1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-In Road Rage: It begins

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Jan 21, 2014.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    NEW ROAD RAGE IN THE GREEN AGE - The Orange County Register

Seems the folks who wana save the world by switching to electric commuting, can't get along very well. Oh! Did I misunderstand folks' motives for plugging in? Yep ... the days of cooperation are long gone. It's all about 'ME' !!
    :p
    EDIT: oops ... the link above may need registration ... so here's another link to a similar story:
    Electric car owners are unplugging other electric cars | green car
    It's amazing how entitled we are, as a motoring society. The EV's claim they ought to have priority ... some within the hybrids plug-in community say (I've actually heard this) 'serves you right for running out of power ... poor planning on your part'.

Irony of ironies is that some plugin drivers cry if public EVSE's are priced comparable to gas - much less if they charge a price that's even higher than gas. One thing's for certain - higher EVSE costs (getting rid of free charge stations) sure drives the freeloaders away. When that happens, they're often outraged. ;)

2. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Cars that can still move on an empty battery (Prius Plugin, Volt) should have lower priority than cars that cannot move on an empty battery (Leaf, Fit EV) since the owners of the latter cars will have no way to get home. i.e. stranded

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    ckam1989 and bwilson4web like this.
  4. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    It bothers me that the Volt owner sent an "angry email" to his Leaf-driving cow orker. Does the Volt owner expect his EV colleague to just be stranded at work with an empty battery?!?!? People so rarely put themselves in another person's shoes (empathy).

I suspect the angry guy probably got an HR warning: Next time he would be fired for being a potential danger to his fellow employees (yes I've seen it happen across multiple companies).

5. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What great news. 8 years ago we were all lamenting the death of the EV1 while watching and shaking our heads at "Who Killed the Electric Car?" Now we are arguing about not having enough charging spots. One week after getting my PiP, I found it unplugged and an electric drill battery occupying the socket at my work. "I needed a place to charge up my drill," the jokester said. We had a good laugh. The easiest and most economical solution as my workplace did for me was open up regular 120v outlets. There is no need to install dedicated chargers.

iPhone ?

minkus and DadofHedgehog like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd second that, except to say: I think plug-in hybrids should have next to no priority. It's purely a mpg vanity for a plug-in, with the electric it's necessity.

7. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd be careful of generalizing.......
    - A plug-in like the Volt has the same performance whether running on battery or on gas
    - A plug-in like the i3 would have severely crippled performance on the highway, meaning it could take them twice as long or more to commute home

So, either true EREVs like the i3 get into the EV priority category, or a new slot must be created for them, just ahead of regular PHEVs.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Disagree. Most of the plugin owners I know, and for myself, it was all about using less gasoline.
    Sure, owners may get competitive about the overall mpg numbers, but I have seen that with many car types. The goal is still to use less gasoline which is a good thing.

9. If these crimes happen to plug-ins when they're parked, wouldn't it be "Off the road" rage?

This is why I long since switched to the term "driver rage."

But then again, I can't use that either since the person whose plug-in was parked wasn't actually driving it... (n)

oh well

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is it? Then riddle me this: Why is it that MANY folks in the plugin prius sub forum complain to high heaven when a public charger's fee exceeds the Prius' gasoline driving cost. Iow, when PiP owners collectively bitch about expensive charger electricity - I have yet to read a single post that promulgates your view that, "Hey - it really doesn't matter if the charger's cost is more than gas ... because it's all about using less gas".
    Don't get me wrong - I applaud what you are saying. Reality is - that the reason plug in hybrid owners bitch about electricity cost is because the real bottom line is it's "any" cost that matters to drivers ... or at least that's what seems to be the motive for many of them. Imo, that's why so many plug in drivers are becoming cut throats .

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The rage is from cognitive dissonance, not loss of a few pennies.

TH: The PhEV owner paid for a plug-in, and they want to use it. The problem with your stance is that it has no rational boundaries. Should a small battery EV have priority over a big battery EV ? How about a 500 Wh/mile car compared to a 200 Wh/mile car ? The guy in a "rush" ?

I know! Each person will say why they think they should be first in line, and then (no doubt) there will be a meeting of the minds and happy resolution.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Cognitive dissonance also falls within my observation. Eg: Volt owner buys plugin so (s)he can travel on less expensive electrons. EVSE's are all occupied .... forcing use of more expensive fuel/gas ... ensuing anger faced with thoughts of fuel @ 37mpg.

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Honestly, I think the anger is misplaced projection. Imagine the Volt owner then going home and having to tell the wife that he would have driven EV for free, but a LEAF owner co-opted the charging station because LEAFs are more deserving. LOL

So, what kind of *EV do you want ?

LEAF, and enjoy range anxiety; or
    PhEV, and know that you go to the back of the line ?

14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    First, you misunderstood, or choose to misrepresent my position.
    Of course EV and PHEV owners are interested in the cost. That is PART of the reason they are interested in using less gas. Not necessarily the whole reason though.
    My statement was in response to Mendel stating that for PHEV owners it was all about vanity of high mpg numbers. I disagreed. Not sure where you are trying to take that.

The complaints about high charger costs are typically due to frustration or perceived price gouging. For many, when compared to their home electricity cost, public chargers are rather ridiculously priced.

Free chargers create another problem in that in increases demand well beyond the available supply. Make the price of any supply limited product free and this type of thing will typically happen. What do you think would happen if a gas station offered free gas to the first 50 fill ups at noon on every day?

3PriusMike and frodoz737 like this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    first come, first serve. that's my motto. charge up and get out the way!;)

nodrogkam, Tracksyde, -1- and 2 others like this.
  16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe a solenoid can be added to the plug where it can't be unplugged until the charge is complete.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  17. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    To add to the heartfelt discussion: my primary motivation for buying two plug-ins (2d one halfies with my son) is because IMHO every gallon of gas not imported to the US incrementally deceases the risk of sending our GIs halfway around the world for economically-driven national involvement in a certain socially unstable and oil-rich region. I see it as an active choice to help economize our military's lives.

3PriusMike, Scorpion and Zythryn like this.
  18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually, being unable to charge is jusg another arrow in the quiver to many Volt owners: "Imagine if I had a BEV, I could have been stuck." While some get "gas anxiety" in general they enjoy the fire and forget, knowing that overall they drive mostly electric.

Contention shouldn't be so co tentious as it's a natural cknsequence of slow refueling.

19. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm with you on 110/120v being the better route.

Let EV's have exclusive access to L2 220/240v dedicated chargers....they need the greater power to fill their bigger battery.

But for all other PHEVs, it should be 110v all the way, if we are talking about workplace charging. I mean, that is: 8 hours x 1.125 kwh = 10kwh.....more than enough to fill a Volt, Accord Hybrid, C-Max Energi, Fusion Energi, PiP, and the vast majority of PHEVs coming up.

(L2) 220/240v---> EVs and true EREVs only; 1st come, 1st serve, no priority for mi/kwh or batt. capacity, but must move when finished charging. No PHEVs allowed, ever.
    (L1) 110/120v--> Reserved for all other PHEVs, and also to EV/EREVs that weren't able to get a spot at -or are wating for- an L2 charger

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  20. Scorpion

Scorpion Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Or maybe we can hurry up and agree on an wireless charging standard -induction or resonance- so that plugging in and unplugging (and worrying about someone else unplugging) your EV will be a thing of the past.