1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plastic Push Fasteners

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nwpa, Apr 4, 2007.

1. nwpa

nwpa New Member

Last week I was doing some exploring under the hood (bonnet) in the engine compartment. I decided to remove the black plastic panel that covers the radiators and runs from side-to-side. In doing so I destroyed the six little plastice push fasteners.

Yesterday, in installing the new fasteners, I discovered that they are easily removed by pushing the center pin up from underneath with just finger pressure!

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Perk @ Apr 4 2007, 05:03 AM) [snapback]417530[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. Actually, IIRC, pushing the center pin down from above released it for me. I did damage one and replaced it with a new one I ordered from the dealer. Now I'll have to check again.

Dave M.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The fasteners for the black plastic over the radiator at the front of the engine compartment have a #1 Phillips slot. Turning the center raises it a fraction of an inch and you can grip the center with your fingernails and lift the fastener out. The fasteners in the black plastic cowl by the windshield are different.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those of you who DIY will have to remove various black plastic fasteners from time to time. As those fasteners age they will become brittle and will tend to break.

My personal standard of maintenance requires me to replace all such broken fasteners. If you feel the same way, then you might benefit from the following list of fasteners that are typically needed in the hood area. The prices shown are what I recently paid for web order at Champion Toyota, Houston.

90467-08136 MSRP $1.03, Net $0.78 You need two of these clips, found at either end of the two-piece black plastic cowl cover.

90467-10183 MSRP $1.01, Net $0.77 Five of these clips are used to secure the engine under cover.

90467-07164 MSRP $1.61, Net $1.22 Many of these clips are used to secure the plastic fender liners. You will have to remove the front of the LF fender liner when you drain the coolant heat recovery canister.

90467-06133-C0 MSRP $1.83, Net $1.39 Six of these clips are used to secure the black plastic radiator cover.

I suggest that you order a supply of each of these clips so that you can easily replace the old ones as they break. Have fun with your DIY maintenance and repair!

5. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

90467-07164 11 of these for each fender liner in front
    http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Toyota_Fender_Splash_Shield_Push_Type_Clip_p/a20908.htm
    Fender Splash Shield Push-Type Retainer
    Black Nylon
    Head Diameter: 20mm
    Stem Length: 10mm
    Fits Into 7mm Hole
    Toyota: 90467-07164 Camry, Echo, MR2 & Sienna 1997 – On

55346-47010 6 of these are needed for the radiator support openning cover right under the in front of the car.

skiddl3s and don_chuwish like this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's interesting is that one plastic clip style can perform multiple functions. For example, the fender liner clip 90467-07164 works very well to secure the two-piece plastic cowl. That clip IMO is better than the original clip or 90467-08136 (which is not the original but is what Champion Toyota had shipped to me as a replacement) as there's a greater likelihood that you can remove and reuse it without it breaking.

7. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    At the risk of reviving a somewhat dormant thread, I have been looking for clips for the upper cover of the radiator (part 90467-06133-C0 ) but can't find them listed at Champion TW. Is there a better part to use to replace these clips (three of which have broken on my '06 at 100K). Thanks! :)

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Have you called your local dealers? They should be able to easily look up the part # and order for you. Good luck! :)

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just went on the Champion ToyotaWorld and found the part number.

I noticed that your message above shows a space after the trailing zero in the part number. Make sure that you delete that space, when doing a search on the TW website.

The current price is $1.41 each.

10. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks! I learned that the number comes up if you click on "Part Number Search" at the bottom left corner of the screen at CTW, but if you type the part number into the Part Number Search box at the upper right corner, it comes up with no results at all.... must be a bug in their system because the other part numbers work in the the upper right corner search box. Thanks again!
    :)

