1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Please Help. Confused on Gen 1 Batteries: New, Rebuilt, etc?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by JWLinkin, Apr 13, 2013.

1. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've looked through the forums and haven't found an answer my questions.
    I have a 2002 Prius with 70,000 miles on it. The car broker replaced one cell which lasted about 15oo miles.
    Code P3022 tells me I need a replacement battery.
    The internet tells me Gen 2 and 3 cells are better than Gen 1.
    Luscious Garage says don't buy a rebuilt battery with old cells, buy a new one.
    Toyota tells me they only sell batteries with rebuilt old cells from Gen 2.
    One person told me he would sell me a brand new Gen 1 battery with Gen 1 cells manufactured by Toyota. Does this sound right?

Question 1: Does anyone rebuild Gen 1 Batteries with NEW Gen 2 or 3 cells?
    Question 2: With only 70,000 miles on this car (previously owned by an older couple) wouldn't it make sense to buy a battery that would last the longest and what would that battery be?

I'm leaning right now on buying a battery from Greentecauto -- rebuilt with 2010 cells $2295 + I have to pay for shipping the old battery. They also sell a rebuilt battery with used Gen 2 cells for $1,645.

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

JWLinkin

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In the past, a Toyota replacement battery came with Gen 1 modules. These were swapped with the existing modules.
    It is possible but I have not heard of anyone doing this.
    I upgraded my 2003 Prius traction battery at 120,000 miles to a rebuilt from ReInVolt. There was nothing wrong with the old modules but three years later, one of them has already given up the ghost. They do not last forever
    I don't know them.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

3. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,
    Thanks for replying to my message.
    3 years on a battery isn't very encouraging. I wonder if this is how long most of the rebuilt batteries are lasting. Maybe this is why Luscious Garage doesn't recommend buying the rebuilt ones any more.

You said: "In the past, a Toyota replacement battery came with Gen 1 modules. These were swapped with the existing modules."

So do "new" Toyota batteries come with new Gen 2 cells for Gen 1 cars or still have Gen 1 cells? Or do they still come with new Gen 1 cells? One person said he has a brand new Toyota Battery with Gen 1 cells - price $2200. If this was a really old battery that had never been installed, would it still be like "new" and be reliable? If it would last 10 years like the current battery that might be a good buy. I wonder how he comes to own a "brand new" Toyota battery.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/please-help-confused-on-gen-1-batteries-new-rebuilt-etc.125091/#ixzz2QSES4mJq

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Rebuilding a traction battery has two requirements:
    • near equal Ahr capacity modules - a 2.5 Ahr module and a 5.5 Ahr module will have different charge-discharge slopes. The 2.5 Ahr module will have a greater swing and more quickly approach 'do not go here' voltage levels. So it is important to survey incoming modules to measure their capacity. This takes time and automation to do it right. That is why we recommend getting a smart, RC hobby charger/discharge unit with a data storage capability and both dV and temperature sensing charge limiter.
    • equal State of Charge - much easier to achieve, just charge the modules to the same voltage level at ~55-60% capacity. The SOC will vary in normal operation.
    Now our NHW11 traction battery requires 38 modules. But any modern Prius packs are only going to have 28 modules. Not only will they have some difference in Ahr capacity within a pack, two, 28 module packs are going to have substantially different operational histories. So the best approach is volume, having a large number of modules coming in; survey them when they come in for Ahr capacity, and; building packs using matched modules. For example,
    • 38 modules, 5.5 Ahr +/- 0.5 Ahr - might be one pack
    • 38 modules, 4.5 Ahr +/- 0.5 Ahr - might be a second pack
    • 38 modules, 3.5 Ahr +/- 0.5 Ahr - would be fine, third pack
    It takes at least 38*3 = 114 modules to assemble three serviceable replacement packs. But that does not include the failed modules discovered in the input stream.

Any modules will less than 3.0 Ahr would go to the recyclers as the first 'failed' pack I bought had modules below 2.5 Ahr with many in the 2.2 Ahr range. These are badly dehydrated modules and though my rehydration experiments showed they can be reconditioned back to 6.5 Ahr, I was never able to solve the case seal problem. Worse, the terminal "O" rings were often permanently damaged which means even with the case resealed, they would just dehydrate too soon. But look at the economics.

Traction battery rebuilders are faced with 'garage operators' who may lack the inventory and automation to do the job right. Worse, there are folks who have no clue about traction battery dynamics out there buying salvage packs and building . . . stuff. Search the messages and you'll find more than a few cases of folks who report:

'I replaced "n" modules and it worked great for 3-6 months and failed again.' - with obvious frustration​

I don't know if you've ever met someone who thinks they can rebuild an engine without a torque wrench. I have but they don't brag about it later. Rebuilding a traction battery takes more than just blindly swapping modules unless one wants to spend the rest of their lives replacing modules.

