1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug in prius gas tank size

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by essaunders, Apr 24, 2011.

1. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the plug in prius have a smaller tank than 2010/11? The range displayed was calculated from 50mpg x 9.54gal. Does it have a smaller tank, or are they just using ~80% of 11.9 gal?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the demonstrators have smaller tanks, or (if true) is this a new change for production?

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The demo vehicles had a smaller tank size as well. Just wanted to find a source to back it up.

5. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. So they are using 90% of 10.6 for the range calc. I think I remember to EPA does the same.

I was vaguely hopeing for a smaller production gas tank in exchange for a slightly lower cargo deck than the demonstrators

6. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Who knows, maybe for production they worked it out and the trunk deck will be lowered flat without the inch or so raise the demo cars had... We just won't know until specs and photos are released for production models closer to the end of the year.

Personally, having driven it for a week and even taken it on a road trip, being raised the little bit it was and not having the storage underneath really did not bother me. I don't often use the space anyway, so knowing the battery is there to give me the ev range, it's a good trade off.

7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No spare? Does it have run flat tires?

8. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, no run flats, there was an inflation kit included with the plug in demo vehicles. I thought I remember reading somewhere some time ago when the production vehicles come out they speculated Toyota may include free road side assistance with the plug in since it is void of a spare.

9. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    While I'm not a fan of run flat tires (had them on my previous BMW, and the ride is very harsh due to the stiff sidewalls, plus they're very expensive), those cans-o-goo flat tire repair products along with a portable pump only work for minor punctures. At least RFTs allow you a 50 mile range to get to service. Of course, the other factor is, when was the last time you (I) had to use a spare? I honestly can't remember. :p

I believe the 2 year free Toyota care, or whatever it's called, includes roadside assistance.

10. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's exactly what I told someone else at work who griped about it now having a spare. I luckily never did need to to use any spare in any of my vehicles since 1994. Now we jinxed ourselves stream, you know that lol.

I have to wonder if for only the plug in, they'll include roadside assistance for the vehicles life (even if only for flat tire help) instead of just 2 years to calm potential buyers fears.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Notoriously - rft's are NOT your friend when it comes to low rolling resistance. But then again, BMW is not exactly a champion of a high mileage corporate fleet average, either ... opting instead for a philosophy of being able to quickly get to the next red light, and/or high speed diving into those hair pin corners. But, if 'handling' is your thing ... then that's the way to go. Like most everything in life .... there are trade-off's.

12. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I feel that for their HP figures BMWs get very good gas mileage...but that is neither here nor there. I do agree that run-flats and LRRs are probably not even in the same family as far as tires go and it will be interesting to see what they come up with. In the long run free roadside might be cheaper than a donut and steel wheel when you think of the low percentage that will need it.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My luck is not yet that good. DW had a sidewall blowout in my old car just a few months ago, no fix-a-flat can could handle that. And we spend enough time in areas with no cell service, very sparse traffic, and higher than average risk of tire failure, that I'm not yet ready to accept no spare.

I wouldn't hold most EVs to the same standard, as nearly all of them will be staying close to home with sufficient cell service.

14. ernda

ernda New Member

What would roadside service do for you besides tow you to somewhere where they can either repair or replace your tire? That means you may miss some function or other as opposed to getting there a little late. I also agree that cell service may not be working where you happen to get your flat. I hope toyota finds a way to get a spare, even a compact spare, somewhere in the car. Maybe underneath the car like in some SUV's.

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    '... a little late ...' could easily include a half day's hike out to some place with enough weekday traffic to hitch a ride to some place with working phone service. Or a 36-hour wait for a tire shop to open in rural areas without Sunday business hours. While most people don't go to these kinds of places anymore, I still do.

I'm about as willing to remove the spare tire from the car's kit of essentials as I am willing to remove matches and compass from my backpack.