1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plastic push pins (replacement) DIY oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bill075, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Bill075

Bill075 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Perhaps I should of added this to the thread for diy oil change.
    Here is the Toyota part # for the plastic push pins used on the access panel for the oil change. Price was quoted at local Toyota dealer.

Large pin 90467-07201. $2.43 ea
    Small pin 90467-10183. $1.80 ea

Another poster said Needa part number is 461230 found at the local O'Reilly parts store seemed to work. I believe it is for the larger size plastic pin.

Probably just a matter of time before you need to replace one or all.

2. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you know what size the holes are that these fit into? There are many aftermarket options (at a considerable discount if you buy in bulk) but it would be good to know the hole sizes for ordering.

3. Bill075

Bill075 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One poster said 8mm, diffently not 1/4".
    I'm not sure if that is for the smaller or larger size.

Look at post 144

4. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Found replacements referencing your part numbers listed. Shipping is reasonable, so if someone (A DIY sort of person) wanted to keep some on hand, this might be a worthwhile purchase...

For 90467-10183:
    Toyota Push-Type Retainer-Black Nylon

For 90467-07201:
    Lexus & Toyota Retainer

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Use coupon code "ebay" for a 5% discount...

2 people like this.
  5. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    so both 7mm diameter, but different lengths and head diameters. Great to have these sources.

6. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are the push pins suppose to be replaced or are they designed to be re-usable?
    If re-usable, what is the best way to remove them?

Can you tell I've yet to do an oil change on my Prius?

7. Bill075

Bill075 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They are re-usable,(how many times-don't know) use a small blade screwdriver to pop the head out to release the tension on the push pin. Seems like the extreme cold may be making some of these pins brittle and breaking when using a screwdriver.

1 person likes this.
  8. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One of those part that you should just buy a bulk and keep it at home

9. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Just did my first oil change, Guess what Broke the big plastic pin:eek:
    Going to stop at o'reillys For replacement Till I get to the dealer.
    Not the worst oil change I have done.but it's in the top ten!!
    my '06 VW GTI was a pain!!

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had them out twice last summer and fall, no problems. Took them out last winter when it was cold and broke 1 of each. The big one goes into a steel beam, I think it might be possible to thread the hole and replace it with a bolt?

11. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Just got back from o'reillys,They had many sizes $2.55 for a two pack!

I bought extras just in case.Yes you think they could come up with something better than those cheesy plastic clips!

12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    + The best reason to have spares is that if you have spares on hand, you wont need them.:D

Silver Pine Mica likes this.
  13. mikebull

mikebull Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    90467-10183 does not fit any of the oil change pins on my 2010 Prius. It is too small.
    90467-07201 matches the the small pin size, and is *too* small to replace the large pin.

Anyone know the correct part number for the large pin?

14. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The small OEM Toyota push pins do not refasten securely after they have been removed and replaced a few times. NAPA has push pins that seem to fasten better than the OEM Toyota push pins and they cost less at $4.49 (plus tax) per six or seven pack. The smaller NAPA push pin is part number 665-3278; the larger NAPA push pin is part number 665-2388 (see attached picture).

The small OEM Toyota push pin that connects the oil change door with a tab to the undercover is one that does not refasten as good as I would like. I cured this by using the larger (665-2388) NAPA push pin in this location (see attached picture of pin with red dot). The larger NAPA push pin seems a bit too tight the first time you push it in, but after it is in and out a couple times, the plastic holes in the door and undercover stretch enough to make it a perfect fit. The larger NAPA push pin is also an exact size replacement for the larger OEM Toyota push pin.

Attached Files:

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A couple of tips:

1. A paint can opener is ideal for removing these fasteners, in majority of locations. It's a tool that looks like a stubby, flat blade screw driver, except the last 1/8"~ of the tip is sharply crimped through 90 deg. Very effective: hook it under the cap and lever up. A slim blade screw driver still comes in handy, used in conjunction with the opener tool, or just at some tricky locations.

2. Whenever you have the fasteners off the car, rinse them thoroughly with warm water and blast them with compressed air if possible. The accumulated grit is likely instrumental in causing them to jam up and break when you're trying to remove them.

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The part numbers for the regular clip, the large clip and the 10 mm bolt for the engine under cover:

Regular clip 90467-07215 $1.01 each
    Large clip 90467-09227 2.18 each
    10 mm bolt 90119-A0098 0.69 each (with washer)

As xs650 said, if you have spares on hand you will not need them. Very true statement. Most of these are still in the bag when I do need them.

The best thing, as Mendel Leisk stated, is to take the time to remove the center piece carefully to keep from breaking them. The recommendation to clean them before re-installing is an excellent one.

1 person likes this.
  17. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well here's one for all you concerned with "push-pins"! They are a concern, but somewhere in this forum Den49 has a post concerning the "permanent solution" to oil door on under panel. I do all my own services such as oil chg's. After only 2 yrs and 48K I knew time was getting near when I needed to do this permanent solution. At my last oil/filter change I put new push-pins in the door. BUT last night the plastic "non-hinge" broke while going through a benign water exibit, (it's called "fording"), and is done at less than 1mph and is only a couple of inches deep. This is at a resort, (you know, it's called nature, natural beauty!). There was no way around it, it has round river rock for a road surface, and you go slooooo. No matter I heard something different, turned the stereo down and heard the panel dragging on the asphalt! Dark as could be, no light anywhere in this resort, (you know nature again). I didn't have my flashlight with me, at room, so was fortunate after dragging the thing for half a block, to get a maintenance man to "attempt" to crawl under the car and destroy the two push-pins still holding on, as I could see by his light that the plastic hinge had snapped. So now I hope the rest of the panel is alright, that I can order the metal hinges, and install them, w/o having to buy a new panel! The door is OK, a little scraped up, but reusable, so hope the rest of the panel will stay put on the trip home now!
    So while you are concerned about push-pins, understand the "door" will not be with you long, on that flimsy plastic hinge, so get the metal hinges and find Den49's post from some time nearly a year ago and prevent an "inopportune happening"!

1 person likes this.
  18. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I swear I break at least one of those darn things each time I change the oil, no matter how careful I am! When I was at the stealership for the ABS software update, I had them replace 3 of them for $4 each! I guess the 5 seconds it takes them to push the pin in is worth $3 in labor costs. I should probably buy a bag of each the next time I'm at the dealer, or do the "aftermarket" route mentioned here.

19. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I broke a couple of mine the first time I took them out until I learned how to remove them properly. Now that I have spares I have yet to break another one:)

I took my car to the dealer on the 10k oil changes and did my own at 5k. Each time I would do my own, I would find at least two or three push pins missing and would have to replace. So, those of you that depend on the dealer for oil changes, I would check your engine under cover and see how many pins are missing.

I would also find the oil filter housing on way too tight !!

20. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I break one on purpose every once and a while so I can use my spares. :D