I don't know where you get "3 years" as the life of a properly rebuilt traction battery. Traction battery life is a function of "heat is the enemy." The folks who are sloppy about their rebuilding technique are also the ones most likely to drive over 70 mph, in hilly terrain, hot weather, and park in the direct sun.

The $2200 for new NHW11 modules sounds about right. Properly charged, they should have a very, very long storage life. It is cycling at high temperatures that wears them out. So I would have no problem with a Toyota replacement pack . . . but choose to go with refurbished, NHW20 modules. It has to do with heat management as "heat is the enemy."

Our NHW11 is my city commuting car but sometimes I may have to use it to do a cross country trip in summer heat. I also live in North Alabama and this is not the coolest place to live. So I chose a 'heavy duty' module design even though used and bought it assembled and tested from ReInVolt because I knew they had the inventory, technology, and skills to do a good job. But that is me . . . I've been called an 'anal retentive engineer' and I consider it a compliment.

Bob Wilson

5. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,
    Thank you for taking the time to post -- very educational. I'll be purchasing a battery this week.

I work with a lot of engineers (Corps of Engineers). One of my engineer friends at the Corps will be helping me install the battery. Again, thanks.

Jeff

Merkey likes this.
  6. Rick atl

Rick atl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jeff,

The Toyota battery is new and has all new cells looking exactly identical to the original ones. Since the originals typically last 10 years or more I think that's great. I think current list is 2299.00 at Toyota. It comes case, cells, and I believe bussbars if I remember right from installing my new one. All the cables, bussbar covers, and all the electronics and temp sensors you need to carefully swap off your old unit before returning it to get your core deposit back.
    On a positive note, rebuilt would be easier if they come totally ready to go.

If you haven't bought one yet please consider the new one. Rebuilts still have some use and cycles on them at the very least, and buying one is like buying a case of used laptop batteries for almost new price. New is better to me but of course as Bob says there are rebuilders and then there are guys who think they are.

Just my 2 cents worth. It's not hard but just be careful of the ~300 volts ... and your back :), I was impatient and though I should have gotten help lifting and moving it around neglected to- and paid for a month lol. It would be a good idea to get a small inch-pound torque wrench to tighten all those nuts. You wouldn't want to break a stud off the cell in a new battery.

Good luck,

Rick

Merkey, JWLinkin and bwilson4web like this.
  7. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered a battery from GreenTecAuto. It is rebuilt with Gen 3 cells. It comes ready to install with a 3 year warranty. It hasn't arrived yet. I'll let you know how this turns out.
    Thanks again to those who responded and helped educate me on this.
    Jeff

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Jeff,

Getting a well made rebuilt (My preferred source is ReInVolt) HV Battery using low mileage Gen3 Modules (6 cells each) is a great choice. I would trust it to last longer than a "new" Gen1 battery from Toyota as the Gen3 modules are superior to even the Gen2 modules which were a significant improvement over the Gen1 modules.

JeffD

Merkey and bwilson4web like this.
  9. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The continuing saga:
    After installing the HV Battery with Gen 3 cells, I drove the car for a week without incident -- a total of 200 miles. Today, after driving the car 18 miles the red lights came back on. I put my scanner on it and got code P3125. Not trusting my scanner, I took it to Autozone -- they got the same code, P3125.

Reading other threads here on PriusChat, code P3125 could be: inverter, wiring harness, and hybrid vehicle ECU. Is this correct?

Could any of these be related to the HV Battery that I bought and installed?

BTW, the car ran fine after the red light came on. I drove it 12 miles to AutoZone without incident. While there I cleared the code with my scanner and drove the car home another 8 miles without any problems and without the red light coming back on?

I emailed the place where I bought the battery and told them the red lights came on and that I would email them the code. Do they have any responsibility for this code? What should my next steps be?

Many thanks,
    Jeff

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We need the INFO codes associated with P3125 to fault-isolate the problem. Also, we need to see that it came back.

For good measure, do you see turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir?

Bob Wilson

11. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,

To get the INFO codes associate with P3125 I need to take the car to a Toyota dealership, correct?

Per your post, I took new readings with the scanner. The red lights came back on and the code came read P3125, again.

I opened the inverter coolant reservoir. There is about 3/4" of clear (not cloudy) red fluid in the reservoir that has bubbles and the fluid is moving. I presume this is good? Does this eliminate any problems?

What should my next step be?

Many thanks,

Jeff

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that should be your next step. It sounds like the newly-installed battery and the inverter coolant pump are both operational.

Merkey and bwilson4web like this.
  13. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today I went to 2 Toyota Dealerships and talked directly to 2 mechanics.

