. Looks great.

Here's how I pulled the emblem out. Open the hood. There's a black plastic panel over the top front with 5 plastic pins holding it on. PRESS the center of the pins until they click. Pull the cover out of the way and be careful not to loose the pins. Next locate the back of the emblem inside that newly exposed area. You will see three chrome tabs protruding. I started by gently pressing on the back of the emblem with one hand, and using a small metal pick I pryed the rightmost tab over toward the left and it moves out a little. Then to the leftmost tab I pryed to the left and then the upper... You get the idea. Voila. Now you've isolated the chrome emblem and can spray it all by itself. To reinstall the pins in that panel make sure you press the center of the pin up until it is popped up all the way. Then secure the outer 3 prong outer part first and press down lightly until it clicks once. If it depresses all the way and the center is sunken it is not secure. The emblem just snaps back in.
    Pics attached. I included a shot of the windshield tint, it's Suntek CXP 70. I like the tint but the tint shop must have dipped it in sand because holy crap there's a ton of trapped debris and dust. Will be bringing it back.

Attached Files:

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations - enjoy your Prius.

That front emblem is the sensor for the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control as well as the Pre-Crash Safety System - will they still work if you've coated it with something? The Manual specifically advises against applying anything to the sensor.

I'm also intrigued - you mention that you had tint applied to the front windscreen. Here, it is prohibited to apply any tint to the windscreen - other than a narrow band at the top of the screen above the field of view of the driver.

3. vince22

vince22 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks good.... looks even better with blizzard pearl color.

Anastaceyrose and krmcg like this.
  4. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I have a base Two model so the front emblem is just an emblem.
    As for the tint it's not legal to have tint covering the entire windshield. That said the light transmittance limit for the windshield is 70%. I literally can't tell there's tint on my windshield, I did it to keep my dash cooler in hot weather, since the windshield is like 9 feet long!!!

5. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting - the tint shops here wouldn't attempt to do it - if it's not legal, they won't do it. The situation could be legally awkward for them (and the owner) if the car was in a crash.

6. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    what spray paint did you use for the emblems? also, i just got my windows tinted about an hour ago, did the front 35% and back 20% just like yours. curious, what part of california are you in? i always figured the front is legal except for the top 6-9 inches or whatever. how much was the windshield tint?

7. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

That looks GREAT! I have the same color car... but not the guts (or skills) to mask off and paint the logo's... it looks very very nice!

What brand is the window tinting? 3M Ceramic?

If your in So. Cal... can you recommend a great tint place in San Diego or Orange County? I need to get mine done. Thanks!

8. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    They had me sign a waiver releasing them of liability.

9. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on tint! It makes a huge difference in heat. I got my windshield done for $120 with Suntek Cxp 70%. It's awesome. Literally can't tell its there, my 2nd Gen prius has some crapper tint on the windshield and makes night time driving and headlight glare unbearable. This Suntek stuff is incredible. No haze, no discoloration. It's totally clear. But cuts out 44% heat. Got the entire car tinted (every single window) for $320. And paint is actually rubber, it's Plasti Dip. It's non permanent. You literally peel it off when U sell or trade your car back in. It's the easiest thing to do. Get tape, mask off the SURROUNDING area leaving a 2" gap around emblem. Spray 4 coats waiting 10 mins between each coat. Wait 30 mins when done with 4 coats to dry. Remove tape. Peel off plasti dip where you don't want it. It it will separate from the emblems all by its self like magic. I did my whole car in an hour. Go to a pepboys and try it out on a wheel. They have a display for it. Since it's 100% removable try it!!

#9 Mission Auto, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    PriUncut likes this.
  10. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Front emblem pics and side emblems. Did they reuse the side emblems from the gen 2 prius??

Attached Files:

11. Mission Auto

Mission Auto Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    The areas I'm in frequently are between Pasadena and Thousand Oaks. Valley areas. My commute is 30 miles each way to work and I have to tell you, for $200/ month and free oil changes I love my prius. Can't wait to finish my project car for weekend driving up Angeles Crest!

12. PriusAdventurer

PriusAdventurer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    nicely done! I will be doing mine soon. I have the same year, same color. How did you get the blue to show through on the hybrid emblem? Did you tape it off or cut it out. Looks cool!

13. jdw

jdw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I recommend you also hit the emblems with some clear glossifier. It'll keep the black looking fresh and shiny.