11. Jazzy

Jazzy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    a couple days ago I went through a puddle of water. LA rain~ Deep but the chassi didn't touch the ground at all. Once I pulled out of the water, there was this plastic liner under my tire not letting my tire turn. If it wasn't for the back 2 tires, my pruis would have to be towed. So today.. our lovely North Hollywood dealer said that a prius should not go through water because the plastic fender liners can fall off. I could not believe my ears. My mom has a prius as well which worries me... I'm not only upset because I have to pay $525 to fix their cheap plastic liner with plastic push fasteners, but I just DON'T feel safe at all. What if I was on the freeway? I begged my boyfriend to lease this car to go green and now I really miss my Escalade. Cadillac would Never have made me pay and probably would have given me a rental. Toyota.. I raved about you and now I don't even want to pick you back up from the dealership; Sad Jazzy :(

12. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    call corporate and complain about the dealer
    also say that no where does is it say that a puddle of water will kill prius and this is defect.
    you can also complain to BBB and the headquarter will answer you back usually nicely

13. Benjamin Haag

Benjamin Haag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is weird on many levels -- I have had two Priuses (Prii?), 2006 and 2011, and driven both through water many times without a problem. Hope you were able to sort this out without too much hassle...

14. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    These 90467-06133-c0 fasteners are available in bulk on eBay for as little as $.10 each, which is a lot closer to what they look like they should cost. They're obviously not Toyota branded, but the measurements look right, and since they're essentially disposables, who cares? BTW, if anyone can offer a guess as to how my sight shield (p/n 53289-47010) got chewed up around the center fastener (see photo) I'd love to hear it.

Attached Files:

15. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you need to ditch your lame BF and find a man who can fix it himself instead of letting the dealer hose you. $525??? it shouldn't cost anywhere near that much to tighten up your plastic panels.

I replaced many of the crappy little clips with 6mm bolts, fender washers and lock nuts. its much more secure and the bolts won't break if you have to remove them.

concerning the escalade: I work on crapillacs from time to time and they are junk. the northstar motor is only slightly better than the HT4100 it replaced, and that was one of the worst motors I've ever seen. I wouldn't want a modern GM product if it was free, and I used to be a chevy guy.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My favorite clip (for 7 mm holes) has ended up being the 90467-07117 ... I tend to put one in any time it will fit if I've taken out some other 7 mm variety. The push-center-button-in-and-pull-out action is just so much nicer to work with than the other styles.

-Chap

garglo likes this.
  17. BigalG

BigalG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi there my brand new 2016 tourer has had a very slight push on the front left bumper. Only noticeable damage is the fender to upper body clips seem to have broken. At least whats happening is the fender sneaks slightly out of alignment and I have to keep pushing it back about 5mm.
    Can any expert advise is this a panel job, or can I get the clips and replace? If the latter is there any information on how to access the clips to replace as the wheel housing covers the clips.
    Thanks kindly. Al.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

#17 BigalG, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First off, kinda frustrating: when the slightest tap to a bumper involves hours and $'s devoted to fixing...: the bumper. :confused:

There are a myriad of different fasteners, clips, plastic brackets. I'd suggest to just survey it carefully, take pictures if possible. See if you can disassemble; that'll greatly increase your understanding, as to what has to be replaced, what's salvageable. Then, deal with either through dealership parts department or online parts site.

Be very careful with push-in fasteners, they typically release by gently lifting the centre cap, occasionally by pushing down, and once in while there's a slot in the cap that you need to turn 90 degrees. Get the right fasteners, not generic. Any that you remove and opt to re-use, wash them out thoroughly: grit is the enemy, jams and breaks them. These are the tools I use with push-in fasteners that require lifting of the centre cap:

IMG_6166.JPG
    (The tool on the right I use the most: it has a 90 deg hook you can snag under the centre cap edge, then gently lever up. If it's fightening, threatening to break, I'll use one or both of the others in conjunction. The left tool is good in particular when the centre cap has been raised but the fastener STILL won't pull out: cup it round the whole base of the pin and gently lever up.)

#18 Mendel Leisk, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  19. BigalG

BigalG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks i dont really want to get into pulling it down unless an expert here has done before as without local knowledge more damage could be done. So if someone has actually pulled one down and can give a couple of tips or even to advise dont do it would suffice.
    It does look like the wheel housing needs to be unscrewed to get access.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A