1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Popping noise after installing springs..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mesojdm, May 9, 2011.

1. mesojdm

mesojdm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Installed some tein h techs few weeks ago but I started noticing a "popping" when the wheel is turned left or right at low speeds. Driving down the road and hitting bumps is fine,, but at low speeds left or right I hear a weird "pop" or click coming from the front shocks. What I know;

Springs are installed correctly with the OEM rubber on the top and bottom of the new springs
    They are seated exaclty like the OEM ones
    The top nut holding strut together is tight
    The three nuts holding strut to shock tower are tight

It baffles me because when I turn left or right and hear this sound, the shocks don't turn so I can figure out what it is. Should i spray some we-40 around the strut? Could the front cv axles be not seated?
    Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated:)

2. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hmm, not sure what it meight be, but for deeper investigation I'd place the car on gravel and let one turn the steering wheel. Listen to the sound from the outside. And never spray WD40 to the struts, especially not where WD40 may reach the sealants of the struts as they may get damaged. Use grease instead. But first, find out where the noise is comming from.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't have given better advice. Thanks Robby.

If your can find a shop willing to let your put the car on a lift long enough to just check where the sound is coming from that would be better than a gravel road and safer than running the car on jack stands.

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you install it yourself or go to a shop? If it's the latter I'd go back to the shop and tell em what's up.

5. drunkin master

drunkin master Contributing Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    check to see if you are rubbing the under fender wheel covers. I have the htechs and no popping sound. I do scrape the bottom on large enough bumps though.
    If a shop installed it take it back right away.
    If it was a diy then I would work my way back and just make sure everything is in order.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

6. mesojdm

mesojdm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the reply. It was a DIY and I have done many spring installs and they turn out fine. Upon further examination I had the wife turn the wheel in the garage when I look up in the fender well. The "popping" or creaking seems to be coming from the upper part of the spring. It appears that when the wheel is turned(left or right) the spring rotates as well. When the spring turns with the wheel, the top rubber is "creaking" or squeaking pretty much. Is this normal? Or is the spring suppose to be stationary when he wheel turns?

7. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like you didn't seat the spring right. Mine doesn't make any noise

8. PSIcho

PSIcho New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Are you sure its seated properly? Or perhaps upside down. Also, is the popping noise caused by just turning the wheel but the car is stationary or when its moving? If the car is moving they it can possibly be the axles.

9. brozroy

brozroy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have same sound.

I installed tanabe and scion tc rims on my car.

Did you find out?

10. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Question: You both have noise/sound on ver II and III cars. Is there a difference in the suspension between Version II/III and IV/V ?

I ask because the RS*R Titanium springs I do have ready to install are only valid for the "Touring" model in Japan, what seems to be the V version in the US. So if there's a difference (i.e. in the damper top mounts, or other suspension related things) between the version you might have an issue too.

11. MSK

MSK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Check the nut on top of the cup that sits on the spring. Chances are that you over tightened it. I have seen this mistake several times. The nut should be set in the same position as it was from the factory. Typically I will mark the top of the threads before I remove the nut. If the right side is good, you can count the threads and match on the left side.

This solution has worked for me on several lowering installs on Subaru's and Mitsu's. I assume that it is no different on the Prius. A strut is a strut you know?

MK

12. dynasty

dynasty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    did you catch the 1/2" thick collar/washer that sits under the lock nut? there should only be a few threads sticking out beyond the top of the locknut nut. If you assembled the spring without the collar or if it is inthe wrong position, it could be the issue with the popping sound.

13. j-werkz

j-werkz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Does anyone know how much thread should be left sticking out?
    A picture would really help a lot

I think I have the same problem

TIA

14. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You didn't seat the pillow bushing properly is where my money is at. And just for shits and giggles make sure your lugnuts are tight. the top hat bolt has a disgustingly high tq spec on it. you should be hitting the Tq spec not 'setting it to how it was factory'.

15. E MERICA

E MERICA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    did you ever figure this out?

five axis prius having the same issue

:)

16. Sweet n Low

Sweet n Low Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anybody solve this problem?

17. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I read somewhere that this type of clunking can occur when the lower insulator ("Coil Spring Insulator Lower" in the diagram below) is not installed correctly with the new springs. I would start with checking if the spring is sitting on bare metal or if maybe the insulator is bound up or damaged.

[​IMG]