1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor visibility through outside rear view mirrors on dirty/snowy roads

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Maciej_S, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Maciej_S

Maciej_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Recently I made my first long trip with 2010 Prius. It is winter and so the roads were often snowy and/or dirty. I experienced pretty bad visibility through outside rear view mirrors. The problem was that the dirt seemed to be accumulating particularly intensely on the side windows right on exact spot where I see the mirrors. It seems that the aerodynamics cause the water sprayed by cars in front and my own windshield liquid to first flow around A pillar onto the side window and then to dry out and leave any dirt in those particular places. The problem was augmented because it was pretty difficult to remove the dirt effectively with just a paper on a petrol station.

I was traveling relatively fast (on Autobahn), 145 km/h~90mph.

Did anyone experience the same problem. Did you try some remedies?

2. User37

User37 Can spell PRIUS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some cars are worse some better, only solution I found so far is to keep a water bottle in the car (during summer when it will not freeze) or use some water from the windscreen washers.
    Without water you will never get it clean. BTDT :)

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since I have never experienced that in over 9 years with 3 different Prius, despite having to deal with lots of winter sand & salt mess, I'd say it was the driving speed. I don't go anywhere near that fast.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 97 Camry was worse. With the aerodynamic design with no channels around the windshield, water tends to run around the sides in all locations. My side windows would have mud streaks all over after they sanded the roads.
    I have a bucket of water and a squeegee in the garage at home. I clean the windows as needed.
    I would keep a spray bottle and squeegee in the car with you. Perhaps one of those combo things.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haven't noticed on the old Prius. On the new one, I have water-repellent front windows so the water (and embedded dirt) slide off the front windows when I'm driving.