1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plastic in undercarriage broke off. Need replacement clips.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ThreeDEf, Mar 10, 2012.

1. ThreeDEf

ThreeDEf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some genius lost something from their truck bed and it landed right in front of my car. I avoided it with my tires but had to drive directly over it. It pulled off a piece of plastic that is thankfully still hanging on. I believe I need to replace the clips that were once I'm place to hold it there, but I have no idea which clips it requires. How can I find this out?

The panel is located slightly behind the front wheels and I'm not sure what it exposes when it hangs there. Currently rigged up but not permanently at all.

2010 Prius III

Thanks.

2. Analogkid1958

Analogkid1958 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your dealer might be able to set you up, but not all dealers have a body shop, so you may need a body shop to check it out. While you're at it, have them check the sheet metal structure under there.

I ran over a piece of truck tire a while back and wound up replacing the entire plastic nose tray as well as the radiator supports and cross member. Thank heavens for good insurance! Hopefully this won't apply to you, but better to be safe.

Good luck!

3. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look at this post for cheap replacement clips/pins.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Equivalent replacements are inexpensively available on eBay;

I got these 8mm small ones from this guy in the US;

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

They have Philips screws, which makes them hold better and take off easier. I got them in 4 days.

It took me two weeks to get the larger 10mm ones from Hong Kong;

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Hope this helps all...............

5. ThreeDEf

ThreeDEf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased the clips, but they still had to touch-up some of the Used car since I got it right after they got it, so I mentioned it to the dealer and we will see. I'm definitely not going to pay for a repair, I'd rather replace it myself.

6. Therand

Therand New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found that the clips wear out over time. This was especially true for removal/replacement of clips surrounding the oil access panel during oil changes. I took the two different sized clips with me to Lowes and found replacements. They were not exactly the same but were the same size, had the center pull pin/spreader design, and when installed held the plastic undercarriage firmly. I ended up spending around $10 for two, five clip bags and kept the extras for future spares.

7. LuvMy2010

LuvMy2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Similar situation happened to me and I got an entire new under cover because there's a TSB for warped plastic in this area. It's TSB 0032-11. Check it out!