1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Popping noises from thermal expansion of the rear spoiler?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Wolfstar, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Wolfstar

Wolfstar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drive two Pri, both 2010, Winter Grey, II series. One is my own vehicle, the other is the car I use to transport animals for the Veterinarian practice I work at. For some reason, the work Prius, when sitting in the (Phoenix Arizona) sun for more than a few minutes starts making popping noises. I can be parked for several minutes with the car and ac on waiting for clients to bring out sick animals. I traced the noise back to the seam where the plastic rear spoiler meets the hatch back glass seal. The noise can be heard from the exterior of the car. My own Prius does not do this, however the work Prius has over 100k on the clock, while I am just turning 56K on mine. Is this something to expect in the form of squeaks and rattles as these vehicles get older with more miles under them?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't say I've heard of anything like this before. Can you wiggle the spoiler and see if any of the bolts are loose? I can't imagine a popping sound from the spoiler.

I'm wondering if you are mistaken this sound with the sound of the HV battery fan. Maybe that fan is clogged and can't turn on. You are hearing a popping sound from the motor trying to turn? Just a guess, not sure.

3. Wolfstar

Wolfstar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, it is definitely from the spoiler. I can hear it from the outside and can stop it by tweaking the rear spoiler...A popping sound every 3 to 4 seconds once the car is parked.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    disgruntled factory workers left popcorn kernels in there. was it built on a friday?

5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like the spoiler may have had an encounter and broke one or more of the attachments tabs. Or, perhaps the screws are not tight enough.