1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poll: Are you buying a Plug-in Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by StuffOnARock, Sep 17, 2011.

?
  1. I'm on the list, I'm planning on buying.

76 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. I'm on the list, I'm no longer buying.

19 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. I'm not on the list, I'm planning on buying.

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. I'm not the list, I'm not buying... and I like voting on polls.

52 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like one, but wow over 30k and nearly 40k???

2. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There is nothing "wrong" with it, I was just hoping for more AER, for less $. There are also the PHV Conversion companies (PICC), that have mastered adding 6-8KW in the storage area/spare tire area, also replacing the original Prius pack as well. Those conversions run $12.5K, but you do get 25-30 miles of AER. The issue with those is, the Federal Tax credit is much less, like %10 or $1,000 max, so they are pricey. I think Toyota could have done better, but they are so very conservative.

I was thinking of this one in particular, as it lets you go almost 70mph on pure EV.
    They use the EWERTS HEM (2nd link)

Gold Peak Plugs into Plug-In Conversions

Ewert Energy Systems

Why didn't Toyota just do something similar to this, looks like they have a very good handle on it...

3. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm on the list and trying to decide...

32K is pretty aggressively priced for a new roll-out product for the #1 Hybrid company to be at.

The prius does charge the battery so when on highway you can be charging up for longer commutes...

4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Basically the PiP is a Prius Four with the Nav package and is $1,540 more (MSRP $30,460 versus $32,000). But then there is the $2,500 tax credit which makes it cheaper than a Prius Four with the Nav package. Ok it doesn't have leather but it still has heated seats.

:eek:hwell:

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, it's less than the difference between a Two and loaded Five, but the forced upgrades on the PHV make it about right.

The issue is really the minimum cost of the upgrade.

6. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I must have the Toyota newest PIH.
    I have to retire my 2004 self made PIH in 2005; then the first one (#1) in the North-Eastern part of the USA.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I almost never drive anywhere close enough to use the battery. I walk in the village. When we need to go to the city it is too far for electric, so for the time being we will stick with our Gen II.

Tom

8. MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have no problem plunking down the cash for the advanced package. I have a problem with the lack of a sunroof and the colors offered.
    Clearwater blue: I mean why not make the blue the same as a bag from Tiffany's -get real.
    Blizzard Pearl: OK, alot of people like white, others look at it and say" what color are you going to paint that?"
    Seaglass Pearl: Another ladies handbag color and that's great for our female Prius owners but I can't see the guys lovin' it.
    Classic Silver Metallic: Classic(another word for played out), it's not bad but it's getting tired besides I already have a Sienna minivan in this color.
    Winter Grey Metallic: This, (in my opinion) is the one I would pick if I were to settle but for $40K, that's not happening.
    I've been driving my gen II for 6 years, I outlasted the gen III urge (that was tough) and finally the day is here -and they take away the friggin sunroof, oh well.
    I'm not going with the first run like jumping on the first iPad and then going oHHH, when the next one came out. I'm happy for the people getting the 1st PHV for their own reasons but i'm in a good position to wait for what I really like.

1 person likes this.
  9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's what happens with initial rollouts. Certain things are intentionally held back. Red wasn't offered for the first 3 years. When do you think dark green will come back? Heck, Toyota left off cruise-control at first with the Classic to keep demand in check.

1 person likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am planning on keeping my 2006 another 5 years minimum.
    However, if there seems to be a future opportunity (cost reduction) to trade-in for PHV or wagon v, I could be opportunistic.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My existential question is whether to keep our 15 year old Subaru if a new car comes to live at our home.

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The disappointment is that the standard is essentially a Three + plug-in + plus heated seats but is priced out of the range for most buyers.

I just hope that in a year when they expand production they offer a Two model and they are able to drop the price differential. I'd hate to think that either they're simply pocketing the tax credit or that their batteries are expensive.

13. garglo

garglo Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I would like to see the plugin just become an option, with maybe 3 different battery sizes.

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    AAA, AA, and for serious drivers, D.

Tom

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You can already buy a bra for the Prius, today.

16. StuffOnARock

StuffOnARock Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *bump*

I've decided, Winter Grey Plug-in Prius base trim for me... only accessory will be floor mats and a cargo mat, unless the illuminated door sills show up under accessories, then I'll get those. Those are too neat to pass up. ;)

17. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My thoughts on colors after viewing Evan Fuscos three pages of thumbnail links to the photos.

1. Blizzard is what it's been for the past 2 years - beautiful but I'd prefer bisque or lighter misty gray interior with it.
    2. Winter gray - love it, but wish for a slightly lighter interior! I would upgrade to a light color leather if one CAN do it in this car with its seat heaters being standard.
    3. Silver - not for me.
    4. Seaglass green - I cannot figure this color out. It photographs so strangely. Evan's many pics show it being light to a deep teal green like turquoise green BUT do not know if I can handle the gray interior on green.
    5. The clearwater blue seems best choice to pair with the gray, for me. It's just light enough to not show the SoCal freeway dirt and dust in my commute and just pastel enough to not feel like silver.

I'm leaning towards the blue. But, I love the winter gray with that thick chrome strip across the back. It's just that my son's 2010 is winter gray and he's objecting to us having the same color!

18. Brant

Brant Plugged-In Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sold my '08 Civic Hybrid the other day and am anxiously awaiting the order process for my base trim Prius PHV! (and subsequently quit visiting GreenHybrid and registered here :)

- Brant

19. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Great minds think alike, well, not really alike, since my process of elimination was a lot less tortured than yours! I'm probably going blue if I order, mostly because it reminds me of my 2004 Seaside Blue, and green is the only other real color. Just not interested in white, grey or silver, and the green is too light or puke green in some light. Give me a nice solid forest green or turquoise, and I'd probably be all over it. If they had it in red, I probably would have gone that route this time, even though I don't really like Toyota's reds that much (love the Lexus red though). The baby blue is a bit more baby blue than I would prefer, but its strong, its different, and it will be easy to spot in a crowded parking lot! I don't like the camry in the baby blue, but it's not bad on the Prius. Besides, it will go well with those ridiculous blue emblems!

By the way, I could be misremembering, but I think I remember you and HTMLSpnr being pretty excited about the original grayish green color the first time you saw it back in 2004. I think the new interior color will be just fine with the metallic grey...

20. Hurly64

Hurly64 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm just looking at the payback period in terms of the savings on gas. I wouldn't own the car long enough to get back the extra $4000 in cost over a new Prius iv. At 50% electric usage, it would take me 8 years of gas savings to break even on that extra 4k. THe only reason I'd get it is for the white HOV sticker, but those won't be good for 8 years. THey are only good til 2015 as of now. I'm happy with my 2005 Prius.
    But everyone's situation is different.