Mechanic 1: "You shouldn't put Gen 3 cells in a Gen 1 car." You may have burned out the inverter. The inverter doesn't know what to do with the Gen 3 cells. It will cost $300 to run tests to tell you what the problem is and we can't be sure even then.
    Mehcanic 2: "Gen 3 cells don't belong ina Gen 1 car." We can't really tell you what is wrong with the car. Sorry. Inverters are proprietary and we don't do much work on them besides replace them - cost about $4500. No real suggestions.

So, I disconneted the 12 volt battery to clear the codes and drove the car for about 3 miles. First thing I noticed is the battery symbol on the dash display shows it was only half charged. It charged the battery symbol to full in a mile and seemed to run fine for before the red lights came on. Then the car still ran but didn't have as much pep and wouldn't go as fast.

So I have $6750 in the car purchase with almost 71,000 miles on it and another $2,300 in a battery that either doesn't work in the car, or maybe did more damage to the car (damaging the inverter). I'm at a loss of what to do now. I'm hesitant to pour good money after bad if there is no very sure fix in sight. Very discouraged and don't know what to do now.

Does anyone here have experience putting a Gen 3 battery in a Gen 1 car? Was it a bad idea?

All advice is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

14. Russell Walker

Russell Walker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    • 38 modules, 5.5 Ahr +/- 0.5 Ahr - might be one pack
    • 38 modules, 4.5 Ahr +/- 0.5 Ahr - might be a second pack
    • 38 modules, 3.5 Ahr +/- 0.5 Ahr - would be fine, third pack
    Bob Thank you for your input into this forum I have a question about your statement above if the battery is sets of cells all in series in modules of 6 and all in series shouldnt they all be somewhere neer the same capacity im not sure what you meen 38 modules in a pac. can you explain please.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/please-help-confused-on-gen-1-batteries-new-rebuilt-etc.125091/#ixzz2RtZdwh1m

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My suggestion is that you visit another dealership, describe the warning lights and driveability symptoms that appear, and ask for the DTC to be read. Don't confuse the service writer or the mechanic by saying that your traction battery contains G3 modules. Just find out the DTC including three-digit info codes, and ask what diagnosis the mechanic would provide. Yes, you may have to pay $200-$300 for that opinion.

I do not have experience putting G3 modules into a Classic vehicle but it should not make any difference vs. the use of G2 or Classic modules. All Prius traction battery modules contain six cells and have a nominal 7.2V voltage.

I agree that in retrospect it was not a good idea to invest $9K into an 11 year old Prius. It is reasonable for you to ask whether you are putting more good money into a rathole.

Merkey, usnavystgc and bwilson4web like this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Let's go over each set:
    Either ask them to read out the codes or get one of the Prius-aware scanners and read the code directly:
    • ScangaugeII ($150) - add XGAUGE definitions
    • AutoEnginuity ($500+your Windows laptop) - full up diagnostic
    • miniVCI (~$35) - Chinese hack
    • Local Toyota service department scans and reports codes
    So they distracted you from reading and reporting the INFO codes?
    External symptoms do not work. We need specific Prius-aware diagnostic information. Over-the-counter scanners do not know how to read the important codes.

The next one requires understanding what Amp Hour (Ahr) means and balance effects.
    If you build a pack with different Ahr capacity, the weakest ones will limit the pack capacity:
    [​IMG]
    The "A" arrows are where the voltage difference between the best and worst modules reaches 0.3V, the limit that triggers a P3006 code. The only way to identify the pair of modules that are running low is to use a Prius-aware scanner.

But even if matched modules are used, it they are not balanced, the offset also limits the pack capacity:
    [​IMG]
    This would be perfectly usable pack IF all modules were at the same, initial, state of charge.

A pack needs to have equal capacity modules, Ahr, and equally charged modules.

Bob Wilson

Patrick Wong likes this.
  17. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,
    The miniVCI sounds like a bargain if it will read the INFO codes.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

18. JWLinkin

JWLinkin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it any help to note that the little battery symbol only showed up as half full when I test drove it yesterday? Normally it shows full from the time the car starts. Also, after I drove the car for about 3 miles the red lights came back on and the car wouldn't run very fast. Seemed like the engine was running a little faster than it normally does, but the car wasn't moving as fast.

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The two I tested both worked perfectly with our NHW11. The first one, firmware 1.4.7, did not fully work with my wife's car, ZVW30. The second one, firmware 2.0.4, has worked perfectly with both cars.

Bob Wilson

20. Russell Walker

Russell Walker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for that Bob. At what load would you test at. And what current would be drawn from the battery under normal load it must be a few amps even at 270volts.
    Will you get a check engine light if the bank is out 0.3 volts and you get a P3006 code.