1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Portland OR in an CT200h, NX300h or (2015) Prius?

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by CTorPrius?, May 25, 2014.

?
  1. 2015 NX300h

38.5%
  2. 2015 CT200h

38.5%
  3. 2015 Prius

30.8%
  4. 2015 GLA250

7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CTorPrius?

CTorPrius? Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all. This is my first post. I'm moving to Portland and I've decided that I'm going to get a new car when I do that. I need some advice on a new car.

Things I want in a car:
    - Bright Headlights (LED preferred)
    - Bluetooth Audio & Hands free Integration
    - Fuel Efficiency
    - Back seats that fold flat.
    - Good reliability
    - Lower TOC over 5-10 years

I would say that I do a decent job in hypermilling. I am able to get upwards of 55mpg on my 2010 Honda Insight right now. Originally, my list consisted of the following cars (and the notes/feelings I had towards them):

A3 Sedan (road noise, base model was decently equipped)
    Golf MK7 (similar priced as a CT, not nearly as fuel efficient, might as well get the CT)
    CT200h (seems a little small, but I did just see 2 baby seats in the back of one)
    NX300h (seems a little large and tall X3 competitor vs X1 and prefer X1 size, price might be much more, seats may not fold flat, gas consumption significantly higher than CT)
    2015 Prius (I'm waiting, hope it'll be nice and it better be real nicely appointed when compared to the CT at comparable price)
    Tesla (Not sure I can go without gas yet, not crazy about the front oval mouth, TOC undeterminable)
    ES300h (wood interior, has great mileage, cost, wish there was the IS300h in the US)
    Mazda 3 (car reboot on me on the freeway, not buying a car that does that)
    GLA (seems like a baby B class, not sure about the TOC, CLA's interior has a cheap finish, GLA supposedly follows the same design philosophy).

I've eliminated most leaving these as the remaining vehicles:
    CT200h
    NX300h
    2015 Prius

It's probably not fair to talk about cars that aren't out right now, but nonetheless, I'd like to include them since I'll be buying late 2014/early 2015. I have some flexibility on the purchase time as well. Here are some thoughts I have:

1. If I were going to get the CT200h, I'd get it in the white F sport package. I'd be interested in getting it with the black perforated interior with the bamboo dash, door sill and card key. The cost is around 37k. Estimates for the NX are coming in with a starting price around 40k. However, the NX has the new design philosophy and LED everything.

2. Should I be buying old tech? CT vs NX

3. What is the Prius going to be doing in 2015? The 2014 Prius has a ton of road noise. It's worse than my 2010 Insight.

What other ideas/suggestions do you guys/gals have?

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Prius will win for fuel economy and cost of ownership. It'll probably be at least $5k less than the competition when comparatively equipped. Add the fuel efficiency and reliability that's probably at least as good as the others, and it would be pretty difficult for the others to have a lower TOC. So if you want the most money left in your pocket, go for the Prius (even better would be a used one).
    Going off your list of what you want, the Prius is almost the sure winner in every category. However, the fact that you're considering the others tells me that you have other criteria.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Set your priorities with weights, and decide on a car size.

The CT is pretty quiet, but a lot can be done with most cars with the right tyre choice.

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    54.3 mpg UK imperial Gallons = 45 US mpg.
    I would say Prius Plug-In since you are accustomed to high mpg, or unless the 2015 Prius is GenIV.

5. CTorPrius?

CTorPrius? Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I will keep my eye out for the new Prius. *fingers crossed* that it's a real good one!

6. CTorPrius?

CTorPrius? Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect that the NX might be too big of a car for me. It's just me, myself and I. Although when I go camping, I enjoy sleeping in the car. I've tried to lay in the back of the CT and it is possible.

7. CTorPrius?

CTorPrius? Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What kind of tyres do you suggest?

8. CTorPrius?

CTorPrius? Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have reservations about that. I mean, it is rated that, but what will I actually get? As an SUV, I would be surprised if I was able to get over 40mpg, especially with all the added tech I would get in the car (and the heavy panorama glass roof). I'm guessing that number is for the the base version. I heard that this is one of the reasons why the glass roof was not offered on the ES300h (weight and performance). Of course, this is all dealer talk :p But I am curious and I would consider this to be a big win, if my non-lead foot is able to achieve 45 US MPG without trying too hard.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I sleep in my Prius Vagon. An inflatable mattress fits nicely, and the 12v in the back is so convenient.
    The Prius Vagon is hard to beat; for my use and priorities no other car comes close.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Re: quiet tyre choice,

tirerack.com has road noise as a characteristic. Pick a quiet one

11. CTorPrius?

CTorPrius? Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should seriously look in to that car. It seems very multifunctional!

12. CTorPrius?

CTorPrius? Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I can't seem to find it. Is it not available on LRR tyres?

13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You will have to do some homework, or try to chat with F8L, the forum's tyre guy.

In general, fuel economy and tyre noise tend to move in opposite directions. Of course some are better than others but you should expect to compromise somewhat.

The only thing I can say against the Prius Vagon is that it looks ho hum*, but in my world that is not the first, second or third priority.

*Truthfully though, I say the same about all wagons.

#13 SageBrush, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  14. CrypticGator

CrypticGator New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know I'm extremely late, my post may be useful for another person. The only reason fuel economy is a concern for me is because I want to be a seemly useless atom that together makes up all hybrid drivers. The carbon footprint is reduced a bit because of us. That being said, I may sacrifice some fuel economy for personal comfort. I want to get the NX hybrid sometime in the future.

My friend has a Prius, I forgot which one, and I've only driven it in the city with very little traffic. I own a 2011 CT200h.
    -MPG on the prius can be 10-20mpg greater. I get 33-37 on the city. At night with empty roads, good lights I can get 45+. On my friend's prius I got 45 I think. With my car on the highway it depends how fast I'm driving. Since my job is 50 miles away, I usually drive at 80mph. I get about 33 mpg at that speed. 36 at 70. 40 at 60. and 51mpg at 50-56mph . I've only driven back home at such slow speeds. It's too dangerous though, especially in Miami, FL in the palmetto expressway.
    -Noise sucks in my car, it is at least 3x worse on the prius. I don't know if I have the Michelin Primacy tires. But they are Michelin
    -The gas and brake pedals feel flimsy and funny on the prius.
    -Even if there were no difference in noise and pedals, the CT is much more comfortable.
    -The tech for fuel measurements in my friend's prius. Is 100x better than mine. I have a non-navigation unit.

This is my 100% unbiased opinion. That is easy to accomplish because I have nothing to gain on who chooses who. I feel better just knowing I helped someone get what's right for them.

15. CrypticGator

CrypticGator New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also forgot handling and performance is better with the Lexus. I don't get it since the engine should be the same.

16. MattNiem

MattNiem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius has lower drag coefficient, it increases MPG. CT has more sophisticated rear suspension which explains better handling I think.