1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Plug-In Supply DIY

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by PriusDIY, Mar 15, 2012.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just to let everyone know, I did not ask for a refund. I asked for a list of components I would be receiving and a timeframe I would receive them in. When I asked for that, that's when I was told I would get a refund instead. I was willing to wait it out, I only wanted to know when to expect the components. The other info to this saga is I was told things like, "Ill send them next week" or "tomorrow" or, "in two weeks". After those timeframes passed, it really made me doubt the next promise.

If I would have known to expect a 4 month lag, I might still be satisfied and waiting for the kit. I never dreamed it would take this long. I guess you live and learn.

1 person likes this.
  2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    If your time frame is not at premium, I would try to reconciliate with the vendor and arrange some how for the delivery of the kit's parts balance.
    The company's owner always had have a good reputation and the best PHEV kit.

1 person likes this.
  3. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I would expect that Robb would not keep any components in stock but instead would order components directly from the Chinese supplier and then have each separate component sent directly from each different Chinese supplier directly to the PIS customer. Recently I ordered a Elcon charger from a Chinese company and it took over a month despite sending many email reminders and complaints and also take into account that Australia is closer to China than the USA. Incidentally the PIS kits also use a Elcon charger. My Enginer Kit took forever to be sent to me from China via a container ship and then I had to pay a lot more money for my kit to be taken off the container ship and be delivered to my address. Even a bigger Chinese company like Enginer at one time seemed to almost go bankrupt although I cannot prove it. Most Chinese companies that deal with PHEV kits seem to just not care. The Chinese seem to have a Australian attitude "She'll be right" which when translated to Chinese slightly changes in meaning to "F... Y.. very much". PHEV kits are a niche market and PIS is a small business struggling to take off. Seriously some people need a reality check.

4. stripedrex

stripedrex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for that perspective. But telling people they need a reality check and to expect close to 1/2 a year of wait time for a $6k+ item especially when not communicated is NOT ok. If part of your goal is to offset the cost of gas 5 months (and counting) is a long time and regardless of who's fault that is. The information provided by customers here is VERY valuable for those who want to know what to expect. For me it's enough to reconsider getting a used prius + pis and just go for the real pip and maybe get a range extender in the future. I can imagine how hard it must be to try and manage a multiple vendor solution like this and I still believe what PIS is trying to do is awesome. Hopefully people will see that and continue to support their efforts understanding this risk. I can imagine the 'bleeding edge' and tech savvy niche market PIS has, would definitely find this thread in their research which I think is the right thing. The success of a company is usually dictated by how well it's able to reach it's potential customers and ultimately satisfy their needs / wants. Unfortunately like others here I haven't read enough of the success stories and believe this thread is starting to uncover why. To note however we only have 2 complaints on this thread so it's not overwhelming but considering I've only see 2-3 positive reviews not good either.

3 people like this.
  5. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    If you would like to try my PiP, you are more than welcome. We are close by, me in North Babylon. Send me a pm and we can arrange time and date.
    Horacio

6. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Despite all the doom and gloom I have a PIP which I have not filled the petrol tank for the last four months. I do EV to work and back mon-fri on the motorway at max speed 84kph. After all the painstaking problems and setbacks i have had of doing my own DIY PHEV I look back and still think it was all worth it. It was a bit like climbing a mountain.

7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what setbacks did you have?

and how long did you need for it to compleet?

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  9. PriusDIY

PriusDIY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All, I started this thread because I was extremely happy to see PIS posting their kit DIY as an avid diy'r myself. Let's not point fingers because we're all after the same goal. Its exceptionally great to hear from those who have ordered it, I appreciate your comments. Again, what these small companies are doing is very difficult and the market is small.

I may be wrong here but doesnt the PIS website say they've only done like 200 of these? I would assume that's mostly locals in CA so expanding to mail order vs in shop is a whole new can of worms.

10. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    As promised, I examined the shipment from China this evening.

It had a rather thick packing list. Actually, an invoice cover; an MSDS (Safety Data Sheet); and a 14 page test report.

The shipment consists of 5 boxes, each containing two smaller boxes. I only opened two of the larger boxes. You can see one of them in the second pic, with one of the smaller boxes removed.

One of the smaller boxes contained 4 battery cells and a bag of bus connectors. Unfortunately, these are NOT copper. They are visible in pic 3. Very well packed BTW. The other nine boxes (I assume all nine...I only opened 3) contain 8 battery cells as shown in pic 4.

I added a 5th pic of my hand holding one of the batteries to give perspective.

Attached Files:

11. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I personally would request the batteries last. electronics don't go bad from sitting. batteries will go bad from sitting. if you get the batteries first and do not cycle the charges, they'll lose capacity.

1 person likes this.
  12. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Initially my first Enginer kit spent more time out of service waiting for warranty parts than being in service. I will not go into detail as Enginer already gets enough flack as it is. Spent a lot of time getting my Enginer kit to work properly as it should be. Led me to get a replacement BMS - miniBMS whilst Jack was looking for a solution to a BMs16D problem. To get a second Enginer kit I had to source a RFE battery pack locally from an installer. He quoted me a ridiculous price for a new DC converter. Jack would not sell me a second DC Converter. I then managed to buy a DC Converter from Fountainhead Electronics which used to supply converters to Jack. The DC Converter lasted two weeks and blew up. When Jack finished designing and building the new version 6 Converter he sold me an extra DC Converter. My BMSplus kit was OK except I had to modify the miniBMs due to interference from the DC Converters. It was a struggle.

13. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a ok so it was basicly enginer trouble not the A123 BMS+ system.

14. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I applaud you because you were able to tackle and overcome all technical problems involving the Enginer Kit.
    You are one of the very few...

15. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are quite a few people with Enginer kits out there. Myself included. One of the original 2kwh system's in my Honda Insight. No BMS other than my baby monitor, resistors, and patience. :)

At times they still can be finicky, but Enginer has always stood behind the product and helped out their customers.

I'm certain there were difficult financial times for them much as there is for any new company in a bleeding edge field.

2 people like this.
  16. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't really get a choice. Even if I had, I placed the order before you mentioned this.

I doubt the batteries will lose significant charge just sitting in the boxes for the next month or so (hope it's not longer). I will check them occasionally. As long as they don't drop below 2.5V they should be fine.

I check all four in the box with the connectors and every one read 3.4V. Actually, I'm rather impressed with the battery supplier...so far.

17. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Witch battery supplier sent you the headways?

18. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Invoice says ShenZhen Light Industrial Technology Co. Ltd

They're listed as PWB1389 3.7V cells.

19. Frank06

Frank06 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for keeping us up to date. I am considering a PIS 10kw kit but am not quite yet in a position to order.

Not sure about Headways but there's no evidence that prismatic cells lose charge by sitting. I'd be surprised if you're able to see any loss of capacity.

20. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    That's my opinion as well. However, if they wind up sitting any length of time (months, not weeks) I will do a voltage check on them.